1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2018 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well done, Tartuffe, that’s amazing. It’s not just about vanity and appearance, you must have achieved so many health benefits.

lindenlea likes this.
  2. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

That is brilliant Tartuffe, well done!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Hit 90.0 kg on weigh in. So 37 kilos lighter than 1st Jan 2018. Yes, many health benefits - no longer on Blood Pressure Medication and lots more energy. If I can do this as a 49 year old male, anyone can!

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We are in awe. Your family and friends must be so so pleased to see you looking so healthy. :D:D

Lara mfl 05 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  5. RjMaan

RjMaan New commenter

Yeah, i think you should have proper diet plan and working strategy so that you can properly work on your diet plan. Moreover, I think you should have proper exercise and game time so that you can stay fit. A friend of mine told me about phentermine supplement. I think you should proper meet any gym instructor as well who would guide you for proper exercise methods as well.

6. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

So, no weight gain over by four week summer holiday or since I returned to school 11 1-2 stone and size 11 - 14). I am 5 7.Hubby has stayed the same too ( like Tartuff- now 13 1/2 stones and a 34 waist for first time in twenty years) and he is 6 ft

I think we may have reached our own workable weight and need to maintain. He is keen to lose more.

Losing more will mean less food and more exercise and I'm not sure I can be bothered! I am 48 and he is 51 ...

As a women I think I could get too thin and looked more ravaged by time than I do!

Will do a quick check on The bmi thing but not sure that can be taken as fact.

Just throwing it out for discussion.

By the way- this is not causing arguments! Just interested in views and, if I'm honest, trying to ignore the pile of year ten books next to me on the worktop

7. Tartuffe

BMI is questionable as a lot of very fit muscular sports people's BMI would fall outside the 'healthy' range. I am currently 26.2 where 25 is top of the Healthy Range. I would need to reach 85 kilos to fit in this category. I really do not know if I have another 5 kilos to lose. My main focus is fitness with the running and hopefully getting the surgery on my hernia over.

lizgaskell likes this.
  8. lizgaskell

Hey Tartuffe

I agree, once the weight is off exercise is the key and being lighter means you can actually move more any way and actually enjoy it.

Lifted very heavy weights tonight- happy to be strong too

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Tartuffe

I haven't really got on to weights or resistance training, still mainly focusing on cardio (running). I did read that weight training has a longer effect on you during the day than cardio, but not sure if there is any scientific evidence.

Lara mfl 05 and lizgaskell like this.
  10. lizgaskell

Where is everyone?

Tough four weeks at school but maintaining my weight at least.

Had a bit of 'women's trouble' and some nasty and painful procedures - one of which went wrong! So hoping I can just get in with things now...

Lifted some really heavy weights tonight.

11 stone 6 and doing ok

lrw22 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Maintaining is great, especially under those circumstances!

lrw22, Lara mfl 05 and lizgaskell like this.
  12. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Lost a couple of pounds this week but having a mini Friday night pig out at the moment.

13. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Also lost a couple of lbs this week but off on holiday tomorrow so I’m expecting to put a couple back on again! I’ve lost 2 stones 5lbs this year. Feels good.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Husband now a bit concerned that his weight is continuing to go down. He has developed an arthritic knee and I think it is that worry that is doing it. He doesn't need to lose but he does need to follow a healthy diet - like everyone else. We are having three big meals in four days so my weight is bound to go up.

15. lizgaskell

11.5 this morning

Chinese tonight!

But hubby and son just told me my jeans look really baggy- been trying on and only have one pair that fit! Nice position to be in but need to buy a pair today I think... when bit at school I live in jeans

16. Tartuffe

Well done everyone - all moving in the right way. I have put on a couple of pounds over the last two weeks due to personal circumstances, but not drastically. I have a half-marathon on Sunday so need to fuel properly this week. I will then look at a serious effort to get rid of the last half stone which will take me to 13 st 6 lb. Then it will be a question of maintaining.

17. lizgaskell

You have done so well. Truly inspirational!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Tartuffe

Thanks, but I draw on reading posts from people here who are going through their own weight loss. I want to be able now to weigh on New Year's Eve and see that I have kept the weight off. Apparently two years is a key milestone once you have lost weight.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Re maintenance, for a long time I felt that if I lost control (significant word that) of my eating I would just blow up like a balloon overnight. I definitely felt I was addicted to overeating and had to stay really rigid in my diet. But now my appetite has shrunk a bit - probably with age, and I can maintain a reasonable weight and have a social life that includes meals and treats from time to time. I don't have a sweet tooth and can't eat as much fatty food as I used to because my digestion has changed - I wonder if that is where the 2 years comes in. So I have maintained a reasonable weight after losing about 2 stone, 20 years ago. Last night I was 9st 9lbs. I'd like to be less but that means I'm a size12 with a fat tummy but if I'm careful how I dress I look fairly slim. I do weigh every night - against the received wisdom - because my weight doesn't always do what I expect it to,and stay vigilant. I know several middle aged people who have lost and now successfully maintain a weight they are fairly content with but we are all really aware of what we eat. Not all dieters turn into yo yos

sunshineneeded likes this.
  20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I also weigh every day, lindenlea. I know it's not advised and I try not to - but something makes me. I'm not doing very well at the moment. I lost 2 stone over a 10 month period with Slimming World about two and a half years ago and got to my target of 9st 4lbs. I maintained it for just over 18 months, with a few ups and downs, but I stayed within the '3lbs either way' limit. Then, all of sudden, I was 2lbs over it - then 4lbs - then half a stone and my target seemed a distant memory. Nothing particular triggered it. It definitely gets harder to keep it off as you get older; friends and family have said that I need to accept that and be happy that I'm reasonably healthy. Of course that's true, but it doesn't stop me wanting to get back there. I don't have too far to go now; I'm 9st 10 and a half today. But boy, is it hard won!!!!
    I've just gone back to keeping a food diary, like you have to when you start SW - I think it will help me stay on the straight and narrow … I might not eat that biscuit if I know I'll have to write it down!

Time to go and start preparing a SW harvest veg casserole for tonight - they do have some great vegetarian recipes.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.