1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Allotmenteering

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Thanks, cosmos, this looks really interesting. I know you can put meat etc into bokashi bins though I've not tried it. Does it not attract rats? And is the resulting compost ok in texture? Not greasy? We dont get much cooked food waste but all our uncooked (non meat/dairy) kitchen waste goes through a wormery. Even this time of year we find that very effective.

2. The bin is sealed at the base so rodent proof - there are tiny holes for worms though.
    The resulting compost is fabulous stuff - not greasy at all as I still add the 'browns' to the mix. I am completely hooked on my Johanna.....can you tell?

3. Gardening Leaves

2013 and...we're off!

I've got mini bell peppers and tomatoes (Gardeners delight and Sungold) germinating in the propagator and caulis, broad beans and broccoli sown in modules. Need to get on and move the rhubarb to its new home, plant the raspberries and finish preparing the beds. The peach tree has fat buds waiting to open. Another week or so of mild weather and it will be in blossom. Then I will be out u.Der the fleece with my paintbrush to pollinate it. I so want a decent spring and summer this year!

4. Hurray GL!
    I was talking about seed sowing last night at a garden club and saying that although the population at large still thinks it's winter, gardeners know that it's spring and high time to get sowing!
    I hope we get a decent spring and summer - I couldn't take yet another failed crop of tomatoes or another slug war!

5. Gardening Leaves

I'm looking forward to gleaning advice from all the experienced veg growers. I'm a very experienced ornamental gardener, but have never been bothered to seriously grow my own before. I've converted a sunny area about 12m by 9m , backed by a nice warm wall on which fruit already grows.

6. I've never been able to seriously grow veg in my pocket sized garden, but it is astonishing how much I can cram into containers!
    However, my eldest son recently moved into a new house with a big veg plot - oh deep joy. In return for help we will divide the produce. Can't wait....
    That is a big plot GL - it'll keep you busy!

7. Gardening Leaves

It's a big garden, Cosmos! Never enough room to grow all I want to grow, though.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have 2 allotments some 90 x30' each im always looking for willing diggers!
    at the moment im on the lookout for a nice biggish greengouse!

9. oldsomeman

Thats the problem i dont like digging lol
    i try to practice that but you do have to dig sometimes lol

10. Gardening Leaves

Just eaten the first, forced rhubarb of the year in a crumble. Yum...

11. oldsomeman

well i managed to get 0ne of my plots rotivated and the other part fone so thats one thing...now to go over them withthe smalle rotovator.
    also bid and got myself 2 greenhuses which i have to collect and reassemble..that should prove an interesting few days lol
    fist sowings of plants gon in but il wait til late rin week for toms to sow.tends to be cold on the plot till late april.
    sigh.im hoping we have good weather.

12. Gardening Leaves

I'm fed up with this weather! I've got a peach tree in flower, huddled in fleece so I don't lose the blossom. Now the pear trees are just about to flower and I've had to huddle them up as well. I want to get my plot ready to rock and roll but it's too cold! It's APRIL ***!!!!!!!!

13. It had better behave - I'm buying new chickens tomorrow and my cloching stuff arrives this week. I WILL be gardening next week!
    My pear tree is giving it good try on the budding front, not sure I wouldn't want the frost to kill them off, the pears may be rare but they are also inedible!

14. Tried digged a new veg bed today. Whoever lived here last seems to have been cultivating rocks.

15. oldsomeman

try explosives for a quick turnover lol
    or us a pick to loosen first lol
    Had a nice day on allotment.got base i so rest can go up soon. Lost fo other buts done including the broad beans .at last. The soil was finally dry enough!
    The wind had abated a bit so a lot warmer to work..one nice day and the daffs have suddenly decided to blossom!

16. Gardening Leaves

Was EBay good for greenhouses, Oldsie? I want a 'new' large one but don't really want to go in for major expenditure at the moment. Presumably you collected/dismantled - or did you?

17. Gardening Leaves

[​IMG]

18. Found a granite block about a foot long! Knackered my fork levering it out. On a brighter note my chilli is finally germinating.

19. oldsomeman

Well it depends what you want..average price for a 8x6 is anywherefrom £60 to £150. This is not bad as it would cost you some £350 or more to buy one new.Yes, you might have to dismantle but sometimes they have already done it for you....myself i like to take apart as I then can mark it and know how it goes together.
    As a hint dont just look in greenhouse section.try also the coldframes....some folk put them in there and often they go for a lower price. If its broken down a 8x6 will go in a car although the glass is heavy.
    I got 2 8x6 greenhouses for £110.they where joined back to back and both had bases on....which is good as those are worth 80 plus pounds! It took me a full day oon my own to take them apart..although having a van i could leave them in larger pieces amdput them n top of the van on the rack!
    However if you do dismantle i woud recommend 2 folk and sockets and spanners as some of the nuts rust on a bit.

20. oldsomeman

or you could get a poly tunnels
    there is one brand new on ebaya for £146
    6mx3x2m
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6m-x-3mx2m-Extra-Wide-Polytunnel-25mm-Diameter-Galvanised-Steel-Frame-Greenhouse-/251254462520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a7feed838
    thisis what i wanted on my allotment but committee would allow me to have one![​IMG]