1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

That sounds like a good idea...

makes sense doesn’t it?

rejoined MY Fitness Pal this morning and the good news is that in 2012 I was 14 stone!

so that’s some good news

install likes this.
  2. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Back out after the storms and a slip on wet leaves which stopped me running for about a week. @lizgaskell rereading the 2018 thread and you were doing a half marathon on same day as me. I've got 2 booked in and another marathon. I really need the target to keep myself focused.

lizgaskell and lindenlea like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@sunshineneeded Husband had a new half knee in June, then damaged his knee in early December. he hasn't been great at doing the physio but it has very slowly improved. This week he has walked 5 miles, gone a few strolls, done a bit in the garden, knocked around 50 balls at the driving range, been to a barn dance and played 9 holes of golf. Today his leg feels stiff but not painful. He's still being very careful. Don't underestimate how long it takes to heal ( although I agree, from October is a long time)

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. lizgaskell

Wow Tartuffe

I remember that one well. It was a tough half too as it was across some cliffs that had collapsed into the sea overnight and had to be rerouted.

I need to get my running mojo back and you are right- a focus will help

I’ll take a look at what’s on

install likes this.
  5. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Just started doing some weights as well - just some basic stuff and not heavy weights but trying to really kick start again. I really want to get back to Summer 2018 weight and am probably being a bit impatient.

6. lizgaskell

Weights are my thing these days Tartuffe just got back from my weight class

Walked five miles too.

Logging all food and water on MFP which has refocused me too.

I think ‘impatience’ is something most of us on this thread can identify with too!

7. lizgaskell

Okay, weigh in this morn hang and I’m six pounds down! Wow!

Recording everything I eat and drink - and exercise- seems to have really helped and got me back on track.

Mind you, I think it’s also my age! Going up and down on the scales might be my new ‘normal’ but I’d rather the range of as smaller so will carry on now in the same way and see how it goes.

How is everyone doing?

have a really sore throat this morning though

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

That's great, @lizgaskell! Six pounds is fab - one more and that's half a stone.

I'm not doing too badly with the diet - not being able to be very active because of my knee is making me watch what I eat more carefully than usual, otherwise I know the results will be dire. Veg and lentil stew cooking at the moment, for tonight and lunch at work on Monday. I'm working on it!

Still doing the exercises religiously, but not sure if they're making any difference. Back on 11 March, so will see what they say then.

lizgaskell likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Not doing great. Friend's birthday yesterday didn't help - you can't say no to birthday cake can you. I do eat sensibly - tonight it will be fish with green veg, toms and brocc but it really does cling on and if its a life time thing there have to be some treats ( it's Saturday, there will be wine)

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  10. lizgaskell

Two steps forward and one back.

I have just had a Chinese
    It was fab.

to make up for it we just decided to leave the car in town and walk home which was a good 35 mins in wind and rain!

I will eat only dust next week ...

sunshineneeded and lindenlea like this.
  11. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I got weighed in as a target member at Slimming World and was only half a pound up which I was so pleased with.
    My friend came round yesterday so we decided to have a takeaway Pizza
    I felt very naughty in my old age.

lizgaskell likes this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh I need help! Anything anyone can say to help me get a grip?

13. lizgaskell

Hey Lindenlea

not sure really but having a short, medium and long term goal might help?

so I want to just lose something this week, be 11.4 for Easter hols and be down to 11 stone by summer.

Also want to get up to a half marathon - again- and basically be fitter x

if you like ticking things off and short term goals this might help?

My Fitness Planner has helped me this last week or so? Try to download the app?

lindenlea likes this.
  14. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Can I join you guys? Weighed myself last week (I tend not to as it makes me very anxious) and I was 20kg heavier than my lightest weight (when I was admittedly quite unhealthy and obsessively exercising and controlling food) 5 years ago when I was a trainee teacher.
    I'd like to shift a bit of weight (we're looking at having a trying for a kiddo soon) and I'd like to be closer to my waist size when I got married in October (4cm smaller than now).
    I use my fitness planner and I do couch to 5k too :)

lizgaskell likes this.
  15. lizgaskell

Hey! Welcome

The more the merrier. We are all , I think, very differently weights and have different goals and reasons for losing weight ...

Ooo! Better log my dinner on MFP.

Been pretty poorly this week and eaten what I please frankly because sometimes I don’t feel like it at all. No exercise - because of being unwell- is really annoying and frustrating though

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Bmackender and welcome!

Not had the greatest week - a family bereavement last weekend caused me to go off track with my diet, and that's sort of continued through the week. But I'm well aware that I can use any excuse to slip - if I'm anxious, tired, upset, feeling under the weather or super-happy! Deep down, I know that's the reason I'm constantly fighting the flab … because I see it as 'being on a diet' rather than a total lifestyle.

Off to see a show tonight with dinner out first for daughter's birthday - and you've got to make the most of that, haven't you? What's the point of being in a lovely restaurant and having boiled rice and a lettuce leaf? Like I said, any excuse!!!!!!

Hope you're feeling better, @lizgaskell, and have a good weekend everyone.

lizgaskell likes this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@lizgaskell I like your advice. I'm not usually a comfort eater but have slipped up in the last few weeks.
    So, only fruit between meals
    Get back to more exercise - if Spring gets a move on it will help. I had a great yoga session this am, felt really fresh and was pleased with how I felt.
    Really think about any starchy carbs - I just dont need them - other foods are delicious too.

18. lizgaskell

Hey all

So, after two weeks off ( work commitments and being poorly) I made it to my gym class last night.

It was hard, as I expected, but felt great. I even walked there as is my habit and, for the first time this year, it wasn’t dark!
    Reckon it did me the world of good as I have a very satisfying ache this morning!

feel motivated and today I am going to almost fast ...

Almost.

until teatime that is!

MFP and filling in what I eat every day is really helping

sunshineneeded and lindenlea like this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Signed up for MyFitnessPal. I'm not usually a calorie counter - rely more on what I know about what works but at the moment I need something else. Might last until tomorrow but here we go. 5 mile walk today with lunch but not much for tea is the plan. Thanks again @lizgaskell You're my inspiration! Hospital appt tomorrow might throw it all up in the air though.

20. lizgaskell

Hey

A very busy day but managed to just get to the gym again tonight - twice this week.

food?

is it okay that I had fish and chips for tea? Look, I live near the sea and they are amazing!

mind you hasn’t taken me over my allotted calories on MFP

I might even have wine later!

Ezzie and sunshineneeded like this.