1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020: Dear Diary...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Mar 20, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

Friday, 20th March 2020

Dear Diary,

The air smells good. Fresh, car free and refreshing. The sky, clear - no aeroplane tracks, no human made noise, no take over of nature.

Curtains twitch hourly. Old faces smile behind them and wave, then disappear behind a muttered cough caught in a sleeve.

Life has slowed down. Yet, somehow we remain positive. And there is no ‘cup half full’ or ‘half empty’. I am just lucky to have that cup in the first place.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm feeling quite chipper

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I put myself in a better mood yesterday by taking the scooter out for a test run after its winter hibernation. It was a bit cold but fun. Daughter and herd of kids and dogs are coming so we can have a walk, all of them stir crazy already.

sabrinakat, Curae, Norsemaid and 2 others like this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I won't be visiting my mother (pushing 70) until all this is over. Especially not with kids.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've just realised I've not heard a plane go over for days...

Lidnod and install like this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Mr D is right royally miffed about that.

install likes this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Corona Diaries. Good idea, install!
    We can post our entries.

March 20th, 2020. PM

Still no boggy. Am feeling quite cheerful though!
    Dragging Mr D to the garden centre to look at a trellis with trough attached.
    I shall make him buy it.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I told my daughter last week she should start a Plague Diary. She's into it.

9. Ivartheboneless

Had a walk, not many about. I feel sorry for my daughter because she has three kids 16 months, 3 and 6. The middle one had to be off from mondya as he was coughing (no fever and got better quick) so the older one had to stay off. Now she is stuck with all three indefinitely. I understand all this stuff about not seeing grandparents, but we help each other a lot, so they can come here. We had a nice walk to ear out kids and dogs, you can't just leave them stuck in the house. We will be going to a forest tomorrow where the kids (and dogs) can run about and there will be hardly any people from previous experience. I can understand the reasons for isolation in urban sprawl, but I am semi rural.

agathamorse, Alice K, install and 2 others like this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

But you're probably not immune to the Corona virus. I hope you stay safe, whatever, it's not my place to say, I know.

install likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My mother's absolutely determined to come out of this unscathed. She's confined her husband to the spare room because he goes out (to walk the dog) and if he's not vigilant he'll probably end up bricked in. That's unless he poisons her first.

*Sorry - gallows humour. You have to know them and their history to appreciate it.

butties, Shedman, Nanny Ogg and 10 others like this.
  12. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Now that is hardcore - 16 months, 3 and 6 Ivarthe. I'm glad you are there to help out.
    Imagine if you weren't.
    There's 70 and 70. We must be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush. Some 70's may as well be 90 and others 50.
    Its important to 'stay in the grey' and understand that some people have it much harder than others.
    Imagine being a low income single parent in a high rise with 5 children under 10 for example.
    Oh, so easy to be smug.
    Also important to not get caught up in media hype and be realistic especially regarding children.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Heathrow arrivals show that (at a rough guess) just over half of flights cancelled. That's still a lot of incoming flights, though. I imagine the number will go down over the next couple of weeks.

install likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But I doubt the virus knows that!

My understanding is that, whatever your level of fitness and mindset, the older you get, the greater impact the virus has on your body (of course, those with certain pre-existing conditions are always more vulnerable, whatever their age).

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

So what do we do about supporting our grown up kids and their children. We've said nothing about helping with the little ones but it doesn't feel right. We never have them here a lot but they are only 5 miles away and could do it but should we?

install likes this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Today was a typical one in the life of a husband of a knitting crazed wife. Escape was by way of taking the car to pass its MOT. Meanwhile, as I waited for the event (which is akin to waiting for a baby to be delivered) I stopped in the crisp air of the town centre,
    The wind was cold, bitting and in my face. The town had stalls in which folks were buying vegetables but I found comfort and solace in a local cafe where the tea, which could be described as brown and almost milkless, was served. Its true tea can leave stains, as I watch those stains appear on the inside face of the cup as I slowly sipped and swallowed the tannin liquid.
    A quick perusal at the over large TV screen, declaring all the wreckage a lemonade drink labelled virus was creating in the world. Then watched the other customers solidly ignoring it as they tucked into their plates of food. I remember thinking that the sausage, egg and chips looked nice as the served it to a customer. Then, realising that such food is outside of my affordability, I watched them devour it. Chips skewered on forks were devoured in a wolfish way, half a sausage following in quick succession and the egg yolk, dripping off the chips which had been dipped into it , vanishing down the mouth of the hungry eaters. Not a smile on their face, but diligent effort to devour the food before it became cold grease on the plate.
    In the corner was an older lady, careworn and worried-looking, who huddled with her hands around her drink, looked as if the whole world was pressing down on her shoulders. Alone she sat, deep in her world and probably savouring the warmth of the cafe versus the biting wind outside. Thought of the song 'Have you seen the old man in the cafe ... sitting in his worn-out shoes'
    Was grateful at least I had a wife, however knitting mad, to nag me into not becoming such a figure in a cafe.
    Finally, I could not shelter in the cafe any longer as I become aware of the glances of the waitresses watching , for my tea had long been finished. So I paid and left. The wind bite hard as I left,I shivered and pulled my zipper of the coat up around my neck and wandered over to Poundland.
    A store in which I could normally find delights for my money was empty, not just of people but of stock. Shelves savaged by hordes of food strippers and leaving behind the debris of packaging and odd items which seems to have been missed by their voluminous grasp.
    Leaving the store I stood an watched the Veg stalls doing trading in their £1 bowls of food, one stall, where they were offering 2 bowls for £1.50, the crowds gathered. The server seeking to deal with the incessant demands lest a fight broke out as bowls were almost shoved in his face The stock quickly depleted itself as it was sold, as shoppers went off with their blue plastic bags of fruit and veg.
    Spectacle over I wander back to the MOT garage to find the car was almost ready and had passed its MOT. Joy indeed on a cold morning.
    Finally, and comfortably, one sits into, a car you have driven for 3 years, a place of isolation from the world, a place where the radio emitted soothing music in its desire to make you forget the events seen that morning. Soon you are off, driving, smiling, forgetting that, at that moment, the world outside your car doesn't exist!
    Back to my wife and her obsession with knitting.

Fer888888, Shedman, Curae and 7 others like this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Been out for a walk today, and I say "Afternoon" to everybody we meet walking the other way. Fewer are responding than normal. Mrs MSB commented that it's getting like when we used to live in Surrey. :)

Cheerful greetings don't spread lurgies.

18. Ivartheboneless

Kids won't understand at those ages (sorry I noticed the typos, oops) so I am determined not to deprive them of me. It makes little difference to me. BUT if they start rationing things (LIDL already are) to two items of one type, for the five members of my daughter's mob, they won't go far, for me two of something is reasonable, so I will supplement them. the other thing is, all the faff she has to go through to load three kids in and out of the car to go shopping, when I can help by getting stuff for her, or going with her, or staying with the herd. (They do me 'ead in, but they are mine! And family comes first!) I got stickified my them today, and chocolate all up the fridge, and my trousers, but the smile on my granddaughter's face when she sees her grandad could cure most things!

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My granddaughter (4) rang me today to find out when I was coming to pick her up:(. I heard her dad in the background saying "Do you remember that we talked about this earlier? Grandma can't come today in case we share the nasty germ."
    "Grandma can wash her hands!"
    "Maybe next week, if none of us catches it."
    "Tomorrow."
    "No. Next week."
    "IT'S FRIDAY I WANNA GO TO GRANDMA'S!"
    Good luck with that, son!

Shedman, Lidnod, agathamorse and 8 others like this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter