1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2017 on supply, done okay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JohnJCazorla, Dec 29, 2017.

1. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Throughout 2017 I've been on supply, largely the promise of long-term leading to permanent. Around Easter I discovered that I was in a shortage subject (Maths/Science in West Yorkshire) and could frequently charge the agency £195 per day which I've managed more often than not and, importantly, had very few days unemployed.

This year I've worked just over 170 days and taken home over £125 per day on average. A total take-home of over £21K for the year. Compared with the annual take home for UPS3 at £26K it doesn't look great but with the much lower stress well worth it.

Why am I posting this? 3 reasons spring to mind:
    1. I'm a smug g1t
      .........and I really want to rub it in to the rest of you.
    2. I've shown that Supply can be viable
      ........if you are determined to make the most of your luck.
    3. I'm a Messianic figure
      ....... who is leading the down-trodden permanent teachers from a life of drudgery and torment to err.. something a bit better.
    Any guesses welcome and Happy New Year

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

To add to the smug g1t option
    upload_2017-12-29_17-2-24.png
    So I am now a Senior Commentator, I'll just sit back and wait for the ........errrr....:cool:

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Supply work for 2017 - none!

5. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I worked 90 days in the 2016/17 academic year, although I could have worked more. I've earned enough to live on...no foreign holidays, but that's a luxury, not a necessity. I've had to ditch Toni & Guy for Supercuts and I'm a stranger at the Clarins counter...but there's always been food on the table and just enough money to pay for the gas bill.
    I'm still happier than I was working full time.