1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm down 5lbs from the post NYE high. Very pleased with that. Homemade soup has really helped. We used to eat tinned soup most lunchtimes. Now the homemade version, with less salt an no sugar is so much better. Fixed menu dinner out tonight at a place that serves huge portions so I'll have to be careful. Then it's Burns supper tomorrow but I think the close fitting dress will be fine - which it wouldn't have been three weeks ago.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

@caterpillartobutterfly, that's an amazing weight loss in one week! Well done. And @lindenlea, your 5lb is brilliant too …enjoy the Burns supper tonight.
    I managed half a pound this week, but as I am just within my SW target range, that's OK. Wish I could actually get to target again, or better still - somewhere within the three pounds below it that's allowed - that would mean just under half a stone to go. But those last pounds are always the hardest. It definitely gets harder as you get older. People tell me that you have to accept that and adjust your expectations - what happens if you don't want to do that? I guess you just have to eat even less and walk more!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Recently the message seems to be that there are no hard and fast rules - you have to find what works for you but I don't think you have to adjust your expectations. Middle aged women do change shape though and that seems to be unavoidable.

lizgaskell likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yep, that annoys me too. I don't want to settle for being overweight just because I'm approaching 50. Why on earth would I? But it is harder for sure.

5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Also approaching fifty and it's definitely harder but my attitude is far better than when I was on my 20s. Then it was all about begin thin and now fit. I realise that getting older will be much easier if I am not varryong around all that extra weight and the health problems that come with it. When I eventually get to retire ( ?) I want to enjoy it.

Feel better than I have in years though

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A painful foot and a size 18 skirt did it for me :)

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The scales say no loss this week. I need to cut down a bit more ( but I have just eaten Sunday roast.)

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

2lbs thus week. But it was hard work!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

Awww nooo...but tomorrow is a new day and the start of a new week.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Out for dinner last night and lunch today, so not braving the scales - as you say, ctb, tomorrow is a new day and a new week!

11. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

6lb in 2 weeks. Starting week 3 today. Looking forward to going down a whole number.

Sundaytrekker and lizgaskell like this.
  12. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

After putting on 2lbs the week before last, I had a really good week; wrote it all down, counted my syns blah, blah. Just back from my weigh in and I’ve lost... wait for it... half a s0dding pound. Had to make huge effort not to stop at the supermarket on the way back to load up with wine, crisps and chocolate. Very fed up and what’s shameful is that I took it out on my poor husband. I’m in need of some motivation, please. Or a slap. Probably both :(:mad:;)

13. Toomuchtooyoung

Sorry Ezzie. It’s a long old process. Took me about 5 years to pile mine on, don’t know about you, so expect ups and downs and stick with it.

Ezzie likes this.
  14. Ezzie

Thanks @Toomuchtooyoung; I’ve always been too impatient I’m afraid so want instant results! As I paid in advance for 12 weeks I will keep going. 8lbs by Easter fingers crossed!

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Ohhh nooo. I hate weeks like that, so hard not to give up completely.
    But you resisted the supermarket, so very well done.
    Probably monthly nonsense or some such and next week you'll lose 5lbs.

16. Ezzie

I’m a bit old for the monthly nonsense, lol, but a 5lb loss next week would be fab! I’ve apologised to my long suffering hubby and will try hard to have another good week. Not giving up just yet!

17. Toomuchtooyoung

It’s taken me a long time to be in the right mental place to try and lose weight, I’m a terrible stress eater. Now I’m finally there, when I’m tempted by anything, (every day), I use my early years head and remind myself about delayed gratification in 3 year olds. I’m a grown woman, what’s more important, that chocolate biscuit now or size 12 later ? Usually works but occasionally I tell myself where to go and dig in.

caterpillartobutterfly and Ezzie like this.
  18. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

I think it's got to be a pretty natural thing to vary by as much as a few pounds every week . Gave up the weekly clubs a few years ago after yo yo dieting and it made me obsessed and I used to starve myself all day on Tuesdays - or whatever day it was- to get the pounds off for weigh in!

In the long term you will be losing weight and some weeks it will be six pounds and some + a pound but you are going in the right direction. That's the most important thing.

You can do this!

19. Ezzie

@lizgaskell thank you for that! I know what you mean by the weekly clubs; I must have spent thousands on one or the other (I’ve done them all!) over the years but I know if I don’t go and have that public weigh in every week I’ll just keep putting it off and that’s when the lbs creep back on. Very little will power. Someone is making a fortune out of mugs like me! I hope every else is having a good week.

lizgaskell likes this.
  20. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

I did the weekly weigh in all last year with the Man v Fat group. It worked as the peer pressure was a strong motivating factor. As this year I have set my running targets, I am now in control of my weight and will weigh in once a week and keep a record in the same way. So far I am losing really slowly this year - 400 grammes, 200 grammes etc, but at least all going in the right way.