1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2018 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ezzie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I signed up for the 2017 version of this but did nothing about it and am now sitting here contemplating my huge belly which is probably a stone heavier than this time last year. So, next week I will be finishing off the mince pies then joining Slimming World (again) on 8th Jan. I lost quite a bit of weight with them in the past, and put it all back on again. Really up for it this year though, never felt so fat and unfit.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Well done for starting this...thank you.

I'm definitely going to work on the fitness as well as dieting this year.
    2018 is the year for me to get properly fit and healthy, which does require a fair bit weight-loss as well.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good to see the 2018 thread is 'all ready to go'. ;)

I'm starting back at my 'starting weight' of my 2007 diet. (I still have the sheet where I recorded my loss.;)) So although not quite as good as ctob's 2 stone loss in 2017 I still have lost just over a stone this year, although I also have another 2 stone to go. :oops:

EDIT Yes ctob the exercise defiitely helps and I'm hoping to improve on that this year.;)

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Ooh glad we have a new one...

Always feel really motivated when weee back at school ( no time to eat!) but once Xmas over I want to get back into old habits - picking at bits from the fridge, snacking and eating too much generally- so will withhold myself on the 1st Jan and see what the damage is.

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So pleased to see this new thread started. I didn't quite manage to stay on track except for Christmas and Boxing Day as I had planned ... no-one to blame but myself, nobody forced me to munch on chocs, nuts, crisps, mince pies and all the rest of the goodies for a week! The scales show the damage, I've put on four pounds!!!! Tried (half-heartedly) to do better today, but realistically know it will be Monday when I really get going. Like everyone else, I want to get fitter and healthier too this year ... we can do it!

6. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I'll give it a go again this year. I am going to start weight watchers again when term starts again.

welshchocoholic1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I lost a stone for my holiday but put it all back on. I'm doing Dry January to offset the annual pogfest when I scoff all the festive leftovers, but Feb, I'm back at Weightwatchers.

8. Va_lifecoach1

Va_lifecoach1 New commenter

3 simple steps to start losing weight without making too many changes in your life :

1 Start walking more ( walking burns more fat than running )
    Walk to the train station, walk to the grocery shop, find a reason to walk.

2 Drink water only
    Avoid juices and fizzy drinks

3 Eat your 5 a day
    Eat fruit as snack, it will help you eat less during your main meals

Once you get these 3 points right, you can start thinking about some specific training to gain fitness.

The best way to lose weight is slowly but consistently, changing few habits at the time.
    This way you will make long term changes

Vinny

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm joining in this year - would like to lose at least 2 stones. I'm going to focus on making sure I get enough sleep too. We have a big holiday in September and I definitely want to be at my best for that.

Welcome to TES @Va_lifecoach1 :)

10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm back!

Have gained about 1/2 stone back over November and December due to carpal tunnel surgery in early November and Christmas, naturally - but still kept off the other 2 stone lost last year. :)

My goal is to shift another 2 stone, starting today!

11. Lara mfl 05

Oh sabrinakat :( and you were doing so well!

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ah, only 7ish pounds....o_O

At least, not all back! :):D:eek:

13. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

I'm two pounds heavier this morning than I was when we broke up despite lots of fun- too much food and I know it

Will be more mindful of what I eat this week and then full on diet on stray if new term next Monday.

14. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I'm joining in as I am the size of a barn and miserable about it. I had an operation about 18 months ago and it has badly affected my metabolism and energy levels (essentially I am always totally exhausted and find it really hard to lose weight due to a sluggish metabolism). This has not been helped by pity-drinking (my dad is dying) and pity-eating (I tend to eat carby/sugary things to give me a little more energy, which are obviously pointless calories).

Today I feel revoltingly sick (tummy bug) so have eaten only some crackers and some wholewheat toast this morning. I may have to properly start being sensible once I've recovered as fasting isn't a good way of losing weight...!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Lara mfl 05

That was my big problem- comfort eating.:( Watching someone go downhill, knowing it will go only one way is so difficult and with my mother it was a long, slow, tortuous process over several years, with many emergengies in the last 2 years.:(

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I comfort eat too - and it doesn't have to be a big problem, as secretsiren and lara have described - although I certainly did a lot of it during my mum's last couple of years. But I can comfort eat if I have a cold ... or if OH is driving me round the bend ... or if I have a pile of marking to do ... or if I want to put a load of laundry out and it's raining ... or just about anything else you could think of that would cause mild irritation !!!
    Another reason why I need to be on this thread!

17. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I'm in - due to stress I lost half a stone before Christmas but weighed myself today and it's back on.

I'm about two stone overweight but look much more than that as I'm very short so any extra weight shows. Plan to weigh myself on Saturdays and will post here. I will have Saturday's off my diet. I did this in 2008/09 and lost 4 stone. I'm extra careful on the other days so have some spare calories for Saturday.

My NY resolution is no chocolate of any kind or chips until Easter. I've done similar before and been successful. I'm determined to shift the poundage for good this year.

Good luck to us all and may our family and friends be seeing less of us as this year progresses.

On a positive note I haven't eaten any chocolate (it's my downfall) since last year!

I walk to excercise but avoid more riotous excercise due to having my hip replaced a few years ago, at some point the other one will need doing but I'm trying to save it by not wearing it out.

18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’ll be here. I haven’t started today as we have had a big family day with lots of eating. Four years ago I lost two and a half stones to get down to a normal BMI and a sensible weight for me. I felt much better and enjoyed being able to shop for clothes more easily. Nearly one stone crept back on and I lost half of this between August and Christmas. I haven’t stood on the scales yet to see the damage. So, I don’t have loads to lose but would like to get on with it in January. I don’t believe in fad diets or very low calorie diets. Just changing habits, eating a bit less every day and keeping it up. Good luck everyone.

welshchocoholic1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oh heavens, that's not a great end to the holidays...but the calorie intake effects are always a silver lining.
    Fasting is apparently very good, but in a deliberate and controlled two or three days of the week way.

I'm starting next Monday.
    We don't go back until Thursday this week and diets can't start on a Thursday, especially when they are INSET. The new classes at the health club also start next Monday, so it will be all go from then.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

That's my approach too.:D
    Been on too many diets over the years when after a year or so I end up a stone heavier than when I started the previous diet.:(
    hence I'm not currently 'on a diet' but a 'diet-changing-habits programme'. Once it comes off want to ensure it stays off ths time. ;)