1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2016 Olympics: What Rio doesn’t want the world to see

Discussion in 'Geography' started by AndrewvanZyl, Jul 1, 2016.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Dear Geography Teachers

This was a really interesting perspective on Rio and the upcoming Olympics. I've heard lots about the possible health risks, but not much about how the city is trying to "hide" the poor. Enjoy, Andrew

Published on Jun 27, 2016
    Rio is hiding poor people.
    The 2016 Olympics are set to begin in just over a month in Rio de Janeiro. As the city prepares to receive an influx of international visitors, it is building new infrastructure and transportation systems to accommodate the surge. But the city is also undergoing another major project: hiding and removing poor people from view of foreign onlookers. I went to Rio to see how the city is transforming to make way for the Olympics

2. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

I've just watched to the end and realised this has great resonance in South Africa-moving people where it's convenient for you, as the government, not for them and their actual, daily needs. Got to remember to pass this on to South African teachers!