1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2008 SATS Marking

Discussion in 'English' started by sophie_123, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I am thoroughly p***ed off with ETS. I had to chase them up about my contract, now I am having to do the same with the training meeting. I've phoned twice in the last 3 weeks, and both times have been told the letter should be in the post (it isn't and it wasn't). I have to make travel and hotel arrangements but can't do this until I know. My colleague who is a team leader has training on Saturday in two different locations at the same time! Nobody replies to my emails and I just want to tell them to stuff their marking this year (but I can't afford to). I've been marking every year since it started & this is a real mess. One senior marker has resigned due to the fact that they will be having to stay in contact with everyone online for most days over the half term. Bring back Edexcel!

2. delenn

delenn New commenter

Dinosaur what are you TL for? reading or writing?

3. I don't bloody believe it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have just had ETS on the phone (finally) and they tell me my training will be in London. I live in Sunderland for Christ's sake! Why can't we have a closer one, Edexel managed it and they were pretty shoddy at times? I may ahve to decline the invitation to mark as a result.

4. vshell

vshell New commenter

Ive heard nothing about training day! one phone call about 5 weeks ago asking me if I knew anyone who would be interested in marking and that it is it. Apart from my contract that I got in Feb.

V

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Train service is very good :-(

Used to teach in NE till a couple of years ago - including Sunderland. Long term supply - 3, no, 4 Sunderland schools over a period of time.

Now I'm futher south, they'll probably send me back to Gosforth or somewhere.

6. Apparently Maths and Science have more than 1 venue but all of the English are taking place together.

God it will mean organising a hotel and every thing! I liked just turning up somewhere in Newcastle and knowing i could drive if needed and be home by 6 at the latest.
    Well if anybody else from up here has to travel down and wants a buddy let me know I truely hate travelling on my own!

7. gruoch

gembob - are you a marker or TL? I ask as, if I ever get a contract (lady from 'help' desk this a.m. kindly informed me that I have been approved to mark. So, that's alright, then), I need to know whether I need to get to the metropolis in good time. It's actually harder from here than there - if you see what I mean.........

8. I am a marker and a lovely lady rang and confirmed that I don't have a training pack or a letter with deatils as to venue. She then said she would send one so I could sort trains etc and through my splutters she treid to explain why I could only go to a meeting in London.

9. gruoch

****! Do you know where? - that's probably a really stupid question.

10. gruoch

Oooh! I got asterisked for writing the faeces word ;-(

11. No she wasn't that specific I am afraid and the more I questioned her the more confused she seemed to get! She just told me to read the info when I get it and make arrangements from there.

Possibly the least helpful helpline ever!

12. gruoch

I knew it was a stupid question.

13. To be honest if I'd had my wits about me I'd have made her try harder to find out but I was just really shocked at the news. I have marked for 3yrs now and it never occured to me that the training would take place anywhere but up here somewhere, you know even North Yorkshire I could cope with. It is just the thought of a trip to London and then back to school on the Monday does not appeal to me.

14. delenn

delenn New commenter

Are you on about the 10th May meeting gembob?When I asked the one who calle dme they couldn't tell me where the 10th may meeting was. If I have to go back to London...

15. Yep 10th of May meeting, I am hoping that she was just totally wrong. I came on here asap to see if anybody else had heard anything but obviously not!

16. delenn

delenn New commenter

I got a phone call yesterday but that was with regards to the TL meeting, at least i assumed it was- i might have got the wrong end of the stick or they might have. Hopefully I'll find out the details at the TL meeting. If they do not hold regional meetings then they will lose a lot of markers. Also won't it be more expensive for them?

17. I am hopong it is them that got the wrong end of the stick! I really do. I will wait until Friday and see if this pack turns up and take it from there i guess unless anybody on here can enlighten me before then which will save a fortune in phone calls!

18. delenn

delenn New commenter

Don't bother phoning the helpline- it's useless. Who was you TL last year? Maybe they'll know more. I found stuff out by emailing a SL. Wait until after the weekend because I may be able to give you some info- I might be none the wiser mind!

19. That would be fab delenn and at least if you're none the wiser i will not be alone in my ignorance ;-)

20. delenn

delenn New commenter

True- if ignorance is bliss then with regards to ETS I should be as high as a kite! :()