1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 What is your ost of living & pension increase this year?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by silenceapres3, Apr 26, 2019.

1. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

I am keen to find out what cost of living increases people have been awarded this year. My school has just awarded staff between 0.5 and 1%, way below inflation. They are increasing pension contributions to 23.68% from September 2019 as per the regulations but of course this won't mean extra money in our back pockets now or later so is unrelated to our salary increase. We are all furious!

2. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Perhaps you could tell us what type school you work at and is it in this country.

3. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

This is an independent school in the UK. I am interested to hear what all types of school settings received though.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think that state schools are getting the pension cost increase in their budgets, so it won't affect them this year. Independent schools are being faced with an increase in staff costs because of pensions contributions, so have to make ends meet somehow, with the options being increase fees, limit the increase in staff costs by keeping the pay rise down, cutting staff or cutting other expenses. It will be interesting to see what other private schools do.