1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Thanks Tartuffe!

So chuffed and did well today- son home on a flying visit so we have had a lovely tea but I can do this if I am Very careful during the day.

Good work Sunday trekker- 2lb a week is actually quite a lot over a relatively short period of time.

Ought to run but up to my neck in year 11 homework! Had the classic, ' miss, when are we getting our homework back?' Today. Hard to not be a bit sarcastic so I didn't tell them that since Thursday p5 - when they handed it in- I have had parents eve, teach all day Fridays, meeting after school, a day off Saturday and managed to do 75% of the other year eleven class I teach on Sunday.

Selfish old me been to the dentist after school today too!

Oh well, it'll be done soon.

3. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Thanks @Tartuffe! Only lost half a pound this week but I’m fine with that; it’s taken me longer than I’d planned to get back into being more sensible about food (and drink!) choices but I’m on the way again. Half a lb each week will get me to my next half stone award by Easter which is what’s motivating me.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. lizgaskell

Ha! Looks like I responded badly here... not reading posts properly

5. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

After work I did week 1 run 1 to build up to 5k (not much running) but now I am looking forward to running again on Wednesday.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What a horrible month in which to diet! On the other hand, a return to normal food without fridge-raiding and choc-guzzling is bound to be good...

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Diet started today and did very well all day, untill...I swapped a health bar thing for a piece of pannettone for pudding tonight!
    Not nutritious at all, but still under 1000 calories all day.

Ahh well try again tomorrow and once the hideous cold has gone will be back to some proper exercise for the first time since September.

8. lizgaskell

So second week back at school and I weigh the same as last week. All good though as I lost three pounds ... decided that o want to stay between 11.2 and 11.6 as this way I can at least stop giving away clothes that I love! I am at a healthy bmi now too and at 48 think that's got to be something to be pleased with.

So, hoping now to maintain this weight for good!

Now all I have to do is find someone who can alter a whole load of summer clothes for a decent price! They are all massive on me and I just don't want to start again !

How's everyone doing?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

Have done well with the dieting this week, but it's harder over the weekend...so lots more willpower needed today.

Weigh in on Tuesday to find the results, hopefully into the next stone down.
    I know that 4lbs is 4 lbs whatever you start from, but dipping under the next stone is very motivating. (Not saying I'll have lost 4lbs this week, but you never know!)

Hope the horrible cold will start to go over the next week and then I can get started on exercise as well. Snuffling one's way through a Pilates class isn't appealing and Body Pump out of the question when I can hardly breathe anyway!

Supermarket shop later to buy things like green veg, chicken breast, tofu, prawns, etc.
    So NOT nice chocolatey desserts and crispy bread... :(

Being thin again by Easter will be worth it! :confused:

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’ve eaten too much today so far but yesterday morning the scales said another pound down. So three pounds in three weeks is a quarter of the way to twelve pounds in twelve weeks, isn’t it? I’m happy so far.

11. Tartuffe

Lost 250 grammes this week despite running 21 miles. Didn't eat as well as I might. Back on it this week.

lindenlea likes this.
  12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Was doing well until my daughter had a birthday and we had pizza and cake. It doesn't take much!
    At least I didn't gain either.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Seven pounds off! SEVEN!

Could hardly believe it, but am thrilled.
    OK it's the first week only, so lots of water and so on, but it definitely makes it worthwhile.

And the cold is heading towards being over, so exercise next week me thinks.

Happy, happy me!
    :):):)

(Apologies, if your week has been less successful...mine will be worse another week.)

14. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

That’s brilliant @caterpillartobutterfly , well done to you! I am very jealous as I’ve put on 2lbs - aargh! Feeling gutted. Ok, I know I’ve been finding it hard to get back into it after crimbo but that 2lbs feels like 20! I’m trying harder this week as I really don’t want to get lardy again but it’s soooooo hard! Staying off the wine this week. Dry January lasted all of 10 days. Pathetic... Anyway, onwards! Congrats again.

15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Seven in a week ctb? That’s amazing. Very well done.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

The 800 calories a day is working very well!

17. lizgaskell

Seven pounds! That's ace... and massively motivating too. Well done. 800 Cals not a lot but whatever works eh.

18. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I’m doing that too. Not as successfully as you, but 4lb in the first week and I’m pretty happy. I’m doing it with one meal a day, my tea. Took me a week to get used to it and I don’t really get hungry now. 10 days in now, need to pick up the exercise.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

I have 200 calories at either lunchtime or afternoon break.
    Then a healthy 200 calorie protein/fruit/seed/ weird stuff bar on the way home in the car.
    Then 200 ish calorie main course.
    Then 200 ish calorie chocolate based pudding.

I need to sort out exercise now my cold is definitely better. Going to start that from Monday.

4lb is great...a stone in a month is a fab amount.

20. Tartuffe

Well done, @caterpillartobutterfly . I was on 1200 last year for a large part of my weight loss but would really have struggled with only 800. I am now on 1600 but am running 5 days a week so need to probably increase my calories as I up the mileage.

Weigh in tomorrow morning for this week.