1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2018 Pay Award

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nelwd, Sep 27, 2019.

1. nelwd

nelwd New commenter

Good morning all,

I live and work in the Isle of Man, which is in many ways separate from the UK, but traditionally our pay has always been linked to English schools.

I am currently part of an ongoing dispute with regard to the interpretation of the 2018 Pay Award. I have been told by one of my colleagues that some LEA's in England applied the 3.5% increase to Heads, where as as far as I was aware all LEA's had to stick to SPCD recommendations and only award 1.5% for Heads. I am aware that non LEA schools set their own pay policy and are free to do what they wish.

Does anybody know of any LEA's that applied a higher than 1.5% pay award in 2018 to Heads?

Many thanks

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I know of no specifics, but STPCD only specifies minima and maxima for each pay scale. Therefore, an LEA would be allowed to give any rise they liked to Heads, provided that they did not pay above the maximum for the relevant band.

Similarly, there is no obligation to schools to give a rise to anybody provided that their pay is no less than the relevant minimum.

I am not saying that either of these things is right; just that this is what the rules say. And, pay policies may go beyond them.