1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2009 SAT's - Short writing task...which book to use?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skippers11, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hello all,

This is my second year of SAT's with my year two class and as with last year, I am already dreading them!

I wondered if anybody had any good advice and ideas about any particularly good characters for the short writing task - character description, and how they went about doing this.

Last year my children didn't do so well in this part of the writing task, despite writing about Miss Trunchbull, who I thought was a good character to write about!

So, if anybody has used a character that worked particularly well, or carried out the task in a certain way to make it more interesting, then I would be very interested to hear about it.

I look forward to your suggestions :)

2. Characters we have succesfully used are the Grufallo, the Mouse from the Grufallo, The Rainbow Fish, the Selfish Crocodile.
    Bear in mind though that they don't have to produce a huge amount for the short writing task....have a look at the examples in the mark book.

3. Mr Twit is always a good one.

4. We use the Lighthouse Keeper series of books as the kids love them and we get them to write about Hamish the cat or Mr Grinling depending on how we feel for that year.