1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2010/11 teachers' pay scales

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by trappioni, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I gained QTS in summer 2009 and started my first teaching post (secondary Maths) in September 2009 . To my surprise I was appointed on M3 rather than M1 as the school seemed keen to attract me (they had quite a few Maths vacancies) and they also took account of my 20 years' business experience.
    Then in September 2010 I completed my NQT year and progressed to M4.
    I am now seeking a new teaching post from September 2011 but I am unsure whether I should expect to automatically start on the next scale point M5 in September or whether schools would start me on what really is the appropriate point (M3 from September) for someone with my limited experience.
    I am also wondering whether I would be pricing myself out of the jobs market by asking for a job at M4/M5.
    Please can someone advise me?
    Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not a case of you 'asking' for M5 - it's what any state school appointing you must pay you from September.

3. You will be on M5 in september so that is the scale a new school should pay you at. I doubt you'll be pricing yourself out of the market (unless your exam results are shocking or something), you're a secondary maths teacher, a rare breed indeed! I am in the same situation in some ways, I was appointed on M3 (also a shortage subject) and have just gone through threshold with 4 years experience under my belt. I have been interviewed for a number of promoted posts but I haven't applied for any mainscale posts so I'm not sure if I'm priced out of the market or not.

4. Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]