1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2008 SATS Marking

Discussion in 'English' started by sophie_123, Feb 17, 2008.

1. cazz, I'm a fulltime teacher and I manage the KS3 English ok. Ha@ukred and the twitch! :)

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Nuvver phone call from a lovely recent graduate (English) tonight. 'Have you managed to read your contract?'

They sent it to a dead email address - and I gave them the right one at least three weeks ago!

We got talking about Shakespeare, Miller, Wesker and Tennessee Williams. He had to drag himself away. Has promised to send me his synoptic (AQAB) paper if he can find it as he got 100%. Apparently it's on his CV - and quite right, too :)

But I still need a contract :-(

3. Thanks mrs fl. I will give it a go.

4. Eek - I applied a couple of weeks ago thinking it would be for next year. Now they've rung me to say they want me for this year!

Also not impressed with organisation - they've phoned twice to ask why I haven't sent back the contract. But I haven't received it.

Argh!

5. satnav

satnav New commenter

I've still not been sent details about training but I did read on the ETS website that we will not get training material until we arrive at training venue surely this is asking for trouble. In the past we have received the materials a couple of weeks before so we can get to grips with the markscheme and the set scenes.

6. gruoch

3 phone calls from ETS and STILL no contract.

Grrr

7. SATNAV - no early marking scheme means no cheating. For the first time in living memory those people who teach in school and mark sats won't have an advantage over the rest of us.
    Wonder if the percentages will go down???

8. fish123

fish123 New commenter

Spoke to senior team leader and have received lots of emails saying we must take the materials ,unopened, in the box to the meeting for team leaders next Saturday . Still no venue announced for the main standardisation meeting on the 10th???

9. I'm still not sure of which city I will need to go to for training! Don't know about time to get there etc or if I will need to stay over!
    Do they pay for you to stay over the night before or the night of the training? (if you need to travel far)

10. Only if you're so far away that you'd have to start really early. The KS3 meetings are usually 'relatively' local - at least they were with the last lot (SOoo glad I'm not marking these this year!!)

11. delenn

delenn New commenter

i was told that the info I needed for the TL meeting like venue etc would be in the parcel I received on Saturday so I opened it straight away and read through the handbooks etc thinking the info I needed would be in but no - no details of the meeting so emailed a SL and found out. I then received an email saying not to open the materials. It has to get better doesn't it?

12. satnav

satnav New commenter

If it's any thing like the pilot it probably won't improve until about August!

When I did the Single Level Testing Pilot in December for NAA trying to get to grips with unseen mark scheme in 5 or 6 hours proved almost impossible with only about 20% of markers getting acceptable standardisation scores at the first attempt. And that was only a level 4 paper without any Shakespeare.

13. taj

taj

14. I just had an email from them about accommodation for team leaders (am not one!) with a sentence at the start telling me to ignore the email - love it!

15. delenn

delenn New commenter

I finally got a telephone call from ETS to check I knew where I was going on Saturday. It was a very nice young person but I did point out that the helpline people were very unhelpful and that the phone call is a week to late!

16. gruoch

Helpline closes at 6. They don't answer emails.

I am VERY p**sed off!

17. Re this online admin module - have we been informed that it is there? Have we been told what to do with it?
    I have had no info whatsoever re training or anything. Has anyone?

18. gruoch

Have you had a contract, celtica?

19. Yes I have, gruoch - I know - I am one of the lucky ones!

20. gruoch

That sound you hear is me exploding in all directions.