1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2012 fee increase?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Teacher_Jen, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hey guys,
    Is there going to be a 2012 increase in fees for PGCE and SCITT as with the rest of the university fees that seem to be happening?
    I'm really panicking because I don't know if I can afford it.
    Please help.

2. Hey guys,
    Is there going to be a 2012 increase in fees for PGCE and SCITT as with the rest of the university fees that seem to be happening?
    I'm really panicking because I don't know if I can afford it.
    Please help.

3. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

There is (how much will depend on individual courses, but I'd have thought many if not most would charge the full £9,000), but you don't have to pay it up front. Assuming you're eligible for student finance, you'll be able to take out a tuition fee loan for the amount which is paid back at a rate of 9% of all your income over £21,000 (almost identical to a tax, except once you've paid off the balance you stop paying it).

4. Many providers have yet to announce the fees for PGCEs in 2012 - we are still waiting for information on numbers and this may affect decisions, but my best guess is that the fees will be set at maximum, though institutions may well have ways for students to access reduced fees depenedent on status etc in much the same way that current fees must have supporting schemes that have aneffect of reducing overall the impact.
    Remember, as said, that these are not paid 'upfront' and you should also be able to take out a student loan for these fees even though it is a postgraduate course - there is also a scheme in place for bursaries which, in shortage subjects could be linked to your degree classification. The current proposal is that a physics, chemistry or maths graduate with a first class honours degree could receive a tax free bursary of £20,000 (the equivalent of a teaching salary of about £23-24K). a 2:1 would attract £15K and a 2:2 £11K other subjects would also get a bursary with the lowest being £4K
    James

5. Thanks to both of you for helpful information.
    I am expecting the worst to happen and the fees to increase. However that said, I am eligible for student finance I believe but I'm already in around £25,000 of university debt from the first time round and since I only work part time, haven't even started paying it off.
    Will getting a student loan out for pgce added on to the already huge debt put me in trouble for the future? I am applying to GTP too but not holding out much hope for that.
    Thanks guys.