1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

True caterpillar...

Day to myself today so a nice long walk along the coast I think (good physically and mentally) and maybe get myself sone new clothes... payday tomorrow!

2. lizgaskell

... 11 miles. My legs ache now. Fitbit says that’s 1800 calories so going to enjoy some peanut butter and put my feet up .

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Hells teeth! 11 miles! I can just about manage 1!

4. lizgaskell

had to cancel weights class tonight though!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We went to a NT property with enormous grounds (Croome).
    As the house was a bit of a disappointment, we felt obliged to do heaps of walking to make up for it.
    So about 8 miles all told for us...not as much as you and definitely 'wandering about' as opposed to 'aerobic exercise' but better than nowt.

lizgaskell and sunshineneeded like this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

11 miles! That's fantastic, you deserve the peanut butter and half a French stick to go with it! And 8 miles is great too, caterpillar.
    As I don't seem to have done much in the way of housework since before SATS, I've had a day of chores today. Hope that's burnt off a few hundred calories - I still haven't weighed myself since the short break at the beginning of the week. Better gear up to it over the weekend as I need to weigh in at SW next Wednesday.

7. lizgaskell

Intend to spend most of tomorrow in the back garden ... looks like
    a lovely meadow but needs the hedges cutting and a massive clear out. Keeping the grass out their longish as we love the daisies and buttercups .

This is exercise too and will give me a guilt free meal out

Ooh a french stick with a while chunk of Brie would be dreamy ...

Almost with you sunshine- last gcse for English on 7th June and I can start to claw back some life!

Looking forward to getting use out of my NT card too caterpillar

I can see the light!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Well I failed to make the 1.5 stones before hip replacement. Just managed 17 lbs.
    Hey ho, I'll put on weight after the op with the swelling and lack of mobility so it will reset and start again.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

17lbs is 1 1/4 stone, so almost there.
    Best of luck with the op, hope all goes well.

I lost 3lb from Sunday to Tuesday, but apparently put on 0.9lb on Wednesday, probably should have had that warm, freshly baked, white choc cookie at my course then. :rolleyes:
    We'll see tomorrow what's happened today.

lizgaskell likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

4lb in the week...that'll do.
    Just have to not put it all back on over the weekend!

11. lizgaskell

Well done caterpillar! That’s mint x

12. lizgaskell

How we all doing?

13. grumbleweed

I put on half a stone after my hip replacement but given my legs are swollen, I think is largely fluid and not moving about much.
    Hopefully it will start to come off again soon.

14. lizgaskell

Hey grumbleweed

Sounds like you have had a rough time.

Half a stone doesn’t seem quite as bad as it could be if you have not been very mobile.

Sub was out here today; it did give me a bit of a boost!

But then had fish and chips sitting in the beach for my tea!

Oops

15. lizgaskell

Hey

Two weeks to go before we break up. No more weight loss but happily have stayed the same for almost a year.

Still would love to lose another 5/6 pounds though! Perhaps I always will

16. sunshineneeded

Hope you're feeling better now, grumbleweed, and managing to get about a bit. The weight loss will come, your recovery must be highest priority now.
    I think you're right, @lizgaskell - I'm only a pound heavier than I was a year ago, but would love to be half a stone lighter ... I'll keep trying (ish) but not sure if it will ever happen. Must shed a bit before I go on holiday though - just so that I don't worry quite so much about all the ice-cream, cocktails and delicious Mediterranean food swimming in olive oil!

lizgaskell likes this.
  17. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Well, have had a bit of a break from this forum as I have put on a little bit due to inactivity after the surgery. I am now fully back into weight loss and fitness mode and am working my way back to last summers weight. I am now running about 25+ miles a week; 3 x 5 miles during the week and a long run at the weekend. Seem to be burning a lot of calories and have lost about 5 pounds in the last two weeks.

lindenlea and lizgaskell like this.
  18. grumbleweed

I've managed to lose 3lb of what I put on. I'm managing to walk a bit every day without too much pain which is amazing. But having walked with a limp for three years I've got to learn to walk again and slowly build the muscles that are weak.
    I find it harder not easier to lose weight when it's hot as I tend to pick a bit more. Anyone else?
    ( I'm sure the cream tea I reward myself with after a walk has no bearing on the matter!)

lindenlea and lizgaskell like this.
  19. lizgaskell

Hey everyone

Sounds like you have both had a rough time but are back in it

We broke up Friday and I have vowed to get back to running after a really tough term. So far I have done some housework, had a couple of great nights out and had two days looking after other people’s children - they are related to be fair- and now working myself up for gym class tonight.

The weather is mint.

No weight loss (or gain) so cant complain but still about 5/6 lbs from where I want to be .

25 miles a week is about right for me too! Will let you know if I manage it

20. sunshineneeded

Tartuffe and grumbleweed, glad you're both on the mend. I weighed in at SW this week and am exactly at the very top of my target range … I know that's not too bad, but it's not where I wanted to be now, as off to the Med for a fortnight's all-inclusive break this weekend. I am determined to at least try and stay vaguely on track …. we'll see! Hopefully no more than an extra 4 or 5 pounds …..