1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Allotmenteering

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jan 1, 2011.

1. I've just finished planning so I thought I'd start a new thread for the veggie gardener, I hope you don't mind.
    I have packets of seeds I will never sow again in this garden, so I am organising a seed swap at work! I usually raise more seeds than I use and then swap seedlings too! That and the horties at work often have freebies or at least cheapies, I might see if they are amenable!

I have lost a bed to the chickens, so I must be more space efficient and think about intercropping and overwintering - which I think I have got worked out, something I never thought I would get the hang of!

I have planned to grow these this year, I've had some success with all except the brassicas and I am ready for them this year:
    Bed 1: Cabbage, cauli, kohl rabi, radish and turnip
    Bed 2: Parsnips, celeriac, chicory, beetroot, chard with beetroot and lettuce intercrops (I think)
    Bed 3: runner beans, peas and overwitering kale, leeks and cabbage, with more catchcropping.
    Greenhouse: tomatoes, chillies, another attempt at aubergines.

I also hope I still have raspberries, gooseberries and blueberries in tubs plus an inedible pear tree and 2 apple trees!

So January tasks: clean and clear greenhouse and all tools: Jeyes etc; order new seeds ready for 1st seeds in Feb!
    Actually, now I read that it sounds very, very scary! Maybe I have planned to bite off more than I can chew! Especially as I am planning new flower beds with perennial herbs too!
    How about you other growers?

2. What a busy pobble you are going to be!
    Don't forget the importance of soil improvement, though I'm sure you won't!
    Tiny, tiny garden here so can only grow in containers - beans, tomatoes and lettuces feature highly on my list as well as pink fir apple potatoes which I grow in old compost bags.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I am thinking about sitting down with my seed tin this weekend and planning the beds. We are a bit behind in that we haven't spread any muck yet so OH is meant to be sourcing some this week and then i wil have to do the hard work and spread it around. Need to build a new fruit cage around strawbs and rasps as it has collapsed completely. Otherwise just a lot of clearing and tidying to be done before march/April really and get babies growing in my mini greenhouse in a month or two. I am on a smaller scale to your impressive sounding efforts.

4. Just a thoiught... why is there no gardening thread here? Are people just not interested?
    It could be so useful to swap ideas and tips

5. Don't worry about getting all the muck spread just yet, the ground is still very cold and you will make it harder for the soil to warm up in the spring - you will also find the worms that move the manure through the soil are far underground at the moment, retreating from the frozen ground so no good at the moment. Far better to leave it until spring.

6. I think that as most of the growers also cook it hasn't been much of a problem, so far! But yiu never know [​IMG]

7. I too missed the muck spreading window - chickens arrived and we lost the plot - literally!
    I shall be improving and feeding in spring. If I get the timings right I can do both whilst the seeds are germinating in the greenhouse and still have time to let the beds go stale!
    Just a note though. I know my list sounds good - but somehow I don't think it will all work out. It hasn't done so far [​IMG]
    I set out more in hope than certainty, as some literate bod must have said!

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I will be reading this thread with interest but also getting thoroughly depressed by it. I have been on the waiting list for 3 years for an allotment here (I live in a flat). December I get a phonecall to say I can have one... and I turned it down :( I am planning to move over an hour away to live with OH in the summer so there is no point starting one now - gutted though as I really really want to garden etc. *sigh* - guess I'll have to wait a few more years.

9. Absolutely! You can grow so much in a small space.

10. You can indeed - and it is quite fun. Mind you, I do start to sigh and wish I had room to grow things like pumpkins [​IMG]
    I am determined to be organised this year and actually take some photos!

11. Have you tried mini squash instead of pumpkins, CQ? Patty Pan squash and similar are great for soups and roasting!
    You could grow them up/down a wall.....

12. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

My plans are quite un-ambitious, but I'm looking forward nonetheless. I want to buy a couple of cold frames and grow bags, and grow some tomatoe. Not from seeds though - my dad will give me some little plants when they're ready. I also want to get some canes and build some runner bean supports. I've never done this before, but my parents to, and they look and taste great. On my patio I want to grow some stawberries in a pot, and I'd love a hanging basket.
    My garden is only small - 20 foot by 15 foot or so - but it gets about 10 hours of sunlight a day in Summer, and I want it to look beautiful this year.
    Any suggestions are most welcome!

13. Prof D,
    I recommend nasturtiums. They don't need good soil, they don't need room in a bed- will just sprawl everywhere. Gorgeous foliage and dazzling orange edible flowers for your summer salads. Also they seem to attract pests such as blackfly away from your veg crops. Sqeeze a few seeds into your hanging baskets!

14. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Thanks for the advice, Ladymarm. I didn't know the flowers were edible! As I want loads of colours in my garden I will definitely whack a few in there!

15. No - but what a good idea! I do have a wall that I could try that with.
    Prof D - I grow nasturtiums every year - I just pop a few seeds in amongst my veg and they grow and grow and grow...lovely bright colours too. I have a hanging basket of hanging toms mixed up with marigolds too.
    As I am totally strapped for space, all my flowers and veg are mixed up together [​IMG]
    However, despite the minimal space, I am definitely growing potatoes again this year (in bin bags) - I really missed not having them last year.

16. Prof - I too have a very small garden but manage to grow huge numbers of tomatoes - all in containers (beter than growbags). I also do underplanting - basil in the same pots for example and lettuces tucked in wherever there is a space. Beans, again in pots, are easy to grow. I haven't tried the mini squashes before but will this year. Potatoes in bags take up very little space. It can be more of a challenge growing in small spaces but huge fun.

17. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

We were talking last weekend about starting to get the garden ready for this year's planting. At the moment, we only have parsnips and strawberries in ( apart from perennial herbs, but last year's parsley has sported lots of new growth...)
    Will definitely grow tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, courgettes, beans all in large quantities but looking to vary the varieties more than last year. I'd like more fruit, too: we grew strawberries and melons last year and I'd like to try other stuff.
    We've done lots of summer and early autumn crops, we need to have more winter ones but were too late to plant cabbages etc, must get better organised.

18. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I forgot lettuces, great success! Grew 40+ and ate the lot !

19. We've been a bit lazy this year. Just let the asparagus do its thing and one huuuuge tomato plant that MrA nursed through the winter.
    We're off to the nursery tomorrow though for seedlings (a bit late to raise seeds). With the floods in Queensland, prices of fresh fruit and veg are set to go up about 40% on current estimates.
    And we have an enormous back garden so there's really no excuse for not doing it anyway.

20. I always have some "cut and come again" salad on the go during Summer.
    Plus baby carrots (well, I pull em out when they are small!)
    Beetroot
    Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Chillis (died and withered to nothing last year)
    Spinach
    Herbs (of course)
    Radishes (planted with the carrots)
    a tub of garlic (although I really need more room for that)
    spring onions
    Buschbohnen - hmmm, what are they? They are the beans that grow on..bushes with the lovely red blossoms.
    And usually my potatoes in bin bags (but didn't have any last year).
    All interspersed with flowers.
    Strawberries
    I would really like to try some more fruit - I may try one of those mini apple trees.