1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes, they told me about preparing for the examination.
    Thanks for the links you sent.

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hey
    How is everyone coping? Dieting is strange at the moment... I am on a rota at school every now and then and working creating resources for the website but eating more food that I should really.

trying to run everyday this week, now that I’ve accepted the long term situation!

have a set of weights but not really very good at motivating myself without the class so tomorrow will try to use YouTube!

without MFP I would be out of control! It’s really helping to be honest x

even had a chocolate bar this afternoon but counted it in today’s calories and I am on track.

Take Care everyone - I know that keeping fit and getting the weight off isn’t a priority during these times but it’s something else to focus on!
    Liz

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi @lizgaskell, glad you're doing ok. I'm the same. Rota at school, but our numbers were so low that we're now part of a hub with 3 other schools and I'm not on the rota until the Easter holidays. Trying to do a couple of hours school work (creating resources, updating plans, researching for September, etc) every afternoon.

Spring cleaning (have decided that burns calories), baking and binge box set watching (that definitely doesn't)!!! Quite enjoying the baking, but OH only eats so much! I've left some outside neighbours' doors, but I know I'm eating too much.

Working now on making my daily walk more of a fitness exercise - power walking where I can, trying to go a bit further in the hour allowed every day. Weighed myself yesterday and still on track at the moment.

Still can't imagine this going on for 6 months, but we may all have to get used to it. It's a real cop out, but I've stopped watching the news so often - it worries and upsets me, keeps me awake at night. I've decided I need a project; I know it should be something in the house that needs doing, but I can't get into that idea - last night I found myself browsing the free courses offered by the OU … I must be getting desperate!

Stay safe and well.

lizgaskell likes this.
  4. lizgaskell

Hey sunshine

good plan with the walking; it’s great for taking your mind off things too!

I realise I am very lucky to have a garden so I’m really wanting to get out there and tidy it up. My son bought me some veg seeds for Mother’s Day and they still need planting in pots and then I need to make a spot for them for when they need spreading out.

Weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost half a pound , which is better than putting it on!

I know what you mean about the news too! My mum lives in Spain and it’s pretty worrying to be honest.

5. lizgaskell

Worked 8-11.45 and then ran four miles!

And I will do a couple of hours of work this afternoon but that’s it.

I will try same structure tomorrow.

That half a pound cane back this morning but I suppose if we can get out of this without putting weight on it’ll be something

6. lizgaskell

Hey all

Just wondering how people are doing? Running every day bit happening as I need to also be company to hubby on his walks and that’s our allotted time done . However, managed to get hold of some weights and I started doing that yesterday - nice satisfying ache this morning .

my weight, like my mood, is variable! Four pounds up and down is not uncommon and I’m almost tempted to stop weighing myself although I’m worried things will spiral out of control if I don’t monitor it at least.

just listened to a BBC podcast about staying fit in the lockdown and one of the girls on it said that she wants to stay fit so she can be better prepared to fight the virus if she gets it. Good motivation

Another said we have to be more accepting of things now and that we need to take the pressure off. Also good advice.

so a bit of gardening this morning and a walk this afternoon and that’ll do me

take care all

7. sunshineneeded

I'm still doing much the same as last week - aren't we all? Know I'm building my stamina, walks are getting longer and I can keep up a good pace for a longer time. I'm trying to eat healthily with much more time to cook from scratch, which is nice. Weight seems to be fairly stable.

Mood is very up and down - good days and not so good. Like everyone else, missing family. The lovely weather has been a real boost, just sitting in the garden listening to the birds is such an uplift. But I do believe we'll come out of this stronger in the end - and maybe with some of our priorities changed.

Stay safe and well, everyone.

lizgaskell likes this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Just thought I'd pop a post on here to see if I'm still being premoderated. I've been permanently famished since lockdown started and have gained 5lb. No proper exercise, no self-discipline and plenty of time to bake!

Ezzie and lizgaskell like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

10. lizgaskell

Hi Aquamarine

same here with food. I seem to need another meal during the day and go to the fridge too often! I probably ask ‘can we have an early tea?’ Every single day now too!

And it looks like I’ve overdone the walking and my left foot is really painful ... so now I will have to take extra care in terms of food.

more booze? Yup

Stress? Yup - rank ordering a core year 11 cohort is quite complex (to say the least) and full of responsible. Doing shifts at school when kids (and adults) seem to think they are In some sort of protective dome that doesn’t need to operate like the rest of the world and the massive life changes we are all living through are taking some adapting too.

Not just me I’m sure

sunshineneeded and Ezzie like this.
  11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Well if 2020 is the year to get fit, I'm failing. I'm in complete lock down, so gardening is really my only exercise.
    I haven't put on any weight, I suppose that's better than gaining!

lizgaskell likes this.
  12. sunshineneeded

As we are now released from self-isolation, it was wonderful to be able to go out for a walk again today. Managed 4 miles. I tried to get into on-line exercise classes indoors, but wasn't very successful. I'm not losing any weight, but not gaining any either - and you're right, @grumbleweed, staying the same is definitely preferable to putting it on!
    @lizgaskell, we're eating earlier too - tend to have lunch around midday, then dinner about 5.30, whereas we normally try to eat by 6.30 but it's often 7. Trouble with the early dinner is that by 8ish you find yourself making for the kitchen thinking 'What shall I have for supper?' And four meals a day definitely won't help the weight!!!

lizgaskell likes this.
  13. sunshineneeded

Bumping this thread up! How's everyone doing?
    I set myself a target last week of walking a marathon - 26 miles. Achieved it yesterday, 26.56m. Very satisfying! I'm definitely building up my stamina - still have problems with my back and knee, but I don't think those will every go away now. I tell myself they'd be much worse if I wasn't keeping as active as possible.
    Eating too much (cake already in the oven this morning!) but walking must be doing something as weight remaining the same at the moment. Very fed up with all this cooking; OH is getting too used to a cooked breakfast every morning!
    Have a good day, everyone.

Aquamarina1234 and lizgaskell like this.
  14. lizgaskell

Hey sunshine!

Haven’t weighed In for a few days but was about the same when I did. Was being very active but had to wind it in after I got totally obsessed and got an injury.

I feel a bit fat and bloated today but hope this is hormonal. Work very busy! Fielding so many emails from parents and students and just started using Google Classrooms so it’s quite full on 8-6 ish although I have discovered a new phenomenon- it’s called lunch. You can eat and also go to the loo, sweep the kitchen floor and maybe get the washing on ... how I ever coped with 11 mins between lessons I’ll never know!

Not helping my weight even though I try and keep it healthy.

I am going to try and have more time out tomorrow as i originally thought it would be less full on silly me.

I like the idea of the marathon too! Might steal that sunshine!

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm doing OK and mostly because the doc reckons I need to be gluten free so I haven't had any bread for more than a month. Bread has always been my downfall but being told it could make me ill, I'm not tempted to have a slice. So I'm down two pounds - not much I know but I feel quite fit too. We've walked every day and have averaged 3miles / day, then with daily yoga it's working for me. If I get tested eventually and I'm not coeliac I'll find it hard to resist bread again.
    Meanwhile what do I do with half a ton of fishcakes and several quiches in the freezer?

lizgaskell and sunshineneeded like this.
  16. sunshineneeded

@lizgaskell, that's a very full-on day! You definitely deserve a real lunch break in the middle.

@lindenlea, 2lbs down and feeling fitter is great. My son was on a gluten free diet until he was four years old (now 44). The world was not as 'free from' diet friendly 40 years ago. I remember it well - Great Ormond Street Hospital arranged for me to have gluten-free flour delivered regularly and I had to bake Farley's-style rusks with it. I thought they tasted dreadful, but he munched them happily and is fit and healthy now.

You'll have to have a fishcake-and-quiche party for all your friends when lockdown is over!

lizgaskell and lindenlea like this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

18. lizgaskell

How are things folks?

Thought it might be worth getting back on here after 14 weeks ( ?!) of lockdown ...

I stopped weighing myself A couple of weeks ago partly because I had gained four pounds and I was annoyed with myself. I am currently living in denial.

I feel bigger and things are a bit tighter including my bras!

So frustrating because I have been trying so hard but the last couple of weeks work demands have ramped up massively. I am preparing to teach all of year ten remotely as of Monday so will use it as a new start.

Decided To build a routine around the teaching hours and get some form of exercise in every day.

Will also weigh in again now every Saturday - like I did before- and will start this next Saturday after a week of the new routine!

What about you?

Anyone else need a kick at the backside?

19. sunshineneeded

Hi @lizgaskell, good to hear from you.

I'm doing OK - have actually managed to maintain weight despite eating for England - but maybe all the cooking from scratch is healthier and better for weight? I guess we always knew that anyway!

I've had time to do that as, until now, I've only had 3 or 4 days in school and my on-line stuff has only taken a couple of hours a day at most. But we open tomorrow and I'm back four full days a week, in a Year 6 bubble. Not sure how I feel about it ... I'm only planning on one more year after this before retiring and, during lockdown, I did sort of think "Well, I've done it now, so why not bring it forward a year and go this summer?" Decided against it - felt it was for the wrong reasons - but have definitely made up my mind to cut down to 3 days a week next year.

Think all the walking has helped my weight stay stable; I've been averaging 30 miles a week. I know I won't be able to keep that up once I'm back at work, but I'll be sorry not to and will do my best to do as much as I can. Really enjoyed it.

Hope Year 10 goes well tomorrow! Don't beat yourself up about a few extra pounds - you'll drop them quickly when you get into a new routine.

lizgaskell likes this.
  20. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I thought that Slimming World would only be closed for a couple of weeks - how naive was that?! - so I thought I could manage by myself. However I also felt the pounds creeping back on so I joined the online SW thing. I‘d actually only gained 4lbs and I’ve since lost 2 so I’m quite pleased with that. Even if it still means I haven’t lost any weight at all since this time last year, but it also means I haven’t put any on either! I’m determined to lose the last 6lbs I need to get to target before start of the new school year (August for me here in Scotland). But, yes, definitely not a time to be beating ourselves up over a few extra pounds. x