1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Last supper tonight! Nice Thai meal and a few beers but have walked 20000 steps today.

All out on Monday as I'm back at school .

Determined not to allow my job to stop me exercising and being well.

I suppose that is my New Years resolution

lrw22 and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Ok, so I’ve been brave and stood on the scales. About three pounds more than last January so I suppose it could be worse. I need to lose about a stone. This time it’s important because I don’t want to go back up a clothes size. Christmas food nearly all gone so that should help. A holiday booked for early summer so that’s the goal.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've got a Burns supper to go to and its black tie so that means I wear my tight dress. I struggle to get the pounds off in Jan. It's weird, even though I try all my usual tricks, the pounds hang around. Unlike in December when it drops off easily if I make an effort. So Jan 26th is a target for me. Two pounds down would do it, three would be great.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Due to INSET days and various other bits, my diet is starting next Monday, or at least the appointment where I'll be weighed and measured and find out how very bad it is, is next Monday.

So this week to continue to be a slob and eat all the left over chocolate and so on???? Or to make a start to ease myself in gradually????
    Hmmmm

5. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Managed a 14 km run on Saturday morning and felt really comfortable. Put on 2.75 kilos over Christmas fortnight, so need to work that off as soon as possible, then its really focusing on running and maintaining weight

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I've been poorly since Christmas so I ve managed to lose the 4lb put on over Christmas. But I wouldn't recommend being poorly to lose weight.

7. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Just been for my weekly weigh in at SW and I’m delighted to report that I’ve lost 3 of the 4lbs I put on over Christmas. I want to lose 8lbs by Easter; sounds doable but it’s been slow going!

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

OH has been merrily tucking into some remaining Christmas biscuits tonight. I have resisted and had a couple of satsumas instead. I've told him to save me a biscuit for the weekend though!!

9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

That's brilliant Ezzie, well done! I appear to be going in the opposite direction!

10. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Although today I have eaten half of a whole red velvet cake. Oops.

11. Tartuffe

Had the last slice of Xmas cake last night, so final temptation removed. Still 'dry' so far, so have not pushed too hard on the eating plan, but will now look to improve on this as well as upping the running. Watched the second half of 6 months to Save your life on ITV last night, felt very smug that I lost more than the 3 of them put together in roughly the same time span.

We can do this!

12. Tartuffe

Saturday morning weigh-in and 1.5 kilos lost this week. Managed a fast (for me) 10 km this morning.

friedgreentomatoes and lindenlea like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So we're all back on the wagon now! I nipped into M&S on Thursday night - I do try not to eat ready meals often, but needs must sometimes. Was tempted by a couple of their new 'Plant Based' ones - mainly because they were both reduced to £1.10 each. Both very good, one was just under 400 calories and the other just over, so not bad at all.

15. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

I have found it really hard (but been trying) to cut down on treats. Today I have been looking at running (0-5k) and decided on a route that I can try. Reading the above posts people have been doing well, and have encouraged me to do better.

16. grumbleweed

I lost the 4lb I put on over christmas, then gained two after having visitors, pizza and Chinese take away, then lost one. So in all lost 3 of the 4 gained over christmas.
    It's a slow journey.

17. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

So, one week back at school and I've lost 3 pounds!

I have not weighed 11. 3 for about 18 years!

Very pleased. I think what might have helped is I have upped my intake of fibre. Much fuller for longer and there are other obvious consequences!

Found some lovely chocolate flaboured oatcakes in Lidl that have been great. Won't let me upload a picture for some reason but the brand is Nairns.

18. grumbleweed

Love Nairn's oatcakes. They do a really nice ginger oat biscuit too, not that I'm recommending anyone reaches for the biscuits, just they are nice when you fancy a treat

19. Tartuffe

Fantastic, keep this up.

lizgaskell likes this.
  20. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The scales say two pounds down so that’s a start and a bit of motivation to keep going. I believe in slow and steady.