1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2018 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Well I completed the half-marathon yesterday despite the heavy rain, cold and winds. Finished in 2:07:22, a new PB by 3 minutes, which I am pleased with as the course was quite hilly with a particularly nasty bit around 9 miles. Ended up soaked to the skin but still feeling comfortable to walk the 2 km back to the car. Now looking for one in January or February to keep up the motivation. Burnt 1,960 calories as well!

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Brilliant news!!

This is an amazing achievement- nothing like the rush.

3. lizgaskell

God still have four long days before we break up and I'm exhausted! So many late ones at school ( parents eve, revision stuff and meetings ) that I've missed my weights class for two weeks and managed only one run.

Daren't weight myself

4. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

The last few weeks have been very stressful both at home and at work, with no time to plan meals or even cook much. I have just been grabbing whatever is quick and convenient. I am going to my SW group tomorrow for the first time in a while, and if I am still within my target range I will be flabbergasted.

5. lizgaskell

Oh dear fried green tomatoes!

Sorry to hear it.

Have you had half term yet?

Only thing keeping me going

Antihero 14 hour day- all at school- done

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  6. friedgreentomatoes

Yes, half-term this week and next week (my school are doing all INSET days as twilight sessions to give us a two week break)! So at least the work stress has eased off. After group today I am going to sit down and plan some meals, then go shopping. Hopefully the scales will reveal that the damage is not as bad as I think it is!

7. lizgaskell

What a fab idea! I would love a two week half term- this is torture.

Hope it goes well on the scales

8. friedgreentomatoes

Somewhat flabbergastingly, I managed to gain only half a pound!

9. lizgaskell

Hey that's amazing !

I think you soon get used to your new weight and can notice even half a pound now!

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Fantastic achievement, tartuffe - well done.
    Been to SW tonight, have lost 3lbs this week. Hope I've managed to turn the corner at last. Decided to start a food diary again just over a week ago. Don't know why, but it does work for me ... writing down everything you eat is very boring, but it does (mostly) stop me eating biscuits and snacks! Hope I can keep it up.
    Hope everyone else is doing ok.

11. Tartuffe

Well there are two months left for us to reach our targets/maintain etc. I really hope to be able to reach the 31st December at 13 st 6 lbs which means I have about 11 lbs to lose. Even if I don't quite get there I will be happy to be at a weight which is much healthier and without some of the issues I had in January. I have started to record my food as rigourously as I did at the beginning of the year so this should help. Went out for a run this morning at 5.00 am in the freezing cold and did my best ever 5 km

12. lizgaskell

Doing ok here - half term will recharge my batteries- and I plan to do at least 30 mins exercise a day and even had slim fast for lunch yesterday! If I can get to 11 st 2 ( that's four more pounds) for 31.12. Sounds like nothing but it's probably going to be the hardest 4 lbs to lose.

I have already ft uawd to being my new weight and keep getting rid of clothes that are too big as after six months pretty much like this I can't see myself going back.

Trouble is I have little left to choose from- even many of my shoes are too big!

Let's do this

lindenlea and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  13. lizgaskell

How is everyone doing?

Work been very challenging- more than usual and as a consequence I feel as though I've been back eight weeks it six!

Getting to weights class - most of the time- but running and I have been strangers for more than two weeks.

As far as food is concerned I'm on it but too much wine ( see first paragraph) is probably wiping out the good work so same weight I think ...

Will weigh myself tomorrow and get into doing so every Saturday- just as I was doing when I first started.

Four pounds would be great- two will get me out of the 'overweight' category according to bmi.

Liz

14. Tartuffe

Up and down. I can;t seem to lose consistently any more. I lost 1.2 kilos last week for the weigh in, but had apparently put on 1 kilo the week before without their being any noticeable difference in my week. Wine is my weakness at the moment and have had more than I should - and the calories quickly mount up. I need to put myself back in the ultra-disciplined mind set of earlier in the year.

lizgaskell likes this.
  15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do you still need to lose or can you afford to plateau now. I monitor my weight daily and a low carb day adjusts any small gain. I would like to go down three pounds and one disciplined day wont do that but it stops the weight getting out of hand again.

lizgaskell likes this.
  16. lizgaskell

Seems you be a pattern for at least three of us then.

I reckon I might be able to get the last couple of pounds off but at the meone t the sacrifice required it too much.

Yes Tartuffe- wine too is probably not helping me either.

17. Tartuffe

Finally managed to shift the next kilo. Am actually eating slightly more than before but weighted to breakfast and lunch. Still running in the morning but added a half-hour Cross-Trainer/HIIT/Ex bike in afternoon/evening. Hopefully can press on this week and get to Christmas with some room to indulge

lizgaskell likes this.
  18. lizgaskell

God Tartuffe
    You shame me! I cancelled weights one of the two I take last week as I was just knackered.

I haven't run for a couple of weeks and that was only for 40 mins.

Tomorrow I have to cancell gym class - again- because 6.30 is the only time i can get a doctors appointment!

In the plus side eating is sorted- if you count the fact I can successfully get through the day on less than 400 Cals so weight not too bad abscess I managed to fit into a size 12 dress and not feel like a total horror

Work a bit challenging To say the least.

19. Tartuffe

Okay - just two weeks to the end of the year and I will be between five and a half and six stones lighter than I was last year, and so much fitter. I have just signed up to run my first marathon next year when I will be 50. Just need to avoid overdoing it at Christmas!!

20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Tartuffe, I am just awe-struck here! You've done SO well - Christmas is only really two days, you will quickly put right any damage done then. Well done everyone else, you all sound to be doing OK. I've managed to just get back into my SW target weight range, right at the top of the 3lb over allowed, but at least I'm there. I'm sure it will fall apart over the next few weeks, but I've proved to myself that I can do it and I'm determined to do it again if I slip! Happy Christmas, everyone x