1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2011/2012 NQT checklist

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Jul 20, 2011.

1. I am super excited about starting my NQT year in september after a 'year' on supply. As I have hardly had any supply work I feel quite out of the loop which is making me overthink everything.
    I've decided to create a checklist of things I have/am going to prepare. Please feel free to add your own comments/advice. As I am a secondary NQT some things will not be relevant to primary NQTs but it doesn't really matter.

- Buy stationary and something to store it in - box?
    - Buy boxes/baskets to store each classes books in (easy to carry/take home/keep together)
    - Buy lots and lots of folders
    - Label folders - NQT, KS3, KS4, KS5, BTEC etc
    - Make a cover folder for when absent/on course (after doing supply I appreciate how important this would be and how helpful for supply teachers)
    - Make sure printer is working and buy lots of spare inks
    - Make sets of traffic light cards (afl)
    - Buy a big egg timer for time limited activities
    - Sort out all resources (paper based and on computer)
    - Find CEPD from PGCE and file in NQT folder
    - Print the core standards for NQT
    - Make/think about seating plans or desk arrangement
    - Make/think about student tracking documents
    - Buy teachers planner (school may give)
    - Buy stickers/stamps
    - Buy thermos mug for the commute/use in classroom
    - Buy a cork board/white board for at home (make notes, write important memos etc)
    - Buy white board pens (as they always disappear!)
    This is all I can think of for now but I'm sure I'll be adding things very soon! Hope this helps, don't forget to add your own!

2. I am super excited about starting my NQT year in september after a 'year' on supply. As I have hardly had any supply work I feel quite out of the loop which is making me overthink everything.
    I've decided to create a checklist of things I have/am going to prepare. Please feel free to add your own comments/advice. As I am a secondary NQT some things will not be relevant to primary NQTs but it doesn't really matter.

- Buy stationary and something to store it in - box?
    - Buy boxes/baskets to store each classes books in (easy to carry/take home/keep together)
    - Buy lots and lots of folders
    - Label folders - NQT, KS3, KS4, KS5, BTEC etc
    - Make a cover folder for when absent/on course (after doing supply I appreciate how important this would be and how helpful for supply teachers)
    - Make sure printer is working and buy lots of spare inks
    - Make sets of traffic light cards (afl)
    - Buy a big egg timer for time limited activities
    - Sort out all resources (paper based and on computer)
    - Find CEPD from PGCE and file in NQT folder
    - Print the core standards for NQT
    - Make/think about seating plans or desk arrangement
    - Make/think about student tracking documents
    - Buy teachers planner (school may give)
    - Buy stickers/stamps
    - Buy thermos mug for the commute/use in classroom
    - Buy a cork board/white board for at home (make notes, write important memos etc)
    - Buy white board pens (as they always disappear!)
    This is all I can think of for now but I'm sure I'll be adding things very soon! Hope this helps, don't forget to add your own!

3. dalemhunter

dalemhunter New commenter

Brilliant suggestions thank you [​IMG]
    decided i'm going to put names onto individual whiteboard pens and pencils for next year, I've got a year 5 class who don't take too much responsibility for the resources around them so hopefully this will liven them up!!

4. what a lovely idea for a thread! //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- buy label maker

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    -create labels with level criteria on. when you mark a piece of work highlight level description achieved, next lesson pupils create their own targets from level above one achieved

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    - using your timetable, try to work out a "rota" add meetings etc to it and mark books in a rota- every mon year 7, tues, year 8 etc.
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Keep them coming! :)

Soxy

5. - buy/sort out usb pens or portable hard drive
    - back-up all documents (using software or spare hard-drive)
    - get sync software - helps with the above (microsoft synctoy is great and free)
    - download/bookmark useful you-tube videos
    - buy small lockable cash-box (to keep painkillers/medicines - for own use (I get a LOT of headaches!) this way they are hidden from the children)

6. I'm secondary so some things might be diff to primary.....
    1. Buy a laminator and a mini guillotine - approx £20 each (mine have paid for themselves ten times over already!) for making own re-usable resources.
    2. Get sturdy plastic boxes to keep each class' books in - especially useful if you teach in different classrooms.
    3. Stock up on gluesticks, sticky labels, staples and post-it notes. Ensure these are well-hidden from colleagues!
    4. get a filing system that suits YOU. I have a stacking set of 6 trays on my desk, one for each year group I teach and I'll be getting folders for each class to record pupils information.
    5. Set up your school email so you have separate folders for various types of messages. Save pretty much everything as you never know when it'll come back to bite you if you bin it!
    6. Trawl teaching sites & nab as much info, lesson plans, powerpoints etc on the topics you'll be teaching as you can. That gives you plenty of scope to customise lessons without breaking your back reinventing the wheel.
    7. If your school has a learning platform and you have access to update it, consider uploading specifications, long-term plans, classroom rules etc onto it & refer your classes to it from the outset. The more familair they are with routinely using the technology the less classroom time you have to spend going over these things.
    8. Buy a couple of boxes of tissues ready for the influx of germs come September. Also, have a bottle of nail-varnish remover & pads, and make-up remover. Take extreme pleasure in detartifying pupils who come to school via Boots' make-up counter.

7. I must remember to write some of these down from each of you as they're good ideas! I don't know what year group I have yet but things like labelling pens and so on would have saved so much time for some of my supply classes - one school in fact keeps each child's stationery together in a clear plastic pencil case with a pen, pencil, marker, rubber, sharpener, mini ruler and scissors. At the end of the year they get to keep everything but the case and scissors. Helps to see who isn't being careful with their things!

8. I'm an NQT (Secondary English)
    I'll also be sorting out:
    - A desk tidy
    - An 'incidents' book (should things go awry - I've heard it's useful to have back-up notes etc.)
    - A proper dictionary (for reference)
    - Some cheap posters from somewhere, highlighting the merits of English.
    And other bits and bobs. Thanks for the hints [​IMG]

9. Some great ideas, I am going to steal most. I went in to my HoD classroom (she is very house proud) and I basically based my room on that. She has key words, level descriptors etc. so I will just copy that for my subject and make it very personal.

10. I would add to Rowntreegirl's post a warning note. I purchased a 1 min timer and a 5 min timer for my NQT year as I used them so much in my GTP year only to find that in my second school during my NQT year someone nicked it. No idea whether this was a child or another teacher. Also be careful where you leave stickers - one of the people who did my PPA/NQT time this year used to help themselves, now I didn't mind for my class but she would take a sheet at a time for her booster groups - not good when these had come out of my hard earned cash.
    Most schools will give you a diary (although as I am changing schools I got one from Poundland) and they will have their own planning format so you may find a planner is a waste of money.
    Also print as much out as you can in school - you shouldn;t be paying out for printing at home. I know we all do it but I got wise to that one very quickly as it was costing me a fortune.
    I am a little miffed going in to my second year that I have got to shell out for storage boxes to put books in as nothing, and I mean nothing, has been left in my classroom. Also i refuse to buy whiteboard pens out of my own money. I always end up buying some bits but in no other industry would we think it acceptable to buy this much stuff out of our own pockets!!!!

11. I would agree with Bobby_Carrot that we shouldn't have to buy resources/stuff out of our own pockets, and I know my non-teacher husband definately agrees! However I need to feel organised and if that means shelling out then I will. The department I was in last year was very strapped for cash and the more experienced teachers did without a lot of the stuff I wanted i.e boxes for class books, egg timers, marking pens, sugar paper, felt tip pens etc - so I therefore didn't feel I could make a fuss about getting them. The only concession I got was they ordered some mini whiteboards, but then we had 1 class set between 6 teachers!

12. I'm a primary NQT (year 1) and feeling pretty overwhelmed as I haven't been able to get in to my classroom yet to start preparing.

So far things I've thought about:
    name labels for trays and pegs
    decide on group names for table groups and a seating plan (ask previous teacher for advice on this).
    have bought a few cheap spare PE bits for a spares box.
    have bought 30 cheap plastic tumblers and a bottle of squash for the cupboard.
    sorted out loads of post it notes and stationery I already had (staplers etc).
    I've sorted out 30 named record cards for reading and put them in a little box.
    Laminated the different sounds we'll be using (I just used an online freebie site to print them off)
    Made labels for different areas of classroom (again used online freebie site)
    Laminated the alphabet and numbers 1-20
    Bought cheap folders- behaviour folder, APP etc.

Not really sure what else I can do yet? I didn't expect to feel so nervous and confused about everything.

13. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I'm going to second what some people have already said - don't buy lots of things before you start!
    I did my NQT last year and pretty much everything that people have mentioned I have been given by the school. Some other things are just not necessary e.g. laminator - I bought one on PGCE and used it. Now it sits in a cupboaard as the reprographics department in school do all of that. There is absolutely no need for you to buy a laminator and guillotine so I would advise you to not waste your money.
    Same applies to printer and ink - I don't even own a printer and just get everything printed off in school. This has hindered me maybe twice in the whole year.
    Egg timers etc ... I use online stopwatches on the IWB. You can change format and sound and kids especially love the bomb going off at the end.
    Boxes for books - check what you already have in your classroom
    Planner - I would be very shocked if you weren't given one on your first day.
    Some of the things that are specific to my school and may be to yours - can't use a mug in classroom, must use a reusable bottle (ridiculous I know!) and we get given tracking stickers to put on exercise books everytime we do level tracking.

I would like to add enjoy your summer hols as it's a busy year next year. I have loved almost every minute of it but it can be a lot of work. Having said that I am so bored now it's the holidays.

14. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Thirding what Helena said!

If you feel you need to get lots of resources for your classroom, wait a bit. Just get the bare minimum you need, and then see how much you can actually order from the school's supplier (with their money!), and whether it's possible to buy classroom resources yourself and submit the receipts to be reimbursed.

I actually arrived in my NQT year having planned my lessons for the first month or so, but not actually bought anything special for my classroom or for me to use in school. I used the school's equipment, made do with last year's displays and things on the walls, and built things up/changed things as I went along. Didn't seem to affect the kids at all...

15. Great idea - I was thinking along the lines of having cups, but this seems much more practical!
    I've decided that I won't be forking out on lots of stationery (particularly white board pens). Hopefully the equipment will come flooding my way on the INSET days!

16. For anyone starting in primary - take in an adult dictionary the classroom ones for the children to use never have the word that you want in!
    I would echo not buying too much but equally things like stickers, stamps and nice marking pens can make all the difference to your moral and many schools won't pay for them - although they will provide basics. However I wouldn't buy basics like folders and storage boxes these should be provided.
    I always used to forget peg labels!
    Pick up any special offers on your favourite snacks that can be hidden in your cupboard - especially chocolate treats - for use after stressful lessons or when you are so tired you've forgotten to organise lunch and a bar of chocolate seems a reasonable alternative!
    Wear your new school shoes in before the first day!

• Start seating plans (if you've got class lists!) I do alphabetical boy/girl at first then usually by half term will change it as I know the pupils but this means I learn names quickly and can have the plan on the board for pupils first lessons
    • The thing I'm going to do this year (was nqt last yr) is plan a marking rota. So many times last year I ended up with y9 and y7 assessments in at the same week etc, so I'm going to plan my marking better
    • Last yr I did my room in terms of changed the seating slightly, from 2s to 4s - put backing paper up; a big sign saying 'Miss Williamson welcomes you to Room 12' and then obviously created the displays as term continued
    • Plan a few fun ice-breakers for the first week, and come up with some 'back up' ideas as the one thing I wasn't prepared for was how the timetable could change at an instant! (because of a liturgy, assembly, event etc!)
    Good luck, I found my NQT really hard. much tougher than PGCE but having your own classes, classroom and freedom is brilliant!

17. Any advice on doing a boy/girl seating plan with the majority of one sex over the other? I have 2 classes that are either boy-heavy or girl-heavy.

18. Seat girl-girl, boy-boy if you can - gives them one person of the same sex next to them and one of other sex.
    Group by ability if you can - weakest at the front.
    One idea which I tried out this year was seating a class alphabetically <u>by first name</u>. Helped me learn the names more easily and meant that the kids with surnames starting with W etc were not always at the back.
    Also.... I have to say I was always guilty of buying my own stuff... one thing I would say has been useful is getting personalised stampers (you can get them from primaryteaching.co.uk or superstickers.co.uk) saying things like 'homework not done' - easy to stamp planners rather than write the same thing again and again.
    Good luck to you all!
    (I've been teaching 13 years so not an NQT!)