1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I made the mistake of finding out exactly how much I weigh at the fancy pants weighing machine at the gym this morning. NOT a good start to my day, made worse by finding out that I am nearly 50% fat!!!!

However intensive 15 mins (as I was pressed for time) and then an active morning at forest school with 7 year olds means I am now shattered and so hopefully have burnt a calorie or two, will sleep well and so make good food choices tomorrow.

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  2. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Not a mistake to find out your true weight. It was only when I finally stepped on the scales and saw my weight that I really decided to do something about it. Keep going!

3. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

When I went for my annual check-up at the GP I used to tell them I did not want to know my weight.
    I knew I was overweight but when I went to slimming world I was very overweight but 2 stones lighter than I had thought I was.

Been to Slimming world this evening and lost half a pound. The group leader thinks I should stop trying to lose more weight as I seem to be hovering where I am. 3 stone 11 pounds down, I'm trying to get to 4 stones. I will make the decision next weigh-in.

4. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Well done @HistoryEducator . I’m in a similar position in that I have only 5lbs to lose to target of 3 and a half stones lost, but I’m just so not into it at the moment . Having eaten a tub of Heroes last week (I shall never forgive Tesco for reducing them to £2.50), I didn’t go to weigh-in tonight. I can see that slippery slope ahead so I have given myself a severe talking to and am determined to have a positive week and face the scales again next Tuesday. Trying to stay on track...;)

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Great job @HistoryEducator! @Ezzie, you're doing amazingly well too. We all have blips with our weight loss (I definitely do) but you've come a really long way. I must've been going to SW for too long, I'm talking like a consultant!!! I'm just - only just - within the top of my target range, so desperately trying to stay there.
    Someone recommended to me the new 'supergreen' soup from M&S for a quick lunch. It's very good and the whole tub is only just over 100 calories.

6. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hey!
    Yep, but those consultants are there to inspire us when we are struggling so, thanks!!

I might have to have a look for that soup sunshine ☀️

sunshineneeded likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

[QUOTE="sunshineneeded, post: 13010810, member: 522784"
    Someone recommended to me the new 'supergreen' soup from M&S for a quick lunch. It's very good and the whole tub is only just over 100 calories.[/QUOTE]
    Will it keep me full all afternoon? Or better still, if I have it at morning break, will it mean I don't eat school dinner even when on duty in the dining room?

8. sunshineneeded

Wish I could say yes! But it worked for lunch for me - I did have two ryvita thins with it.
    I would find it really hard not to eat school.lunch if I was on duty in the dining hall. I'd have to have eaten something pretty substantial just before!

9. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

End of the week and I am feeling pleased to have been out on 3 x 5 km runs despite the weather. Food has been good and still managing dry January. Beginning to feel the benefits as the running is becoming easier again after the long lay off. Now need to stay focused over the weekend. Weigh-in Sunday morning.

10. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I bought an electronic set of scales this morning as I've struggled to see the markings on my previous ones. Why oh why am I now half a stone heavier than I thought I was as there's that difference between new and old?!! Mind you it may be the motivation I need to do something about it!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

Definitely the scales...must be!

I've been great this week in terms of exercise, but diet has gone by the by. Next week is a new start.
    I even went on a cross trainer at the gym this morning...that was a mistake! I thought my legs were going to fall off after two minutes!

12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’m back to my usual exercise and am eating moderately. I’ve avoided most treats. It’s helped by the fact that everyone is avoiding them in January. I think I’ve lost a pound or so. It doesn’t sound much but if I compare it to two blocks of butter then that’s good. I don’t mind slow and steady but need to keep up the motivation.

13. install

install Star commenter

I am on Day 17 - no alcohol or chocies. Starting to jog too and sleep better. Cannot see any weight loss but feel a little healthier.

14. lizgaskell

Weighed myself this morning and I’m now 11 st 11 1/2! That’s one and a half more than last Saturday and 4 1/2 more than New Year’s Day.

So, had porridge for brekkie, slim fast for lunch and Morrison’s steak and salad for tea. Done 16,000 steps and the day is not over.

this is not going to beat me!

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Oooops...
    I've not tried weighing again yet.

16. lizgaskell

I am gutted - but pretending it’s fine! Had a really tough couple of weeks at school and three periods in four weeks!

17. lizgaskell

Oh caterpillar! I almost wish. I hadn’t weighed myself

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Ohhh nooo....
    4.5 pounds is fab in that case.

See your doctor though.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

They do say that it is better to know the worst and then work on it...

I think they also say ignorance is bliss, so take your pick.

20. sunshineneeded

That's really miserable - do have a chat with your GP. Similar things happened to me just before menopause time, turned out to be fibroids. Weight was very hard to control at that time too, possibly hormonal but equally possibly, I was so fed up that I just wanted to eat all the time!
    I went out to dinner on Friday night - food and cocktails were so delicious … not getting on the scales again just yet.
    Tomorrow is the start of a new week and I've planned and shopped for 'sensible' menus, so hopefully that will help me shed a few pounds. Have a good week, everyone!

lizgaskell likes this.