1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Allotmenteering

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Thanks, Oldsie! I'm after a 10 x 12 to go on the base that's there already. There's currently a strange pavilion-type thing that, I suspect, they <strike>nicked </strike>got on the cheap from a bowls' club or something. It's decidedly wonky and is not ideal because it doesn't let in enough light.
    There's a nice-looking Robinson 10 x 12 on there at the moment with no bids and starting at &pound;75, but it's miles away in High Wycombe and too much for us to dismantle anyway. Quite what I would do with 12 feet long base lengths in my little car is another matter, in any case!
    I'll keep my eyes open for something closer. Thanks for the tip about cold frames. Now that is a good idea!!

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

there is a 12x 6 in ebay going for 25 at the moment with one day to go
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12ft-x-6ft-Aluminium-greenhouse-/190818542308?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item2c6dabe2e4

3. oldsomeman

there is a20' one here lol
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Metal-Greenhouse-large-Green-House-from-Sussex-RH13-/121088141127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c316a6747

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have just won my greenhouse on ebay. &pound;70 for a 10 X 6.[​IMG]
    It's away up in the Pennines. Off for a day out to collect it tomorrow.
    Is it wrong to plan to put a deckchair in a greenhouse? Is that not what they are for?

5. Yay, Nelly!
    I've just finished digging over the veggie bed. That 2 x 10 metres of growing space... OK, I could nick a bit more [​IMG]
    Climber did the chicken fence for the new girlies and watched as I did all the hard work (OK, so he can't as his hand is still recovering, so he does have an excuse!).
    Tomorrow, after I have checked the weather one more time, I'll chit my peas and beans and consider sowing other stuff, or maybe on Wednesday(ish).
    I'm gardening.... wooopeeee!

6. Gardening Leaves

I'm gardening too! Just popped in for lunch.
    I've watered everything in the greenhouse. Dug out 2 sackfuls of Spanish bluebell bulbs. Defleeced the peach and pear trees to let them get some sun and I'm digging over my new veg plot.
    I have lots of veg in the greenhouse in modules because it's been too cold to sow direct. Got some sweet corn to sow in there later.
    Have moved and potted up the grasses and stuff from prairie border to make room for the veggies. I need to dig a large new border in a new place so I can replant them. OH is looking distinctly concerned, as he always does when I dig up more lawn!

7. Wonderful day gardening - at last!
    I managed to get Mr C off his **** and we gave the garden a good tidy and I repotted all plants that were in shattered pots. I lost eight terracotta pots this year :(
    I emptied the compost bin and gave all my containers a nice top dressing and finally finished pruning the clematis. Repotted the pear tree I bought last year and prepared a heap of pots ready for seed sowing..just hope the neighbourhood cats stay out of them!

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Is greenhouse glass a standard size?
    It was a bit bumpy over the snow topped Pennines today. We have broken about 3 panes and there were a couple already broken.

9. oldsomeman

No they are not.you need to measure each one and get it cut as you cant buy them off the shelf.

10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Potatoes went into the ground today. Two large beds dug and planted out. Got the back ache to prove it. Might not have been a good idea to use blue tarps to cover the ground because they have broken down and made a mess.
    Next job, raised beds made from old floorboards. We have a mound of mushroom compost and also some sacks of horse manure bought last year down a very steep rutted lane. Then the greenhouse to assemble at the front of the house with permaculture principles in mind.
    Lots of daffs out now and the snowdrops still showing. Blossom is just showing on the trees. The lawned areas that were wild with nettles and brambles are greening nicely and I cannot wait to get the battery operated lawn mower going on them. Don't know why we wasted our lives hauling a hover mower around when battery one is a dream to use and easy to move around too with wheels on.
    Still lots of old wire fence to move and loads of brambles and ivy but much better than last year when the whole garden was overgrown with brambles and ivy.
    A nice gentle rain now to get things watered.

11. Gardening Leaves

This new garden sounds fabulous, Nelly. When we were house hunting, we looked at a house with a huge, overgrown garden. I was desperate to get my hands on it! Unfortunately the owners were bonkers and we ended up not buying it. I still mourn for it!

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What varieties? I'm doing Red Duke of York early, Charlotte, Kestrel and Cara this year. If you're near the sea or can get hold of some seaweed, try adding that to the patch and also using it as a foliar feed - it's magic stuff.

13. Gardening Leaves

Just Charlotte and Maris Piper this year. They are still chitt5ing but I shall plant them tomorrow.
    Have just pricked out my cauliflowers and will sow my courgettes tomorrow.
    Still trying to clear bits of the old prairie border that used to be in the spot. Have pots of stuff to be moved into a new border asap. Have also dug up the rhubarb that was looking weedy this year. I know it's the wrong time to be doing it, but it was flooded through the winter and I'm afraid of crown rot. With luck, I can spilt it and move it to a better spot without too much damage. It wouldn't have survived much longer where it was, anyway.

14. oldsomeman

when you split it use just the outside sections if you can..
    I have managed to get a day in down on my allotments....weeding, and mowing and rotovating.........mind you got pelted with hailstones, thunder and lightening and then rain.....so had to give up rotovating as the ground had turned to a bog......one hour later it was bright sunshine.....but too late home by then!

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh happy afternoon declaring war on the dandelions. I have seen a newt in the pond too. The garden is full of bulbs and blossom.
    Happy battery lawnmower mowering and generally labouring in the sun.
    I do so like to be digging in the soil. I am a dirty girl!

16. The garden has been hoovered. My veggie bed is getting its made to measure cloches fitted.
    My greenhouse is supplying toms, chillies, aubergines, beans and peas, physallis, cucumbers, squash, courgettes and others, like root veg in toilet rolls.
    Our almost neighbour just delivered overstock of rocket and lettuce and some stocks.
    I'll be putting my overstock out for swaps next weekend and may even get cabbage and caulis in the ground!
    But it is sooooooooooo hot I am a little bit sun burned..... how quickly things have changed!

17. Gardening Leaves

I've been out there since seven this morning (!), planting up the plants I moved to create the new veg plot and digging over the rest. Still some to go but I can see the end of it.
    My brassicas, onions and sweet corn have been hardening off so they can go in now. Tomatoes, peppers and courgettes are coming along nicely in the greenhouse. The leeks sown a few weeks ago need pricking out now.
    I love it when the weather's like this!

18. Oh I love pricking out. I could ***** out for Britain!
    I so envy all those of you with big gardens and greenhouses. I have the smallest area to grow anything in....boo hoo. Still, all my bedding is hardening off nicely and I aim to plant out next week - but always keeping a careful eye on the weather forecast.
    I have courgettes and borlotti beans sown into containers and lettuces too. It will be a reasonably productive garden helped by anything my son has left over.