1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Allotmenteering

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Sounds wonderful CQ. I am so jealous of all those that have gardens larger than a hankie.
    I have been trying to get a community garden set up here but without at least 10 interested gardeners in my neighbourhood the council won't release the land. And, it has to be said, most people around me are completely apathetic and appear allergic to vegetables - not to mention the potential vandalism.... ah well, back to very small scale growing

2. I only have a 4 square metre balcony - it is amazing what you can grow in a small space.

3. Oh I know but having a garden that measures 10'x 12' that still has to accommodate a washing line, table and chairs and a dog, tends to reduce the growing space. Boo hoo. I am just so glad that I can grow as much as I do.
    Oh and THE SHED. apparently we can't do without the shed - and 3 compost bins......

4. carrots (growing them in bags allows me to place them up too hgh for carrot fly to get to them
    Well done! Not too many people know that carrot fly are programmed to fly only 18" above the ground and that by placing them out of reach they poke off and look for someone else's carrots. Not confident in the garden indeed! Do go for the raised beds if only for your back's sake.

5. At the risk of revealing my ignorance; how do you grow potatoes in bags. I've heard of growing potatoes in stacks of car tyres but the bags is a new one and sounds interesting.

6. 3 compost bins? For what? Or are you trying to set up a raised garden bed.
    Still, if you have fences and walls of a shed that should give you growupping space. Plenty of peas, beans, cucumbers, tomatoes ..... and you'd be better off growing butternuts up a wall than trying to fit in zucchinis or button squash on the ground. They take a fair chunk out of a square metre.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Thank you - although it isn't my first season...I've grown veg ever since I arrived in the UK as well as in Greece and Egypt. I'm just so happy that I will have a big enough space to do what I want without having to restrict myself - its going to be a big job because the garden is very overgrown but I can't wait to get stuck in!

8. Adelaide? Several large veg and vine growing areas - mostly under suburbs now. One amazing thing I discovered because of the Qland floods. That Lockyer Valley area below Toowoomba (where all those people were washed away) is one of the ten most fertile farming areas in the world.
    Adelaide is basically a Mediterranean paradise. We can grow apricots, peaches, nectarines, almonds, walnuts, olives, grapes, figs, lemons, mandarins (clementines) pistachios, kiwifruit, blackberries, boysenberries with no trouble at all. With enough water and a bit of wisdom we can also grow avocados, oranges, grapefruit, passionfruit, pawpaw, mango, apples, pears, blueberries, raspberries (cherries only in the hills). You can grow bananas if you take a lot of care and are prepared to wait a long time for fruit. I've never known anyone grow hazelnuts.
    The only things that don't grow easily or well here are tropical veg like sweet potato and such that need warm soil for a very long period - which we can't offer in any but a few years - and those years are likely to be too dry anyway. Same thing goes for pecans and other fruiting trees which need far too much moisture for this climate.
    I can't think of any non-tropical veg that we can't grow here. (Forgetting water restrictions for the moment.)
    (One great advantage about Adelaide is no fruit fly. There are stringent quarantine rules about bringing fruit into SA and within SA there's a ban on taking fruit into the Riverland fruit growing area along the Murray. It does mean that we don't have to go through all that baiting and control malarkey they have in other states. Of course, if there's an outbreak in your neighbour's yard, every tomato, single piece of fruit or other possible hideyhole for the rotten things is stripped.)
    She thought your food prices or our food prices were too high? I'm sometimes shocked at the prices in Sydney though I've not been there for a while.

9. How could I forget plums. Beautiful, juicy, blood plums warm from the tree - and buckets of the blighters turned into black fingernails and glowing bottles of preserves in the pantry. Probably forgot cos our darling tree expired a couple of years ago during the drought plus watering restrictions.

10. We can grow plums really well here in Germany too (no idea about the UK!).
    I just hate the bleddy wasps involved.

11. Sorry cosmos, I tend to think of our monster compost bins as the standard.
    Our 4 are the 220L ones (about 58 gallons in old money). Three of them would take up more than 2 sqm of your tiny garden.

12. Wasps!!
    I'd never heard of the rotten things until a few years ago. Never seen one in my own yard yet.
    But several people around here have had to get the council (or their nominated pest exterminators) to come in and destroy nests. We're not supposed to try it ourselves.

13. Here neither, if you have a nest (I did one year - and I have such a wasp phobia since being a wee kid - give me bees anyday).
    They are evil beasts.

14. Compost bins, I was wrong. Ours are the 356L (78 gallon) ones.

15. No. We think of ourselves as downunder.
    I once bought a map - in Canberra - with Antarctica on top. Very strange. We'd been teaching the kids a little astronomy and saying that "It didn't matter" where you are on the surface of the planet for doing whatever it was.
    But looking at the map was really, really odd. Adelaide on top of the mainland, the whole shape of Oz looked 'wrong'. and It was really, really hard to identify places like italy and others which are quite distinctive.

16. Geraniums. I remember being in Port Arthur and a friend and I were checking out some garden stuff. Saw this big red-flowering shrub beside an officer's house (I think). Went closer.
    It was just an 'ordinary' red geranium. Whose top flowers were level with the roofline. The whole thing must have covered about 15+ sqm. Huuuge!
    Herbs in Canberra. They tell us this La Nina could last beyond March, so you might get a fair bit more rain. I'd not spend a fortune on fancy varieties of lavender, but basil and parsley should do OK. Oregano, marjoram and thyme? I'd give them a go. Rosemary and sage?
    Maybe put them all into pots until you're surer they'll not be drowned.

17. Unfortunately, I'm a pot gardener as I'm renting. The thing that has really surprised be is I've lost a heap of mints. Which makes me wonder, if it wasn't a too much water issue. I've lost 1 or my 3 sages. The thymes are gone (I had three) as are the basils (I had a heap of them). My curry plant is looking unhealthy. The bay tree and the parsly are ok. My chives are doing brillantly. So I'm quite confused as to what the issue is. Anyway, due to holiday boredom I have repopulated and have included more veg in the hope of reducing my vegie bill in the next few months. I was highly unimpressed when the snails devored my new coriander plants overnight.
    I must look out for the alternative map though the thought of Hobart being at the top of the planet is distrubing.

Speaking of large plants in Orkney I was shocked a fushias being used as climbers and completely covering large walls. I guess it shows what plants can do given the right conditions and opportunity.

18. How do you kill off mint? And could you come up/down here and kill mine please??
    Sage in a pot needs feeding evry other month, it can be quite hungry as it is slow to establish itself.
    Thyme only needs watering when it is really dry so you could be rigth about the water.
    Basil only lasts until it flowers, it is an annual so it will disappear, but it too dislikes being over watered. I'm guessing it had plenty of sun!!!
    I lost a curry plant last year but the remaining one is going great guns, luck of the draw perhaps?? But they do like well draining soil, could you add grit??
    Chives and parsley are perennials, so they should have come through the winter and will stand being overwatered, they don't like it too dry!
    And I've given up on coriander - it just doesn't grow leafy enough to be bothered with - no, I will give it another go, I have some seeds left [​IMG]
    Good luck with the veg....

19. Thanks for the tip on the sage it may be lacking in fertiler. It was a purple sage, maybe that had something to do with it. I think I agree with you on corriander but I was seduceduce but the lust potfulls of leaves. Bl**dy snails!
    The common mint is fine. It's the spearmint, pepermint, pineapple mint, choc mint, vietnamense mint who have died. The expensive mints. Or a case of when too many mints are never enough. You can kill mint don't water it when it's hot and dry but that's not the case here.
    I did have a perenial basil as well as the annual who died. Normally Basil lasts until March or early April.

20. Coriander is the one herb that defeats me - never, ever had any success with it. Blinkin Prima Donna of a herb.