1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Huh!!!

I BRAVELY went to the new gym this morning, arriving at 6.45 :)eek:) and found they were just closing because they had a water leak or some such.
    Grrrrrr!

Can't do tomorrow, as I've a Drs appointment, but am going to pop in on the way to work to have a nosy about and ask about shower towels and so on, ready to be super confident on Weds.

lrw22 and sunshineneeded like this.
  2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Well done! That’s a super start ( ok so it didn’t work out but you tried!) and shows you have found the motivation you need to get you where you need to be

back at school today and ( whilst not perfect ) I defo ate much less than I have been doing at home .

Feel lumpy and heavy but think some is because it’s that tone of the month.

Back to gym class tomorrow- first for three weeks!

lrw22 and sunshineneeded like this.
  3. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Thank you for starting this thread. I really need to lose weight- realistically about 3 stone- and do more exercise. I walk the dog but he's only a King Charles so not fast!! Does anyone use/recommend a Pilates type DVD?

lrw22 likes this.
  4. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Thank you @Ezzie for the 2020 thread. After a poor 2019, I am going to summon up the mojo from 2018 to get me going this year. I put on weight last year after surgery and although managed to complete a marathon, never really got back to where I was. Now need to lose 2 stone to get back. Lost 3 lbs since 1st January when weighed in on Sunday morning - have run 12 km and Dry January. a Marathon booked for May and looking at a half in March. Male, aged 50, 16st 4 lbs on Jan 1st.

Ezzie, lrw22 and lizgaskell like this.
  5. lizgaskell

Ha Tartuffe! I love the great reveal about your age and other details !

ok, so not run yet, first gym class since before Xmas tonight and I’m 49, female and was 11 7 and 1\2 on 1st January

sunshineneeded and lrw22 like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

:eek::eek::eek:Maybe I'm just in denial about my own age and so see everyone as much younger than they are!?!
    @Tartuffe About 35
    @lizgaskell About 30
    Maybe we should have a different 'guess the age' thread?! Or maybe not, I'd clearly be useless!
    I swear I can't possibly be 47, and I certainly can't weigh almost 12 stone!
    Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

Visited the gym on the way in this morning so I know what I'm doing and where I'm going tomorrow morning in the dark. (Lovely covering colleague told me to do so and she would just cover a little longer if needed.) Soooo I'll weigh there for a definite start weight and have a go at how long it takes to run/walk a couple of miles.

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  7. lizgaskell

I actually laughed out loud! Love it that we sound younger on here!!!

mint

8. Tartuffe

@caterpillartobutterfly . If only 35 again. Slow week on the running with work starting early, but have done a pre work and lunchtime walk of 2km each day. Keeping to around 1500 calories using the free myfitnesspal app. So far keeping dry January as well so must be in correct direction

9. lizgaskell

God I get only about 18 mins for lunch so no walking for me but I’m trying to fit it in elsewhere x

10. caterpillartobutterfly

Gym is going well...it's HUGE and so no problem with finding machines away from others.
    AND some treadmills are at the front of a balcony, so I can people watch while walking/running.

Drinking only at weekends lasted until tonight...so three dry days.
    Hmmmm better than nothing.

Diet going well until today as well...can you tell it's been a stressful day?
    Still less than would have been consumed previously on a naff day, so hey ho!

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  11. lizgaskell

My second session back at the gym last night- feel good but not lighter and food not quite sorted yet.

I’ll get there!

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Sounds like you've all made a great start to the new year! (And you're all just babies … not sure when I got to be 60 plus!!!!)
    I'm really struggling to get back to the pre-Christmas healthy eating - we must all eat so much more over the whole two week holiday. It's the 'grazing' that I'm finding it so hard to cut out. Lots of people are bringing in their left-over Christmas cake, Quality Street and even delicious cheesy snack biscuits and leaving them in the staff room. Great temptation! I've got a knee problem at the moment which is making walking difficult - usually my main form of exercise. Appointment is in early February; need to get this sorted asap and diet under control before it all goes pear-shaped!

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@caterpillartobutterfly Three days alcohol free is a good start, don't beat yourself up. I've done 5 days this week and one yoga (hour and a half) and one five mile walk. Hope to swim this am. I had indigestion after NYE that lasted about a week, that's finally gone. I was beginning to think the discomfort might be something I needed to see the doctor about but seems it was just trapped wind. Serves me right :)

14. Tartuffe

I have managed to keep off alcohol so far. I did get out early and did 5km this morning in a fast pace (for me)

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Not doing so well yet. No weight loss but at least no further gain haha.
    I'm feel ancient so don't go guessing my age.

16. 60sunnysmile

60sunnysmile New commenter

It’s more about getting some exercise for me. Not a great week for me. I walked, slowly, for two blocks and really struggled. I’ll try only one block from next week and build slowly from there.

17. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’ve got back to my normal amount of exercise this week: walking, Zumba and yoga. I’ve eaten sensibly and managed to avoid extras. I don’t think the scales will show any difference yet but I must persevere.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Noooooo! 45ish?!
    [QUOTE="grumbleweed, post: 13007549, member: 193494"
    I'm feel ancient so don't go guessing my age.[/QUOTE] Thought you were similar to me... I grumble A LOT and feel very weed like a fair bit of the time.

Well done everyone making an effort...it's all gone pear shaped today. But it's Friday, I'll be reasonable over the weekend and start again on Monday.

lizgaskell and sunshineneeded like this.
  19. Tartuffe

Good morning everyone. Hope this is going to be a good week. I managed to get out this morning for a (slow) 5 km and the scales showed a total loss of 5lbs since Jan 1st - now 15st 11 lbs. It was dark and cold and started raining but I managed to stay out.

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Tartuffe breaking the stone barrier is so satisfying. Your clothes must feel more comfortable already. Have a good week. Same to everyone - have a healthy one!