1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I’ve had visitors on and off for the past month so I’ve not been for my SW weigh-ins and I’ve been back to my old eating habits (anything and everything) and likewise with alcohol; I’ve drunk WAY too much. So, weigh in on Monday next week, not going to be good but I’ll just have to suck it up, metaphorically and literally. I’m actually quite worried about my drinking; any tips, please, on how to cut back, preferably give up altogether. I do love a red wine or/and G & T but one becomes 2 and so on. Determined to get to my SW goal this time; I’ve never achieved that before but it’s another stone plus whatever I’ve gained over the past weeks (and I’d be happy if that was less than 7lbs). Very ashamed of myself :mad::(

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Oh Ezzie, I expect it won’t be quite as bad as you think but at least you know where you have been going wrong.

Blooming hard in the hols to stay in the straight and narrow though! Eating out, as you say visitors and being able to drink on a week night are all diet hazards and we will all be doing some (or all) of these!

To be fair, at work I rarely have what anyone would describe as lunch (lunch is just 30 mins and i reckon it boils down to around 12 mins in reality) so even a modest lunch adds 300-500 calories to the day for me!

Also, a foot injury has slowed me down and I can’t burn it off easily so we might be I the same boat!

Not sure i am the right one to ask about the booze

Start the diet again tomorrow?

Don’t give up

3. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Thanks for your support @lizgaskell. I do indeed know where I’ve gone wrong and equally know what I have to do to put it right. The last of my visitors leaves tomorrow and, living in Scotland, I’m back at work the week after next so no excuses now to over indulge. Big push to lose a stone by the end of the year. Thanks again and I hope your foot recovers soon.

lindenlea and lizgaskell like this.
  4. lizgaskell

Incidentally, just weighed myself and I am four pounds heavier despite all the walking and running!

Let’s crack on ...

Ezzie likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Hi all. Hope all is well, particularly with those who have had surgery. Husbands new knee has meant he lost weight - he's naturally skinny anyway and the inactivity led to loss of muscle. Two months in he's trying to build up again. He'll be back to golf next month so that'll be good for him.
    I'm fairly happy with my weight. I did get down to the lowest for a good while but all the husband's 70th birthday celebrations have put a bit back on. Have a new dress for taking family out for lunch on Saturday so can't afford to be careless over the next two days.

Ezzie and lizgaskell like this.
  6. lizgaskell

A new dress is great motivation Lindenlea!

lindenlea likes this.
  7. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

My husband is a bit worried about his drinking. He’s going to start off with having two alcohol free days per week. X

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi all, hope everyone is ok. I couldn't agree more with everyone - it's so hard to stay on the straight and narrow. For me, it will never become the 'way of life' all the companies (SW, WW, etc) talk about - I will always feel that I am on a diet and somehow denying myself lovely things! But I have a size in my mind that I'd like to be, so I keep yo-yoing.
    Just back from a fortnight in the sun - cocktails, sangria and masses of delicious food. I admit, I tried to keep things in check on day 1 then just decided to enjoy it. Damage is definitely not as bad as I deserve - 4lbs on. An advert just popped up on my computer for the Slimfast 7-day meal replacement plan, £10 down from £15 in Superdrug. While I'm not a fan of those milkshake-and-chewy-bar diets, I'm thinking of picking one up today to see if I can shed the 4lbs before my SW weigh-in next Wednesday.

Ezzie likes this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm suffering from not eating well either due to a long stream if visitors. The grandkids just don't eat vegetables so it's always multi meals to get what they'll eat and then sort mine out. Plus meals out, the cream tea etc. I'm pretty sure it will settle once I'm back to work and still improving my stamina. It is hard though.

sunshineneeded and Ezzie like this.
  10. lizgaskell

I go on holiday for five days tomorrow officially 5lbs heavier than I was when we broke up!

Gutted

I deserve it but now face a diet disaster!

Is that ‘time of the month’ but that’s not responsible for all of it! Stomach is fat too and haven’t worried about that for ages.

Grrh

11. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Re-read the 2018 thread and it seemed easier to lose weight then. I know that I am considerably lighter and much, much fitter than last year. I am just heavier than the same time last year. I am running 4 times a week as I train for the Marathon in October and even managed to run a half-marathon before breakfast two Sundays ago. Maybe trying to lose weight while ever increasing the running is just not possible - I know my legs look totally different from what they were - much more muscle and definition. Just need to remove the belly!!

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  12. lizgaskell

You speak the truth here Tartuffe.

I Fly home today and have made sure u haven’t missed out on hols - have enjoyed food and drink as much as everyone else but have walked everywhere.

Back to it tomorrow ... if I can lose three of these ‘temporary pounds’ next week I’ll be on the right track.

Back to school the same as I left please!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  13. lizgaskell

Home.

Decided not to weigh myself until Monday ( so I can try and lose some beforehand and not be overwhelmed!)

Still two weeks of hols before school so time to get it sorted

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Tartuffe, you're doing amazingly - you must be so much healthier and fitter, and muscle is supposed to be heavier than fat. You'll get there.
    @lizgaskell, I know exactly how you feel! I did buy the Slimfast 7-day plan at Superdrug (you need a few more meal replacement bars as well as what's in the box). I've been replacing 2 meals a day, having 3 snacks and having one 700 calorie real meal. Definitely not something I'd want to do for long, but it's worked. I'm now only half a pound heavier than before I went on holiday. Planning to keep on with it for the rest of the school holidays … apart from the 4 days next week when I'm going away again to undo all the good work!

lizgaskell likes this.
  15. lizgaskell

Hey sunshine.

Although I said I was leaving it to Monday have just weighed myself. Yup, 11.10. Have been between 11.3 and 5 since about Xmas so it’s a blow.

Slim fast - That’s great and a really good short term solution. I do this somethings too, well one replacement a day maybe twice a week and had one shake for lunch yesterday to kick start me.

Also bought lemon green tea. Don’t usually touch it but nice with a lemon slice and thinking this will raise my fluid intake and help to fill me up! Having one now.

The annoying thing is I have done this in less than a week and didn’t put anything on all summer last year! Think I have been too complacent. ‘Oh a pudding? Why not I’m on holiday?!’ And that sort of nonsense.

Have a super time next week!

Planned a ten mile run with a friend Monday which will be tough but necessary

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Back from five days in Edinburgh. Didn't eat that much but drank a fair amount and finished off with a Chinese take away last night. Will weigh tonight. Friends went to a talk on healthy eating and the basic message was moderation in all things except sugar and cut down on processed food. Don't fry with olive oil either - use veg oil of some sort or butter. So, nothing new there really.

17. lizgaskell

Yeah, bought this for my kindle but it too has just the usual ‘ eat less, but healthy, and expertise more.’

This I know (but have ignored) so I wizzed through but likes the simple ‘ I can’t have that because I must lose a stone...’ message.

Five mile cliff walk, eaten well (so far) and drinking water and green tea by the gallon!

18. lizgaskell

8D8216B4-079F-45D7-BC40-4BE7E28E6EB6.jpeg

19. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Another 13 mile run yesterday. Had a protein shake straight after and really not feeling it this morning. I have managed to run these training half-marathons at around 10 minute slower than the events - quite pleased that I have been able to stay motivated for just over 2 hours on a 4 lap of the village run.

lizgaskell likes this.
  20. lizgaskell

Well done Tartuffe