1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2017 is the year to diet!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Jan 1, 2017.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Here we go then...

I weight (*Gulp)13st 2lb. So only a stone more than what I thought was worst case scenario.:rolleyes:
    Nice diet consultant measured my upper arm circumference to be 12 inches...that is one whole entire ruler!!!:eek:
    Then she measured my upper thigh circumference to be 24 inches...seriously? Two whole rulers to get round my leg.:oops:
    My aim is to wear this in the spring:
    Coatigan
    I have it in a size 8 from 3-4 years ago and love it to bits. I WILL wear it again...hopefully.

I am starting Cambridge Weight Plan (CWP) on Tuesday. 3 shakes/bars/packets a day and the occasional 200 cal meal if I am absolutely starving.
    No alcohol. :(
    For diet coke she said 'the odd one.' So that is daily isn't it? o_O

What are you up to?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I'm going to try my hardest to eat healthily and cut out the rubbish. If that fails, I'll rejoin weight watchers as that worked the last time.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That has made me feel slightly better ctob. Haven't put myself on the scales for a while but last time I remember being aghast at 13 stone.:eek: Due to pop into bath in a mo when I've finished waiting for the jelly to half set for the 'fake cheesecake', then I shall dare to pop myself on.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm way more than you ctob :( you are more the weight I'm AIMING for ... but I'm very tall and I run alot.

My aim is no sweets or cakes or alcohol. Cut down on fat, I can't go on a low fat diet for health reasons, so weight watchers or slimming world is out.

5. install

install Star commenter

I am 14 stone- arghh! Giving up carbs, chocs and taking up exercise..

6. caterpillartobutterfly

You could do one of the low carb ones, or high protein.

dunnocks likes this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

is that one you do on your own? or can it be done with weight watchers? I know slimming world turned me away and said they couldn't do anything with someone that is required to stay on a medium to high fat diet, and they said weight watchers would be the same, but I didn't actually check.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That is the only thing that works for me. No amount of cutting back on foods seems to, but then I've always eaten fairly 'healthy' anyway. If only I could knock the 'comfort-eating'(has to be biscuits and chocolate :( :oops:) I would probably be OK. Each year I think my care duties might be over and I can really get on with my own life and each year it doesn't happen.So as I now have different care duties (grandchildren) that never will happen now, so I need to try to get a handle on it now and stop waiting.

My most succcessful weight losses have always been due to an increase in exercise. So that's what I shall start with.

Generally I also only weigh once a month, but do measurements. Surprising how one's measurements can change whilst not losing any actual weight?o_O Question is Dare I? I still have my last ones up on the larder door and I shall be so disappointed I've put it all back on plus some.:(

thistledoo likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

Well others aren't stating any numbers until nearly the end of January, so you could get on with the exercise and so on, then take a deep breath and see where you are by then?

If you have health issues that mean you have been told by a medical professional to stick to a medium to high fat diet, they ought to be able to help you with losing weight. Go back to them and ask.

thistledoo, Lara mfl 05 and dunnocks like this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

actually, thats sensible, I thought I could do it on my own but I'm not actually getting anywhere.

Sometime this week I'm going to have to pluck up the courage to weight myself :eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. gargs

gargs Star commenter

So here we are!
    I'm looking forward to popping in and out and being motivated by the success of others!
    My extra calories come from snacking and alcohol - I'm just going to have to cut down on them I guess.
    According to that new NHS questionnaire, I need to increase the amount of 'strengthening' exercise I do - not even sure I want to find out what that actually means!
    Here's to a healthier us in 2017!

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Do we need a separate thread for the weekly weigh-in and one for the general chat about it?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Well I weigh more than all of you; far too ashamed to say. I need to lose 3 stone but would be happy with 2. So I shall tell you how much I lose each week (fingers crossed that I actually lose some!) but not what the scales are showing. Can't believe how lardy I am, I was always a big girl but this is ridiculous. Was clothes shopping with my daughter yesterday and everything I tried on looked horrible. My usual pick me up when this happens is to buy shoes but I really don't need any more shoes! Here goes then. Diet starts on the 6th when the last of my visitors leave, first declaration on here on 25th. Good luck everyone!!

14. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

It's all relative though, isn't it?

I need to lose weight but only from my thighs and bum. My god they are huge. But actually that is only in relation to the rest of me. I look slim from the waist up but between my waist and knees it's actually quite horrid.:( I joke about it being behind me so I cannot see it, but really when your tumm is bigger than your boobs and your bum needs a seat of its own, it's time to deal with it. Thank god for clothes they hide soooo much!:oops:

I guess walking the dog needs to become walking the dog fast, fast, fast....
    ;)

thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Oh heavens! No pressure then! :eek:
    I think you may be right. This is turning into more chatter than I'd anticipated. Not that I mind in the slightest.
    You could well be significantly taller than me and so not really be bigger.
    Don't be ashamed...it's a too big body you've achieved, not mass slaughter!
    Really not something to be ashamed of.
    Me too... I have a LOT of shoes! I use them as a pick me up, but also when I want to buy something but there is no point in buying clothes because I'll lose weight soon. Honest. Probably. Oh rats, more shoes it is then!

16. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

If you decide you have too many shoes, I recommend bags and jewellery as other things that you'll like wearing no matter how much you weigh :)
    It's sad to read the amount of self-hate on this thread - by all means, try to lose weight if you would feel healthier, but don't be feeling ashamed or angry with yourself for having put on weight or having difficulty losing it. You're the same person, no matter what you look like and whether you're a size 8 or a size 30.

thistledoo, catmother and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

I didn't notice that at all...only one person mentioned shame.
    Being honest about one's flaws is not the same as self hate.

calamansi and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I need to lose 50 pounds and I am starting SW and getting back to running three times a week!

19. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I lost 2 stones and a bit three years ago to get to 9 st 8. I was thrilled with that although still not skinny as I'm not very tall. However about 3/4 stone has gone back on and I've unsuccessfully tackled that over the last year. Time for a concerted effort so this might help motivate me.

I agree no one should feel bad or ashamed however it is health prospects that are the most concerning. All the reports say we will live longer if we are at a healthy weight. A slightly raised cholesterol last summer concerns me together with a family history of diabetes. As I've just retired, I intend to get into some good habits in January. I already go to exercise classes and hope to keep active. Not running: my knees can't do that!

20. caterpillartobutterfly

My boobs can't do running!!!