1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hey sunshine

I do have fibroids!

anyway I’m planning a long walk in the countryside later just gotta mark this set of year 11 books ...

have a super week everyone

Sundaytrekker and sunshineneeded like this.
  2. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Great determination, @lizgaskell! I managed to get out this morning for 5km. In -4 temperature. Weigh in on Sunday showed 8 lb loss since beginning of January.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ate like a pig over the weekend and have so many layers of clothes on I feel like Mrs Michelin. Didn't get on the scales and weight is always up on a Monday night (?) but I'll weigh tomorrow and get back on the straight and narrow. Last week I did all my planned exercise and hope to do that again this week - although the Wednesday Walk is leading to a charity breakfast - I'm doomed!

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  4. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

Rules for weighing yourself.
    Once a week at the same time in preferably the same clothes or birthday suit.
    Your weight can fluctuate 3-4 pounds in a week also you tend to be 2-3 pounds lighter first thing in the morning.
    Women's weight again fluctuates depending on their menstrual cycle.
    Certain medications can make weight loss more difficult so ask your pharmacist if you think it could be a side effect of medication.

5. lizgaskell

Good rules history educator and I try to follow them:

always naked
    Always in the morning before first cuppa and after a wee!

But I cannot escape that I am heavier than I have been for a year!

6. Tartuffe

yes always naked and first thing in the morning .

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

@Tartuffe, you're doing so well! @lindenlea, I can empathise with the 'doomed' feeling … been on a course today, and for once, lunch was supplied. Course was pretty mundane, but lunch delicious … what can you do? A few people did get out their meal replacement bars or home-made salads - sadly, I wasn't one of them!

lizgaskell, Ezzie and lindenlea like this.
  8. bookeater

Lost another 1.5 pounds so total s 3 stone 13 pounds.
    1 pound to target.

I'm having some tests at the local hospital (failed my MOT) once they have been done I've decided whatever my weight is I will use that for my target.

I passed my MOT when I was fat and failed when I have lost the weight.

lizgaskell likes this.
  9. Tartuffe

Friday and I have managed to do all 3 of my 5km runs (Mon, Wed, Fri) and have eaten sensibly. If all goes well I will be 10lbs down on Sunday. I have still kept Dry January. @HistoryEducator - great effort so far. I wish I could have kept off the weight I lost in 2018, but will get there again this year

10. lizgaskell

Finding lots of things hard at the moment (like workload, family issues ) but the weight is really getting to me now. Weighed myself Friday morning to find I am still 11 11 1/2

I can feel it too!

did a ten mile, muddy and cold, walk in the countryside yesterday . Strava recorded this as around 1500 calories so happy days. But despite trying to active and sensible with food my body is rebelling

reckon it’s my age! Hormones?

all excuses I know but I am pretty much eating same as hubby and same as before but no weight loss now. Only weight gain!

Grrrh.

rant over !

Thanks folks!!

11. Tartuffe

Sunday weigh in showed 10lbs since Jan 1st. A lot slower than 2018, but I'm starting lighter. Just back from a 6.5 km run. I am so much slower than I used to be. Must focus s on technique, but January was always going to be about getting started again.

lindenlea likes this.
  12. sunshineneeded

Just back from a 6.5k run? Before 7.00 am? Tartuffe, that's fantastic and you deserve to be doing well!
    @lizgaskell, sorry you are struggling at the moment. I hope the work and family issues improve soon, but I'm sure the weight is not helped by age and hormones ... I've been telling myself that for several years now!

lizgaskell likes this.
  13. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I’m really struggling, too. Only lost half a pound so far this year and putting my work trousers on this morning, they feel a bit tight. I really need some motivation, please! Or a slap or something. I’m only 5 pounds away from target. I’ve got relatives visiting this week so I need to make a very determined effort to not overeat and over drink which will be hard. I was so sure I’d get to target by the end of January so I’m disappointed in myself. End of February, then.
    Have a good week, everyone!

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It makes no sense. I was 4 or 5lbs lighter in December and am not making much headway this month. This happens every year - it takes me ages to get the lbs off in the winter. I may be eating higher carbs but not by much. I'm quite busy and getting in my two yogas, walk and swim each week. With husband struggling with a bad knee I'm driving more often than walking into town and there's more sitting down and less gardening because of the weather.. My clothes still fit so I'm not panicking and I'm confident it will move eventually but it's so annoying.

sunshineneeded, lrw22 and lizgaskell like this.
  15. lizgaskell

You asked for it Ezzie! This is for me too!

have been to the gym and has a healthy tea. Promised myself a walk after late meeting at school but no gym class Thursday as it parents eve- again!!

Attached Files:

sunshineneeded and Ezzie like this.
  16. bookeater

Slimming World has worked
    At target today helped unfortunately because I have been ill.
    4 stone 2.5 pounds lost since November 2018.
    I'm 2.5 pounds under target but I expect to put that on as my appetite is getting back to normal.
    Not been this weight for over 30 years.
    The ONLY problem was I was not well enough to stay in class so have not been told how to manage target.
    I will message the group leader tomorrow.

17. sunshineneeded

Congratulations, @HistoryEducator! That's a great achievement. I agree, SW works. I got to target about 3 years ago and maintained it without too much trouble for 18 months (with a few blips). Then, suddenly, I was 2lb over ... then 4lb ... and, before i knew it, half a stone. I did get back to it but that final half a stone was much harder to lose the second time around. Now, I'm right at the top of my target zone and do slip over sometimes, but I try really hard never to let it go more than a couple of pounds. I do still go to SW once a month while I'm in target. I know I'd slip right off the wagon in a month if I didn't go - that happens to so many people.
    Sadly, it doesn't get any easier!!!

lizgaskell likes this.
  18. bookeater

@sunshineneeded
    What tips can you give me for keeping within the target weight?

19. sunshineneeded

Have occasional treats - if you go out for a meal, don't worry about sins, have whatever you fancy - then have an SP day the next day. Try to have at least 4 days a week when you stick to plan; it sounds tough, but you're not doing it every day like you were. Make sure you always keep a supply of Slimming World bars or whichever other ones you like for for desperate moments!
    My best tip - if you find yourself slipping (and it happens to me regularly) then go back to keeping a food diary. Just keep it in a little notebook and write down everything you eat. It might sound daft, but I know I'm far less likely to eat that chocolate biscuit if I think to myself 'I'll have to write it down.'
    Good luck!

20. bookeater

thanks for the advice