1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Jeremy Vine show at the moment with examples from eat out to help out.

Small sausage bap from Costa 556 calories (looked gross)
    Chicken, chips and coleslaw from Nandos 1070 calores (looked all very fried and dry!)
    Pizza and dough balls from pizza express 1230 calories ( very brown and boring looking meal and does anyone think balls of dough and a tub of butter is healthy????)
    All very brown looking meals and no fresh fruit of veg in sight...but under £10 for a whole day. :rolleyes:

Luckily someone else talking about healthy possibilities.
    I googled it too...thinking of cycling it on my new bike instead.

lizgaskell and sunshineneeded like this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Back to SW last night - very socially distanced and you have to keep your shoes on to weigh in (wear very light flip flops)! Also have to record your own weight in your book. I was 4lb heavier than at my last visit in February, but still half a pound inside the top of my target range. I was quite pleased with that and it has motivated me to keep going - if you're within target range, you only have to weigh in once a month and don't have to pay - as well as the health aspect, that's good motivation for me!

Mind you, the Nutella doughnuts at the beach yesterday were SO delicious!

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Wow four pounds is really good going sunshine! Very motivating.

I’m getting ready for a longish walk with a friend who has only really just started joining me. Looking forward to this also be a sociable ( although distances) one!

gym tonight as someone dropped out and she rang to see if I wanted it- bit her hand off!

BUT I had a chinese last night.

for goodness sake

4. caterpillartobutterfly

I was doing really well, new electric bike is resulting in LOTS of longer bike rides, but then three days of super heat and a meal out last night has scuppered anything much this week.
    Went out for a short time on the bike this morning and it's poured with rain since. Hopefully go out again later if the rain stops. If not, then back to youtube and home workouts.

Meal out was sooooo yummy. Linguine with crab, tomatoes and chilli was delicious and the chocolate mousse cake for pudding was incredible. Even the green salad on the side couldn't get rid of all those calories and fat. Was worth it for one night though.

Egg white omelette this morning (my new found delightful breakfast) and will have cold chicken and undressed salad for lunch.

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  5. sunshineneeded

Sounds very healthy to me, caterpillar - except for the chocolate mousse cake. Yummy!

Planning to meet a friend for a walk this afternoon but keeping a watch on the weather ... if it pours, we'll meet at Costa instead which definitely won't be so good for our waistlines!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

Well all the cycling on the (cheat) bike has meant a loss of half a stone in just over a fortnight, so I'm happy with that! :)

The weather is poor here @sunshineneeded (great nickname for today!) but I managed to cycle to and from the dentist this morning, about 10 miles round trip.
    New book to read today and rain now, so unlikely to be anything more than a lazy day reading chicklit! :)

sunshineneeded likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

8. sunshineneeded

Never mind that it's a cheat bike, caterpillar - it's working amazingly. Half a stone in a fortnight is fantastic!
    Enjoy your reading, lovely way to spend a rainy afternoon. Just finished a book I loved - Class by Jenny Colgan. It's write up says 'Just like Malory Towers for grown ups'. Have now ordered the second one - Rules - from Amazon.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

LOVE, LOVE both of those...really fab.

And, in a similar vein, just recently loved 'Secrets at St Brides' and have ordered the second 'Stranger at St Brides'. They are a bit odd, but amusing none the less.
    They say '.Perfect for anyone who grew up hooked on Chalet School, Malory Towers, St Clare's and other classic school stories.' That's me then!

10. lizgaskell

Well done caterpillar! That is brilliant

Stayed the same this week but no weight on means at least it’s stopped going up!

11. sunshineneeded

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Thank you and staying the same on the occasional week is normal...and ok.
    Better luck (because it does always seem like luck!) next week

lizgaskell likes this.
  13. lizgaskell

So, weigh in last Saturday was awful and I am now bang On 12 st. This is, shamefully, 7 lbs more than I was in March and 10 lbs more than I was in November...

Focus is needed now!

So, being more careful with food, enjoying weights class and walked for two hours into town and back - via a very wet and windy beach front!

been into Superdrug and bought slim fast and a new shaker so thy my lunches will always be slimming and (more importantly) on my school bag so I am never left unprepared

how’s you?

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Something went wrong with my scales this morning and I didn't have time to sort them out. Apparently I have put on 39 stones since the weekend...:oops:

Bought Hairy Dieters Make it Easy and have made a few recipes so far, all seem delicious and filling, so here's hoping.

15. lizgaskell

Caterpillar that made me spit my tea out

16. sunshineneeded

That was indeed a bad week, Caterpillar! :)

@lizgaskell, I've done 3 weeks on SlimFast now - shake in the morning. meal replacement bar at lunchtime and a real meal in the evening, plus fruit as snack when desperate. It has worked, I'm back in my SW target range, albeit at the top end. I've had enough of the shakes and will go back to porridge for breakfast, but I'm going to continue with the bars for lunch at school for a bit longer.
    Well done for the walk today - you'll get there.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

Is slimfast nice?
    I did the Cambridge Weight Plan a fair few years ago and although it was nice enough, it wasn't delicious by any means.
    The porridge was more like sweetened ready brek and the shakes a bit artificial flavoured.

But with term starting s shake/bar/porridge for breakfast (eaten at break time) and lunch would work well.

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  18. lizgaskell

Well, hubby lost five stone doing it and still has One everyday for lunch- eve on building sites! (obs not a teacher and he’s has some funny Looks and comments) but I’ll have one occasionally too and they are fine. When at home he will pop a few slices of banana or a handful of frozen fruit in and it’s like a yummy milkshake

my fav flavours are vanilla and banana and his is strawberry.

just think it will work well at school ...

19. sunshineneeded

Delicious isn't a word I'd choose to describe the shakes - def better with a handful of frozen fruit added. Have tried Lighter Life as well and they taste much the same - all are slightly synthetic but perfectly OK. The bars are nice, you can actually kid yourself you're eating a Mars Bar with the choc and caramel one! I know people will say you're still 'feeding your sweet tooth' and 'it's not a sustainable diet in the long term' - we all know that, I just want to lose a few pounds in the next few weeks. I'll worry about the long term when I'm there! I've also got the Superdrug own brand bars at the moment (called Slender Plan). They taste good, calorie content is much the same and they're two boxes for £8, which is a good buy. It works very well at school - breakfast is quick and easy at home, and lunch equally easy at school - especially at the moment when no-one wants to have to go to the staffroom to heat things up or have to faff about, etc.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

WOW!!!!
    Please tell me this only took about a fortnight. ;)

I might give it a go, especially if I can find a porridge and a choc shake.
    Porridge at breaktime and sip a shake here and there through the afternoon, then a meal at home in the evening.
    Cut the alcohol to just weekends as well and it should be easy to lose a stone or three.