1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I was supposed to be seriously starting Weight Watchers again today but still have a big heap of Christmas chocolate. Opened a box to have a couple with a cup of tea after my lunch and lo and behold the whole box is gone now. Wondering about starting again when new term starts now.

2. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Do we continue with this thread or start a 2020 one? Should it be about dieting or general fitness? I have put back on some of what I lost for various reasons and need to start 2020 in a positive frame of mind. I am on dry January and have a Marathon booked for 17th May. I now need to really focus!

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Yeah, I need to refocus too. Big night out last night ( far too much to eat and drink ) so that is making me think about my alcohol consumption as well as the food.
    What haven’t I done?
    I planned to get running again over the hols And didn’t so that has to be a priority. Also no gym

I need to find a decent distance ) for me that’s a half marathon ) to train for and aim for to motivate me like you Tartuffe

what have I done
    Bought lots of health snacks and lunch stuff for first week like soups, tins of sardines etc so I never have to buy school food.

I’ll set myself a goal weight for half term I think .

Not sure whether we need a new thread or not but happy to go with the flow. Sometimes a new start helps?

4. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I think a new one was started last year.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely need a new thread.
    Given I seem to have gone up two dress sizes in three months, it is NOT a positive end to the year.
    What on earth??!?!?!

All healthy stuff starting from Monday.
    Gym near work joined and online induction completed: Tick
    New gym clothes that actually fit purchased: Tick
    Healthy food to take to work purchased or planned: Tick
    Alternatives to alcohol purchased: Tick

Now just need to remember to actually go to said gym and only eat the healthy food!

Sundaytrekker and lizgaskell like this.
  6. lizgaskell

Just been thinking about doing Dry January
    Massive hangover today helps

I think it will be really hard for me and not sure Mr G will be up for it though and that will make it harder.

thinking I might just not vocalise it - if I don’t say it out loud- and offer to drive places, claim dodgy tummy or ‘cutting down’ he might not even realise for a bit!

That’s bad isn’t it!?

Prob really help weight loss I imagine

7. lizgaskell

Ok

just got an app called Drink Free Days. Decided that committing to none at all is too much but committing to so many days a week is more doable and it’s a start.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D
    Sorry, Mr G sounds like my OH!
    I told him earlier that teetotal veganuary was starting on Monday when I go back to work.
    His answer was "Good luck with that...Are there meaty ready meals in the freezer and do we have a stock of wine to last me the month?"!

Besides which I like wine. And whisky. And gin. And chocolate baileys type things.
    I do (usually) dilute all of them apart from whisky.
    So a cordial amount of choc liqueur and fill the glass with milk.
    Similarly wine and soda water, and gin and tonic.

And we have the leftiovers of two hams and two turkeys in the freezer to use.
    And a heap of fish that was massively reduced.

Think I might just need to give up carbs (other than bread I don't really like them anyway) and do heaps of exercise.

lizgaskell likes this.
  9. lizgaskell

Hey caterpillar
    red wine is my downfall but have loads of alternatives and never touch them.

was given copious amounts of wonderful gins, malibu and even have an Aldi version of Baileys but have barely had any.

might swap to g and t and Malibu and Diet Pepsi- the latter should tick a box for something sweet too.

Mr G does all the cooking- fab cook and the food isn’t always low fat/low cal but always cooked from scratch and will lots of veg but we both like meat with most meals.

He lost four stone this last year or so and is looking so much better - and has kept it off. I am also almost three stone lighter now.

The drinking is going to harder than the eating I think!

10. caterpillartobutterfly

I have a gingerbread one and a salted caramel one...both utterly delicious!

An though I want to lose weight and get back to what clothing size I like to be, I want to be fit and look like I'm reasonably fit as well. Not body builder type, but tighter and a little definition if that makes sense.

Also want to come off antidepressants and apparently exercise helps a lot with that.

I'm hoping that a large increase in good exercise will do as much for weight loss as any kind of dieting.

lizgaskell likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

I don't mind starting a 2020 thread.

Choices of thread title are:
    1. 2020 is the year to diet (exactly following on from this one)
    2. 2020 is the year to get healthier
    3. 2020 is the year to get fitter
    4. 2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier

Or something else that you can think of and I can't!

lrw22 and lizgaskell like this.
  12. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

======================================================================

I will wait for the new thread to start rather than jumping back to 2019

But I don't say I'm on a diet I'm just following a healthy eating plan (nearly 4 stone loss).

13. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

4. 2020 is the year to get fitter and healthier - it's not just about dieting.

lrw22 and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Caterpillar, I will wait for the new thread …. I'm not doing too badly, have got back on the healthy eating wagon - but a new thread will inspire all of us to keep going. I like the fitter and healthier title too.

The ham all got eaten here, but leftover turkey is frozen - I'm veggie and OH had had more than enough of it once all the visitors had departed! I've frozen it in casserole-sized batches and will use it gradually over the next few months.