1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2018 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I am managing to finish the year at exactly the same weight as I started it. Had planned to lose at least a stone. Never mind could be worse at least I haven't gained.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Too much wine this week as the end of term seems to be crawling towards us. The scales on Saturday won;t be as good as I would like, but not going to worry too much until the New Year now. We ought to log on on 31st december and post a final weight for 2018 before kicking off a new thread for 2019.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ooh, that's tough love @Tartuffe but you are right. I'll be a pound or so up I think but I'm still size 12 so no disasters.
    As for Christmas - just don't go mad. People have worked hard this year so why throw it away just eating for the sake of it. it's your choice - why on earth would you choose to overeat and put on half a stone when you've been sensible for so long - yes and that's you I'm talking to lindenlea.

Lara mfl 05 and lizgaskell like this.
  4. Tartuffe

I am really looking forward to Xmas Day - will have a proper feast, but afterwards will be more restrained. I want to get to 1000 km run this year so will need to fit in 42 km between now and New Year

5. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I’m two and a half stone lighter than I was when I started this thread and I’m chuffed to bits; I can walk further with the dog and I feel good in my clothes! I probably have another 14-20lbs to lose but I’m going to do that slowly so it’s easier to maintain. Hopefully by the end of 2019 I’ll be there! Happy Christmas everyone! x

6. Tartuffe

Congratulations, @Ezzie. Enjoy Christmas and see you on the 2019 thread!!

lizgaskell, Ezzie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Tartuffe

Just skim read through this thread from the beginning and feel quite inspired by the individual stories.

8. Ezzie

Than you @Tartuffe. I have seriously over eaten/drunk far too much these past couple of days but will be back on the diet from tomorrow with maybe a slight ‘slip’ on the 31st! Not looking forward to my weigh in next week but it will a fresh start with the intention of losing my final stone and a bit next year. I will definitely be joining whoever starts the 2019 thread!

sunshineneeded and lizgaskell like this.
  9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I started 2018 with good intentions but didn’t achieve the weight loss. I’ve probably put on a few pounds. I need to do better in 2019. It’s not a huge amount, about a stone would nearly do. I’m inspired by some successes on here so will definitely be reading and attempting to join in.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was doing well until September and then it all went a bit wrong.
    So I finish the year a little heavier than when I started and a whole lot less fit, which is the part that annoys me the most.

Definitely going to lose some weight and get back to exercising...sod work, I'm leaving early enough to get to exercise classes! (That's my new year resolution anyway.)

sunshineneeded, lizgaskell and lrw22 like this.
  11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I hosted Christmas Day, so didn't do too badly then - somehow you never really feel hungry when you've cooked it all, do you? Boxing Day at my sister's was another matter entirely!!! Then a day at the sales and a delicious lunch out yesterday. Definitely slipped off the wagon all round this week. Nervously checked the scales this morning and the damage is not too bad … I'm ending the year just about where I started it, which doesn't depress me too much as I was close to a stone heavier in the middle!
    New Year's resolution has to be to lose another half a stone and work on getting fitter!
    Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year x

lrw22 and lizgaskell like this.
  12. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hey alll

Seems like we are all going into the new year with a positive attitude.

I managed a seven mile run - first run in several weeks- a couple of days again and meant to do ten today but have managed to get a rotten cold so in pjs having a tidy round, or 'potter' instead with the radio on.

Weighed in yesterday and have stayed about same so happy with that and ready for about a half a stone off in 2019.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  13. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Oh, and who is going to start the 2019 thread?

14. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I got weighed yesterday and I have only put on half a pound over Christmas. Out for afternoon tea for a friend's birthday later today and we are going out drinking afterwards and also have new year to contend with so I'll have to see how things are looking next week.

Is there any way to edit the name of this thread to keep it going rather than starting again?

sunshineneeded likes this.
  15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Perhaps starting again is the right way forward … new year, new resolutions … hopefully, new streamlined super-fit body! Well, I can dream ….

lizgaskell likes this.
  16. Ezzie

I went for my weigh in this morning and I’ve put on 4lbs over Christmas which, to be honest, was what I was expecting; I am very aware how much i have eaten and drunk over the past week. So. New pack from SW which I have just read, fresh start, intending to write it all down at least for the next 4 weeks. My aim is to lose 2 of those 4 lbs this week and a further 8lbs by the end of March which will take me to the 3 stones lost point. Happy to start the new 2019 thread. Happy New Year, all!

lizgaskell likes this.
  17. Tartuffe

Put on 4 pounds over Christmas, but managed to run 31 km from Christmas Eve until now. Managed 1000 km in the year, starting as a non-runner. Finishing the year almost 5 and a half stones lighter and feeling so much fitter. Will be eating and drinking tonight and then back to serious fitness for January.

lrw22 likes this.