1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2017 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Jan 1, 2017.

1. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

did the september beginners challenge in the gym last night!

After three really good tutoring lessons I bounded into the gym at 9:15pm and decided to have a go at the challenge on the posters that I had been staring at for the last month. I really didn't think i would be able to do it. 1km rowing was ok, but 30 squats, situps, pressups and burpees was probably out of my league and i definitely couldn't run on the treadmill to do half a mile. However i gave it a go, split the situps pressup and squats into sets of 10, got them done and then started running... i called over to the gym instructor who has been giving me motivational advice..."hey Leon...I'm running!!!" it felt so good as 6 months ago i could barely get up the stairs without feeling out of breath. Then he stood by me as i did the burpees and then laughed at me as i collapsed in a heap at the end.

am now in the draw to win free membership for a month :)

sabrinakat, lizgaskell and lindenlea like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I lost a stone and a half about 20years ago so its been all about maintenance since then. I used to be able to hold on to 9 st 7lbs but these days its a pound or so above that. Cornwall pushed me up to 9st 11 but back a couple of pounds by last night. I still feel that if I don't weigh every night I will one day wake up blown up like a balloon. Off to the theatre tonight so there will be gin and ice cream but an hour and a half of yoga tomorrow. Luckily my husband doesn't demand carbs with every meal or I'd be a gonner.
    [​IMG]

sabrinakat, Lara mfl 05 and tsarina like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I think that was January 2017! I managed not to put more on ad have lost 4-5 pounds over the last 5 weeks or so. We’ve just been away for a few days so haven’t got back on the scales yet. That will be tomorrow, I hope.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not sure I'm doing well with the dieting, but plenty of progress on the flexibility and fitness front.
    I can now keep up fully with spin classes, even on the standing rides.
    And I can touch my toes (just) in yoga (NEVER imagined I was even 'that' kind of person.)
    And (this is weird) imagine lying on your front, bending your legs from your knees and reaching round to hold on to your feet/ankles. Until this week I have just flailed my arms somewhere in the vague direction of my feet, not a hope of actually touching them, let alone holding on. This week I could reach and hold in Pilates. I am now a flexible freak!

If I get sorted on super-duper dieting as well, I'll get there. :)

tsarina and Sundaytrekker like this.
  5. Sundaytrekker

Well done, ctb, with the exercise. Little by little shows improvement. I can touch my toes and just about do the shape you describe but basic crossing my legs in yoga is so difficult. Why do my knees stick up so much when other people have them flat to the floor?

I stood on the scales and hadn’t put weight on from my holiday. We did loads of walking so used all the calories up. Now for the next five pounds.....

6. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Sunday trekker, I too have the ridiculous issue with my knees in yoga! I am the only one not doing this properly in class- feel like the difficult kid in class but I am doing my best!

Also cannot balance like everyone else however, when trying to show hubby what I mean in high heels in the kitchen I catually can do it.

Ran twelve miles this afternoon. Ouch.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

I can't do balancing either.

And am a teeny weeny bit not sober, so won't be dieting tonight!

8. lizgaskell

Not weighed myself but just checking in to say 'hi.'

Weights class tonight was great and almost made up for the nightmare of losing half term flights and fining they are 7 ( yes seven) times more expensive now to book with another airline.

Almost.

To be fair I have altered plans and should still be able to make it - at a price.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Nope - my focus until half-term is maintenance* ;)

*code for eating a bit more than for weight loss but not gaining.

Sundaytrekker and lizgaskell like this.
  10. lizgaskell

How's things everyone?

I feel knackered. Could literally go to bed now.

No weight loss but staying the same Is fine

11. caterpillartobutterfly

Been not exactly poorly, but sort of, this week so skived yoga on Tuesday. Missed spin on Monday and today and pilates yesterday due to school bits and bobs, so feeling a bit lazy.
    However trousers were VERY loose today, so probably should brave the scales at the weekend and have a look.
    Hopefully a couple of pounds off.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

I’ve rejoined slimming world for the umpteenth time. I was at my heaviest again - 12st 10. I always seem to get to this upper limit then kickstart my weight loss again!! I’ve stuck to it - ish - for a week, and managed to lose 3lb! :D:D:DIt’s really hard when you’re at home though - had to stop myself buying biscuits as I know I’ll eat them all if I do!

On the gym scheme of things, I’m really struggling to get the motivation to go. I had a really good strength training routine before the summer hols so I need to get back to that. My aim is one lower body say, one upper body day and one cardio day. Please keep posting your updates everybody as it’s a big motivator! X

13. lizgaskell

Okay, end if the week and I'm done in.

Had a brilliant meal (hubby a superb cook) but have to run three miles now and it's dark.

Will do it but vow not to move of the sofa for the rest of the night.

Still avoiding the scales. Tomorrow maybe?

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Go for it!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. lizgaskell

11 st. 12lb

Still the same after weeks! Need to go full on next week!

First half marathon tomorrow !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Only did pilates once this week and no gym at all. Been doing a lot of sitting at the computer as I have 50 free listings on etsy to use before wednesday. Spent all morning setting up photograph shots and my shoulders and back are now seriously complaining. Going to eat some more chocolate muffin. On the plus side I just got some new, very beautiful leather walking boots as an advance birthday present so might take them for a walk later. Have worked out an hours walk is probably the equivalent calorie burn as 40 minutes in the gym moving from station to station. Going to take up walking again.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

Skived spin this morning to stay in bed...:oops:

But have lost 2lbs since errrrrrm last time I weighed myself. Let's not worry how long ago that was!

18. Sundaytrekker

Two pounds off is great ctb. It matters not how long it took, you’re still going in the right direction.

19. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Pretty much stationary in all respects.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it helps I've been on this diet for 10 months now and have lost the grand total of 4 lbs. :( :rolleyes: And I'm a stone heavier than you.:oops: (Age and hypothyroidism don't help of course.;))