1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2019 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I thought I’d get the ball rolling for this year! I hope to lose just under 2 stones in 2019. Looking forward to reading about everyone’s progress; it was a really positive incentive to keeping me going with my weight loss in 2018. Good luck!

2. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Hi. Good luck with your goal for 2019. I need to loose some weight (at times this year I tried to exercise more but then gave up). From 1st January I will cut down on treats and try to be more active! I hope that reading about others progress will also encourage me.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

HI @Ezzie, well done for starting the new thread. Joining it makes me feel positive and not on my own in this! I'm not doing too badly but would like to lose the last half a stone this year … and, as we all know, the last bit is always the hardest! Happy new year and good luck to all fellow weight watchers x

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm at the maintenance stage. Never got right down to target weight last year - the best was a pound up but that's ok. I first lost weight 20 years ago and eat far more now than I did then but still stay the same dress size. I just need to be careful, cook from scratch as much as possible, watch the carbs and take plenty of exercise. Four pounds up atm so next week it'll be a lot of meat/fish and green veg and I'd better start making batches of soup again.

5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Great to have a new thread Ezzie.

I meant to get my running back on track but soooo full of cold I have been in for two days. Got party tonight so going to try and be sociable- might feel better by then but wil be focused as of New Year's Day - good luck everyone !

6. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Just added to the 2018 thread and ready to start 2019 in a positive mood. Maintenance and fitness this year and a Marathon in October to build towards. Happy New Year everyone!

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I failed miserably in the 2018 stakes, losing just 10lb over the whole year. I'm going for a new hip so need to lose more. It's so difficult when you can't exercise very well due to the pain.
    But I'll give it a go
    She says having put on 4lb over Christmas.....

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

10lbs down is better than 10lbs up. Keep going ☺

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh yes Happy New Year ! May all your puddings be little ones :)

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! You have come a really long way...I'm really impressed you are looking at a Marathon just a year after starting out with losing weight and running. Incredible. Well done.

I need to eat less and exercise more...hmmm hopefully starting next Monday when we go back to work. It's still the holidays all this week, so no chance of starting a diet or new exercise routine.

Goal is to lose 2 dress sizes and be much fitter.

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Just love this! It needs to be my mantra for 2019.

12. Tartuffe

Starting off with Dry January which will take out a lot of wine calories from my consumption.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh Gawd ! NYE has proved to be a bit disastrous according to my scales. Its all fluids isn't it. Isn't it?

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  14. Tartuffe

Or fluctuation in the earth's gravitational field causing scales to temporarily register a weight which is several pounds above what we experienced before the Winter Solstice!!

friedgreentomatoes and lindenlea like this.
  15. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

@lindenlea, I’m the same! Despite going for my SW weigh in and having put on 4lbs, I’m really struggling to get back on track. NYD saw me filling my face with whatever was left over; cake, mince pies, cheeses, tub of Heroes and 2 almost full bottles of wine. Woke up today feeling fat and bloated so gave myself a severe talking to and so far so good (though it’s only 11.30!) Hoping it will be easier next when I’m back at work and things are back to normal. Fingers crossed. Good luck!

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Marvellous!:D

17. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I managed to maintain my target weight last year, but it all went a bit to pot a few weeks before Christmas. I went back to SW weigh-in last week and I have managed to put on six pounds. I know it shouldn't actually take that long to get rid of that again, but like Ezzie I am struggling a bit to get back on track. It didn't help that everyone at work today seemed to have brought in their unwanted chocolate/mince pies!

Ezzie likes this.
  18. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

I reckon this thread is just what we all need to get back on track.

I went in today to get down stuff done and there were still two boxes of chocs on the staff room table.

Before I left I had three.

They were actually talking to me!

I have told no one else.

Walked seven miles this afternoon- almost 2000 calories- as a penance

Just realised I shoul have moved or hidden them!

friedgreentomatoes and lrw22 like this.
  19. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I haven’t stood on my scales yet. At the moment I am just trying to get towards only eating at the three meals in a day. That’s enough of a challenge for the first week. :)

friedgreentomatoes and lrw22 like this.
  20. Tartuffe

You can tell it is January as last night TVs schedule had two weight loss programmes! a six months to save your self programme followed by a Food Unwrapped diet special!! Nothing new - but saw the presenter who gave up alcohol for a month lost 2 kilos (although he fell off the wagon a bit!)