1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I also thought SW would only be closed for a few weeks - still no idea when it will re-open. I've resisted the on-line thing as managing to keep on track (just) but I will be very glad when they re-open! I know all those who say 'You're just paying someone to weigh you' have a point - but if it works for you, I say go with it!

caterpillartobutterfly and Ezzie like this.
  2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

3. lizgaskell

Oops

don’t think I meant to do that !

4. lizgaskell

Well, thought I’d had a better week but another half a pound on

Sitting on my backside at that laptop ain’t doing me any good ...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Back to the health club tomorrow for Body Balance. Havent done it before. My weight is OK but the lockdown exercise regime has slipped a bit.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Good luck...I love Body Balance classes.

I've discovered a heap of workouts on youtube which work well on OH's fancy TV. So lots more class type exercise than I usual have time for, but rather less incidental exercise.
    PopSugar is fab
    Walk at Home (Leslie Sansone) is rather more than just walking!
    Can't remember the name of the fab Pilates ones, but she lies on a beach or a rock to talk you through the workouts...

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  7. lizgaskell

Glad to see we are all still trying here! I’ll have a look at that walk from home

Walking has been my saviour. About five days a week I Have managed 10-12 miles and my legs ache quite a bit!
    I have also done some fab online dumbell Classes with a nice chap called Zeus Fitness.

weight? Five pounds heavier than pre lockdown - lost a whole pound in the last three weeks - Gutted. But I’m on the right track.

three week train and trek holiday in Spain off as you can imagine but we just had two nights in a hotel in the lakes ... far too many people about In the towns for My liking but barely saw anyone off the beaten track. I realise the irony as I wanted to escape the seaside town I live in as it Also heaving.

got a lot of school work to do but am so far in denial and avoiding it as a) I need some time off- it’s the holidays and Easter and half term Frankly didn’t happen b) there is so much to do I don’t know where to start! C) things may change 11th August and I have spent Many days this year doing things that go on to be a total waste of my time (even when I knew it would be but slt insisted.)

Have a great Few weeks folks

8. caterpillartobutterfly

That's a decent distance for a daily walk...well done indeed.
    Bet it's a 'nice ache' in the legs.

9. lizgaskell

It is caterpillar very satisfying.

reckon I have the exercise cracked. Just need smaller portion sizes now !

sunshineneeded likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL
    I can do sensible eating habits in term time
    I can do sensible exercise regimes in the holidays
    If I can find a way to do both at the same time, I'll be thinner, fitter and healthier!

lizgaskell likes this.
  11. sunshineneeded

Glad everyone I'd doing ok - I agree, @lizgaskell, walking has worked for me too. At least it's stopped me gaining too much when I've slipped off the healthy eating wagon!

Hoping to get in lots of walking on a break in Devon this week, but weather truly atrocious today. Will brave it later, don't think I'm burning many calories playing Trivs!

Need to get back to basics next week, SW re-opens on 12 August.

12. sunshineneeded

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

14. lizgaskell

Ooh just got a message to say my weights class is back on from next week

and this morning I was two kinds lighter

chicken and frozen veg is working! And walking my legs off

15. lizgaskell

‘Kinda’ should be pounds!! Good grief

16. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL I was impressed that you lost two of something or other...!

I lost two milligrams maybe?

17. lizgaskell

First gym class tonight!! Oh o ache all over.

even my legs ache and they have never stopped in four months .

Oh yes!

18. caterpillartobutterfly

I bought an e-bike on Saturday...slightly overestimated my abilities to cycle longer distances.
    Granted it's easier to go up hills, as long as you keep pedalling, but the thing weights a ton!

It's a nice ache though.

19. sunshineneeded

Enjoy the e-bike, caterpillar! I'd love one but, living in London, there's not much point - I'd never cycle on the road. And I have very strong opinions about the vast number of cyclists who now feel it's their right to ride on the pavement.

Well done with the gym class, @lizgaskell. The aches are worth it!

I've signed up for the virtual Walk from London to John o'Groats Challenge ... think it's 876 miles. You aim to walk it in a year. I've been keeping up well with the walking and know I could do it easily if I didn't work. I don't see myself setting out to march 4 miles at 7pm on a November evening! But I'm only doing 3 days a week this year, so I'll have to do long walks on the other days.

Back on the Slim Fast for a couple of weeks to lose the holiday pounds from Devon ... but it was worth it! There's nothing like warm scones with clotted cream ....

20. lizgaskell

Ooh sunshine! I’m Googling that waking challenge x sounds ace