1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 SATs marking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MaisieMai, May 21, 2011.

1. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

I'm thinking about applying to mark KS2 SATs papers next year, but I can see from past posts that people have had problems with Edexel. Is there anybody out there marking papers this year who can comment on how its going, payment, any admin difficulties, whether it's worth it etc please. I would really appreciate your opinions.
    Thank you very much.

2. inq

inq

I've never had a problem with Edexcel - ATS were a nightmare a few years ago but it's been OK for me since.

3. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Oops! I meant 2012, of course.
    Thanks inq.
    Anyone else?

4. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

5. I have found it fine - although not had payment yet so no difficulties to report!!

6. taj

taj

I've had no problems with Edexcel and this is the third year I've marked with them. Everything usually runs very smoothly, we are fully informed and we get paid on time! The bad reports you have read were probably to do with ETS who were supposedly administering the tests in 2008 and made a compete pig's ear of it.

7. I marked the ETS year and actually had minimal problems with it (ended up with one school's scripts I shouldn't have had).... some people did have a nightmare though (there was an epic thread on here at the time) - we did have a nice spot of nostalgia at marker training this year over the horrors of that year (and that includes the godawful Garnet and Citronella reading paper)!
    Been much smoother since Edexcel took it back over though!

8. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Aw thanks to you both. Will keep it in mind for next year.

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

If you do, don't be surprised to find that on the Edexcel website, you're not given a link to SATs where you can apply. If you get a contract, there'll be no mention of SATs - or of anything that the letters might stand for.
    It's because they're tests for university entrance.
    With Edexcel, it's "national curriculum tests" that you're interested in (and "sats" is just a nickname arising from a mistake). So, on the website, you'll follow the link to "NCT".

10. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Markuss, please stop banging that drum. We all know they're not SATs, but until all parents and newspapers stop calling them that, then we'll all keep calling them SATs too. Plus NCTs is a mouthful and too confusing what with childbirth and everything.

Nothing wrong with nicknames.

11. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Absolutely nothing wrong with nicknames.
    Only if you don't know it's idle slang and think it's official - and imagine you know how to spell it.
    The "TES" doesn't use that name, by the way: it uses a journalists' invention.
    Don't teachers spend most of their time teaching appropriate names for things?
    So, why not educate children and parents with regard to this topic?
    The pronunciation of "SATs" in its official sense is "ess ay teez". That's not too much of a moutful that students doing them have to pretend they're something else.
    You say "we all know" they're not SATs. So why do "we" all pandar to ignorance? Did the original poster know?
    OK. I'll stop banging it.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I take it you always use the 'proper' name for things/people/places? Never use a nickname?

The pronunciation is not ess ay teez. We are not talking about the tests for university.

13. taj

taj

We are not talking about Ess Ay Tees Markuss -as everyone on here knows, they are American university/college entrance tests.
    We are talking about SATS, a colloquial; name for National Curriculum tests. Teachers call them SATS, head teachers, call them SATS, kids call them SATS, parents call them SATS, newspapers call them SATS. Unofficially they have always been referred to as SATS and they always will be. Everybody knows what it means, just as everybody knows when you refer to kids , you are talking about children, not baby goats.
    Try saying it a few times and you might get over your hang up.
    Rememember they are not Ess Ay Tees, they are SATS
    SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS SATS [​IMG]