1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Allotmenteering

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I have a photo of that plant adelady - if you want a copy pm me for an email addy

2. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

To Post 55

3. Anyone ready for this year's allotmenteering?
    Seeds on order, greenhouse cleared just needs a clean - pots too.
    This year I am taking out the raised borders on the veggies patch, extending the beds and going for it.
    That flower bed I have been promising myself will go in too!
    New chickens in March(ish).
    What about you?

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Ordered some wood for raised beds in the vegetable garden. Need to find a greenhouse too. Am trying to charm my way into Mr EGs good books so we can get some chickens. Need to do quite a lot of work in the garden - its so big compared to ones we've had in the past.

5. I am still my planning for this year's garden (it;s my favourite thing).

Going to try things differently this year and not over plan haha. Definitely going for a flower bed, which I haven't done before, my aim is to have cut/fresh flowers in the house from June until Christmas, just hope my garden doesn't drown like it did last year :( I bought some Sea Holly seeds from Eden Project and some craspedia so gonna have a bash at getting that going. Also saved lots of cottage garden type seeds from last year.

I have got some herbs going from seeds already on the windowsill. I am going to grow pots and pots and pots and pots of different chillis. Also got some ornamental edible corn/popcorn as recommended by James Wong website, which I haven't tried before...

I always plant nasturtiums with my tomatoes, but got lots of varieties of nasturtiums this year to use as edible flowers , and grow in their own right not just to trap bugs and nasties like I have done in past. Also more varieties of tomatoes than I usually try.

Also got loads of wildflower type seeds and have made some 'seedbombs' (to brighten up some spaces at work) to just plant anywhere and everywhere at the front of the house to see how it goes- not sure about this!

6. If you haven't found them already Nicky's Nurseries do squillions of different chillies in small packets.
    I must have ordered about 10 different types, toms too [​IMG]

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I think i may need to give my allotment up :( I just dont have the time now that i do not get school holidays and the weather seems to conspire against me most weekends (yes, I am a fair weather gardener). Last year was terribly unproductive as t was so cold and wet that few things grew properly and it is so boggy there right now than no prep at all has been done. Will hang on and see how I feel in March.

8. Thanks Pobble,I have used Nicky's Nurseries before- don't know why I never noticed the chillis. Oh dear I am going to be living off beans on toast (with chillis), If I buy any more seeds! Will get some though!

I am trying very hard this year to use seeds that I have harvested from last year, hope it works, I am a novice really, this is only my 3rd year of planting stuff in the garden, and last year we had a major flood.However, If anyone wants to do a seed swap please send me a private message.

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I need to get on with converting a current prairie bed into a veggie plot. Have a lovely south facing plot for it, in front of a,wall on which are,already growing apples, pears and a peach tree. Terrible fruiting last year, because of the weather. No apples or pears. Plenty of peaches but they all rotted on the tree and had none of their usual lovely perfumed flavour.

I always have seeds, cuttings and plants to swap or pass on.

10. I have got loads of vege and salad seeds if you need any! Would offer dome pelargonium cuttings , had about 10 different scented varieties, but I have somehow managed to kill them all .

11. I have plenty of seeds ready to sow in the Spring but can do very little at the moment as our allotment is so wet. The weeds and couch (?) grass are doing well!

12. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Our garden isn't big enough for a veggie plot and as much as I would love an allotment (my dad had two until he became too ill), I know I don't have the sort of time needed to get the most out of one. Gardening was my dad's greatest hobby, and I remember just how much time and effort he put into it. The fruit and veg though were fantastic!
    But I have decided to find a space for a wigwam of runner beans towards the back of the border and some tomato plants on the patio. Also I'm hoping to make space for a little herb garden, but I might start with just a few in pots in the conservatory first.
    The ironic thing is that OH works as a gardener, but he likes to have flowers at home and really can't be bothered to carry on in the garden when he gets in from work.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im a landscape gardening and yes i can understand your hubbys feelings when he comes home from work,
    You can grow lots of stuff n pots and containers if you try....do a goggle for veg growing in small gardens......you can have some stuff and say 3 toms would supply you with a lot..especially if you chose say 3 varieties.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We have a tiny garden but grow a lot of things in collapsible type tubs and re-usable growbags - including 6 containers of spuds last year, Last summer was good for nothing but slugs though - except for some reason the fig tree also in a container was very fruitful.

15. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Wow, some people are starting very early ! We usually prepare the veggie patch in April and plant out the tomatoes, peppers, aubergines in early May. Courgettes, pumpkins, peas and beans are sown around the same time. We fancied doing some different plants this year but not really thought about it yet.............OH is thinking of reducing the area he uses for veggies but we still grow a lot ( 26 tomato plants last year, made lots of pizza/pasta sauces and vats of soup )

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lucky you.i planted some 40 plus toms last year and most where wiped out by the continual rain leading to the mould.
    All my spuds died in the soil and most crops perished( i have 2 x 30'x90' plots.Even the runner beans did babdly for me......no where near the crops i normally get!
    Even now the soil is far to wet to dig or eeven walk upon,
    I have lots lined up but trying out some new varieties in beans and toms and root crops.....not sure if i am going to be bothered with spuds though.
    Need to get into my green house and start sowing soon.

17. To hasten the decomposition of leaves, you can layer them in the leaf cage with fresh grass clippings, or, even easier, just mix them together.

18. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Leaves take much longer to rot down than 'normal' compost. I keep mine separately in a big wire cage and use it to mulch my precious plants like trilliums. As cosmos says, you can also store leaves in black sacks which you stab holes in.

To make good compost you need a good mixture of 'green' material like grass clippings, plant material and kitchen waste and 'brown' - twigs, shredded paper, cardboard. It needs turning regularly to get the air I.to it.

I'm not using peat any more. Finally giving it up and going for peat-free compost. Sue Beezeley who runs Bluebell Nursery in Cheshire runs a successful prize winning nursery without peat so I reckon I can if she can.

19. I have the best composter ever....the Green Johanna. It is brilliant and makes compost much faster thn a conventional 'dalek'. AND, the best thing is that you can add meat, bones and cooked foods and they all rot down. Even less to throw away.
    Some councils offer them at vastly discounted rates - see if yours does.
    it does require slightly more careful management but I can get useable compost, in the warmer months, in as little as 8 weeks.
    PS...I don't work for them - I wish I did!