1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

What you say is so right, liz - I'd be up there with an A* in complacency! But we can only keep trying. OH always says he doesn't know why I worry so much; what he doesn't appreciate is that I'm quite sure I'd be up two stone in 6 months if I ate what I'd really like to! And, apart from the general aches and pains we all get in our 60s, I'm pretty healthy. I think that's greatly helped by making sure I eat a fairly healthy diet most of the time.
    Tartuffe, we'll be watching out for you in a marathon before long - you're doing so well!
    Enjoy the rest of the week all, I'm away tomorrow for a 4 day city break. Lots of lovely food, but hopefully not too much damage as plan to do lots of walking.

lizgaskell likes this.
  2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Lost three pounds already sunshine!

Got my mojo back ...

Have a super break.

3. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Well done @lizgaskell. I managed a 7 mile recovery run today after Sunday's run. 7 weeks to go until the big one!

lindenlea likes this.
  4. lizgaskell

Full of admiration Tartuffe. You have shown such determination

lindenlea likes this.
  5. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Good morning!
    Very happy to have found this thread - you have all inspired me to stop bemoaning the bloatedness of my tummy and do something about it!
    I'm thinking of getting The Fast 800 books to kickstart a more healthy eating regime.

6. sunshineneeded

Welcome, gargs!
    Wonderful break in Amsterdam - never visited this enchanting city before, can highly recommend. Couldn't possibly have resisted the pancakes and waffles … but we probably walked more than 10 miles every day, so hopefully that will offset the damage slightly.
    Haven't weighed myself yet, but going to have a concerted effort this week before back to school.
    Hope everyone's enjoying this amazing weather!

lizgaskell likes this.
  7. lizgaskell

Ooh sunshine- I once went to Amsterdam at February half term and it was so cold! Lovely place though. Only did three days but could have done with more.
    Holidays are for indulgence so all good especially when combined with all that walking...

We’ve done a very hilly six miles today on 29 degrees!

Have been out three nights this week though and can tell but to be fair I will use this last week before we are back at school to sort myself out and prepare to be more disciplined.

Welcome gargs...

Your plan sounds like a good one.

I have also signed up to a challenge on Strava starting next Monday too!

New me, new year.

I will not let the ... get me down.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  8. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

3 pounds off this week. 15 mile run on Sunday in 2 hrs 45 - it was very hot. Eating is back to the planned meals and MyFitnessPal for the calorie count. 6 weeks to Marathon and I will finish!!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You will finish! @Tartuffe - you know you're an inspiration.
    We're having a small building project start next week and the underlying stress is burning calories for me I think. The Edinburgh pounds seem to have gone, thank goodness. I have to say, after many years of cutting down on fat and sugar my tastes have really changed and my capacity for eating large meals has also changed with age I suppose. Went out last weekend and couldn't finish my tagine - that would have been unheard of in my youth. I also prefer water to sweet soft drinks.
    Keep at it everyone - it's a way of life, not a diet, so eat lovely food but just not too much and not all "treats."

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  10. lizgaskell

Good advice Linden Lea.

To be honest,I find this dieting lark much easier at school! Going back the same weight I left is an achievement.

(Still not really looking forward to going back though.)

sunshineneeded and lindenlea like this.
  11. lizgaskell

Good advice Linden Lea.

To be honest,I find this dieting lark much easier at school! Going back the same weight I left is an achievement.

(Still not really looking forward to going back though.)

sunshineneeded and lindenlea like this.
  12. sunshineneeded

Somehow, with the aid of SlimFast meal replacement bars and milkshakes, I've just edged back into the very top of my SW target range. Going back to 'normal' eating now, but aiming to keep as careful an eye on it as possible. I agree, liz, I find it easier at school - so only a few more days to go.
    Keep going, Tartuffe, I know you will do it!

lizgaskell likes this.
  13. lizgaskell

Back at school today and it wasn’t as bad as I feared!

Had a decent day food wise too and grown up son wants me to go for a run with him tonight; I shall oblige but expect to be slow