1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 KS2 Writing SATs predictions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by asvasco, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Ok so it's that time of year again! I'm interested to hear your opinions on what genre what crop up in the writing this year? I'm thinking a journalistic piece is surely on the cards or perhaps something very 21st century - an email or blog? I'd love to hear your opinions though, only a bit of fun!

2. How embarrassing - I've just read back my post! That's why you should always read over & edit your work! Oh well Year 6, do as I say, not as I do! lol

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Narrative? Possibly a diary entry.

4. Could be a playscript....only because my first year teaching year 6 it was a blinking playscript and we hadn't covered it all. Time for that again? Or maybe a formal letter....?

5. Don't think playscript - like instruction there is too little op for level 5. I'm thinking more of persuasion - maybe a letter or possibly fiction.

6. The "favourite meal" short task with a picture of a plate of beans on toast and another with half a pepper and mushrooms begged the same question. Terrible.

7. Speaking from the dark side as a marker - I'm betting Olympic related for the reading in some way and probably something newspaper/journalistic for writing - could see it being a website type page rather than something straightforward if they're going for their slight twists on genres thing they try sometimes.
    Just please God, NO MORE TRAINERS!!! I loved marking the Miptors last year (although I wanted some of whatever some of these kids had had for breakfast) but the trainers... gawd! Although that one did constantly amuse me that the kids suggested velcro... when I was at school you were an instant social outcast if your mum made you wear velcro shoes!

8. I reckon journalistic writing has to come up sooner or later - but im hedging my bets on a letter of complaint for the persuasive element.
    I really hope its not a story for the long writing task - too much scope for 'going off on a tangent'. Please god not a playscript - or discussion textx for that matter!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Surely they'll keep that for next year?

10. I think it will be: instructions on how to persuade someone to discuss an issue which explains why something works. Should be easy!!

11. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

written backwards with your left hand (or right hand if you are left-handed)

12. ...or a recount of persuasive playscript explaining and discussing 'Do children have too much to think about in a Sats writing test?'

13. I will be so happy when next week is over, the constant worrying about what it could be!
    I enjoyed last years short write my kids could actually write something, even my poor boys managed to get something decent out about the school caretaker who runs the football team.
    I just hope it is something that they can relate too, something they can enjoy and really shine - they seem to want to trick them - why not try to give them something where they can really show what they can do???

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mine hated it, especially my poor autistic boy who spent 20 minutes trying to decide who to write about. He was incapable of making a decision about anything,he once spent 15 minutes trying to decide whether to colour the sea dark or light shades of blue, so that task was a non starter for him ( and he missed level 4 by one mark because of it[​IMG])

15. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

We were discussing this in school today and decided that it's not fair really when you think about it.
    Think of the teachers who know someone who was involved in the decisions on which style of writing to use this year. Think of the teachers who know someone working at the printers or in packaging. Who writes the examples printed in the mark schemes - some teachers must know them!
    Sad or not, I wish I was one of them!

16. Omg I can't bear it!! I come on this thread, read all the predictions and get all nervous- but can't STOP myself!! Have gone over journalistic, letters of complaint, letters of persuasion, Miptors and reports and that's just since Easter! Will now go over play-scripts (surely not!) tomorrow...but am desperately hoping that it's not narrative as I haven't touched that ALL YEAR!!!!

17. Come on then..... how can the writing relate to the reading test???

18. I'm sticking to my guns... journalistic - newspaper report & continuation of a story. Good luck to all your children tomorrow!

19. I reckon a persuasive letter for the long and instructions of some sort for the short. :-/

20. I have been saying journalistic writing for the past 4 years! This year I have changed my thinking and am going for:

Short - Description - story opening, setting or scene
    Long - Persuasion / Discussion - leaflet, letter or speech

WHO KNOWS?

Please be nice and make up for the terrible reading paper!