1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2016 test materials released too easy and no algebra

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rednorfolk, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

Where is the algebra and the new geometry ? what are the bright kids going to be taught no mention of a replacement of level 6. The content is too easy for bright kids, the only tackling thing for them is the time they have to do the questions in, that is not developing mathematical knowledge and understanding, after 25 years teaching I almost give up, Uk kids will forever be behind the European countries. What do others think ??

2. 1983teacher1983

1983teacher1983 New commenter

I think you underline the problem with the idea of mastery.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I was very unsure on this idea of "mastery and greater depth at first. However, after lots of reading and discussions I think that the idea of depth and mastery is a good thing. Enriching the learning and really developing concepts and skilsl instead of just rocketing onto the Level 5 or Level 6 stuff sits well with me.

However, if a teacher feels that a child has mastered and is ready to move onto something else then surely they will do that even if it isn't on a test? After all our job is not to only teach children something that appears on a SATS test is it?

4. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Agree with the above. This also gives schools the opportunity to do a 'Gifted Mathematician Competition' or such at their leisure.

5. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

So can you tell me what I do with my pupils who will year 4 in September who easily get 100% of the test papers that was published on Monday. ?

6. summlard

summlard New commenter

You continue to push them and stretch them. Challenge threir understanding. the sats is just one test. Just because they are going to do well doesn't mean they don't have to be taught anything.

7. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Get them to teach the class - sorted!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You follow the curriculum and avoid teaching to the test ... The sample test isn't relevant teach what they need

9. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

The sample questions are just that they do not cover the whole curriculum. I was told not to expect the samples to cover the whole curriculum I always expect the worst and I will wait to see what is on the actual test

I am just going to teach the curriculum get loads of problems and investigations from STEM and NRich

Algebra and geometry are on the curriculum so don't be fooled by these samples. I have gotten through year 6 by always expecting the worst in relation to tests. This has worked so far.

10. abacus1982

Agree with the above. It's all about teaching what the children need to know, giving them greater depth and understanding and lots of opportunity to investigate/problem solve not just teaching them what is on a sample test. Personally if I had a year 4 class who in September could all do 100% of the sample year 6 test then I would be absolutely delighted to have that problem!

11. It is also about applying those skills universally too and being able to vocalise their understanding of a concept! If I had that class I would be doing lots of U and A stuff!!

12. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

I would suggest that all of the above should visit any German or Dutch primary school, in the equivalent year 6 class as I do on a regular basis and see how far ahead the pupils are, once they have mastered the basics they don't do do "wishy washy" extension problem solving they teach them harder stuff. Personally I'm going to do that, as most of the EAL student parents I teach want that too.

13. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

Actually, if you take a look at the curriculum for Maths in most German states - for the equivalent age group - then it isn't that dissimilar to the new NC. They are further ahead with basics, because there's rarely the amount of differentiation going on, that is being used here. Children are expected to learn at the same pace, working through their workbooks from cover to cover and meet end-of-year expectations. If they don't, they get supported or eventually held back. There is also the expectation that children learn things independently....and a lot of input from home, if you intend to go on to grammar school.

I'm not sure why you consider problem solving to be "wishy washy". We used to do loads of application tasks in Maths - particularly at grammar school level. "Transfer" questions are an essential part of the German assessment process, if a student is to be awarded with a higher grade. It's about applying what you know to more complex questions and to develop mathematically. That's hardly "wishy washy". There's no point in moving on to "harder" stuff, if all you can do is recall basics without an appropriate understanding of how to manipulate the maths you know in a new context.

14. abacus1982

I guess it all depends on what you consider "harder stuff" to mean. I think there's been a real misconception in mathematics that harder stuff means that if a child can multiply three digit numbers by three digit numbers then give them four digit by four digit. Or if they can calculate area of a shape give them a slightly more complex shape. If they know the process then the next step is to apply that process in context not do exactly the same thing again but it take them slightly longer as it involves more steps to it.