1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2017 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Jan 1, 2017.

1. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Back on the diet...I might be gradually losing again...very gradually, 100g at a time :) going to try and avoid buying any chocolate except lindt caramel with a touch of sea salt as i only need 1 piece of that to do me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’m stuck at the moment having lost half a stone. To be honest, with the festive season looming and meals out starting next week, I am going to concentrate on eating moderately on the days in between festive eating. If I can be in the same place I am now in mid January then i will be pleased and can plan from there.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's quite sensible and then one is less ikely to become disheartened by no weight loss for a while.
    We don't do much in the festive season and so hopefully I can keep going for a couple of week's yet, but Once we're into December I'll probably just aim to do 'maintenance' rather than loss too. ;)
    With another lb off, I'm now back at the weight I was in 2007, when I started my last diet. :rolleyes:

4. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I lost 3lb but have gradually put it back on because of CAAAAKE.
    3 family birthdays and my new Kitchenaid mixer, which I have to keep using because it was so expensive.....

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have lost a stone since September.
    Would like to lose another 10-12 pounds.
    Do-able.
    I feel much better for it.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm the much the same as I was at the beginning of the year. But at my age that counts as a win.

7. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Was going really well, slow (1lb every couple of weeks!) but come to a standstill and actually put 2 on this last week!

Not going to dwell on it; will try to get them off before we beak up.

Tough getting up at the moment let alone getting my trainers on.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Was doing well, but a broken down car put paid to going to exercise classes and means I walk through a busy station with all kinds of food temptations.

9. lizgaskell

Oh blimey caterpillar! I think it's hard changing lifestyle and getting into good habits to start with but when that gets challenged we are easily tempted! A colleague made me the most amazing birthday cake yesterday- you can't say 'sorry, you know I'm on a diet and have tried to to exist on dust all week because I have put two pounds in..' can you?

Been a rubbish week professionally too so I feel vulnerable to cake, wine etc...

Can't believe we have another week to go before we break up!

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've been doing OK for a while, but it's all fallen apart this week - Christmas dos, staff room goodies, etc - and I've put on 3lb!!!!!! I am SO fed up, but know it's my own fault. No point in beating myself up; am going to have a really healthy weekend and try not to go off the rails too much next week. Also telling myself that Christmas is actually only two days, so I will do my best to stay on the straight and narrow before and after. Slimming World keep emailing all kinds of variations on Christmas treats, but they all seem to involve so much work - it's much easier (and tastier) just to pop into M&S and load up the trolley!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not been feeling so good this week, so erratic eating patterns leading to constipation, so I'm putting the lack of weight loss down to that. :p

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

I get these...and FB ideas from Healthy Eating magazine.
    Swap the cream in your egg nog for fat free greek yogurt...
    Errrrr No!

sunshineneeded and Sundaytrekker like this.
  13. Sundaytrekker

I’ve stayed about the same these last two weeks which i consider good as I have had four Christmas meals out. It probably helps not being in schools five days a week at this time of year.

I will try not to start the Christmas goodies early this week. I’ll eat whatever I want for 3-4 days over Christmas then start easing back gradually again.

No point beating ourselves up. Just restart the good habits in January 2018.

Does that need a new thread?

tsarina and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

FOUR?! WOW! That's impressive!
    I've had one and didn't have the Christmas dinner as such either in the hope of being 'good'.
    I even didn't eat all the chocolate fudge cake as it was almost all cake and barely any fudge...very disappointing.
    Flip me, you are more restrained than I can be. We've finished the second pannettone and are heading towards finishing the second pack of bite size stollen as well. But that's over two weeks and sometimes the pannettone is instead of supper, so that's sort of good isn't it?

I'm going to be cycling to hair and nail appointments this week (and to yoga and pilates classes) so should be fitter for Christmas, even if not lighter. (Not being virtuous, but car has gone to car heaven, so no choice!)

Yes!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Sundaytrekker

Not four lots of turkey! I varied the choices.

16. lizgaskell

Can't get to weights class this week because of a birthday and a work do so that's like a double whammy! Promised myself a run yohign but hardly slept and need a bath and early night more than a run, so will need to be so careful with food and booze than ever!

Came home to find the biggest box of mixed nuts frm m and s has been dropped off a a gift- no!!!!

17. caterpillartobutterfly

Cycled 17 miles today! :eek:
    Like to say it was because I am so motivated to be fit and active and the like...but it wasn't.
    Still no car and a nail appointment needed urgently. No chance of being able to swap the appointment at this time of year so cycling it was. o_O

Actually, given my legs are likely to fall off later this evening, I reckon I'll lose about 4-5 stone from the ride. :D

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. lizgaskell

Wow! That's fab...

I ran five miles but it's a drop in the ocean when you see how many meals out, booze and choc I will be consuming over the next few days !

19. lizgaskell

Broke up today...

What a term!

Down a bit of shopping, had tea and now a long bath and a book. Wine later.

Booked a weights class for the morning which might be a bit silly but not getting up at six is a major lie in!

20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Only finished today! Think you're entitled to more than a glass of wine tonight ...!!!!

Think I've been fairly lucky so far as weight staying much the same despite Christmas goodies and meals out. But (as we all know) you can be ok for a while then suddenly have put on four pounds overnight! So I've decided to enjoy the next few days and not weigh myself at all - and get back on track after Boxing Day, hoping the damage is limited. Merry Christmas to all fellow weight watchers x