1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2008 SATS Marking

Discussion in 'English' started by sophie_123, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I?ve just received a letter from NAA informing me I am now
    not eligible for marking in the 2009 cycle! I was really quite surprised, as I
    did not to my knowledge fail any of the benchmarking, and last year was graded
    an ?A? on marking the same paper.
    Needless
    to say I am also quite annoyed and frustrated that I?m no longer able to mark
    next year as a result. My team leader
    had been quite open about the fact that marking accuracy was going to be a
    problem in the conditions in which many of us were marking.
    I have emailed NAA
    noting these concerns, the inconsistency of my grade last year with this
    year?s, and asking for the decision to be overturned, but I can?t help
    wondering if it?s all a bit of a lost cause really, particularly given the
    fiasco of the whole 2008 cycle. Does
    anyone have any advice or is anyone in a similar position? Do you think it?s
    worth pursuing further assuming I hear back from NAA?

2. DM

DM New commenter

I have no helpful information Linni but you have my sympathy.

3. curlychick

curlychick New commenter

I have had letter too but asking me to be a marker - strange thing is I have marked for 3 years & yet to get a grade!

4. Sympathy appreciated DM! Someone on another thread said the exam boards are completely unrelated to naa so other marking should not be a problem. There's still the issue of an undeserved stain on my professionalism and my ability to mark accurately that annoys me though!

5. All referenced to the NAA are fascinating, considering it was announced on December 18th that it no longer existed in its own right but had been taken over by QCA.

Presumably, QCA is using up the old NAA stationery.

6. linni. so sorry to hear of your probs. it's obviously due to lack of proper records kept by ets, and misleading records engendered by benchmarking system. you should stand your ground and complain to higher authority if poss. then maybe naa will reinstate any others in same position. good luck. to everyone - happy new year. sorry for absence - broke arm and ribs in fall on ice - hence no shift key.

7. just saw this on the science sats/nct forum ha ha

.........................................................................................................

Posted by: birdfancier 19/12/2008 at 16:47
    Joined on 13/07/2006
    Posts 78Report abuse

I doubt if the inquiry would accept anonymous contributions and I can't remember reading any quotes from anonymous people.

Interestingly I emailed ETS in US ( etsinfo@ets.org) asking if they had made any comment on the report and received the response:

ETS handles multiple testing programs ,Could you tell us what the Sutherland Inquiry is .We dont know if its a test because we have nothing list for it or if it`s the name of an candidates for a test. Thanks

This was despite me including the URL to the pdf file of the report in my email !

...........................................................................................................

8. I note today that the ETS website has now been removed from the internet. Over the past months, I have had a bit of nostalgic fun logging on to my marker page from time to time and noting that I am still required to benchmark again which was the situation when I finished (and was paid for) my marking in the debacle we all had last summer. RIP..............

O.C.

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

C'mon, old cheese, get your benchmarking tools out anyway! Gosh! Happy days, eh?
    Here's a very strange thing.
    There are thousands and thousands of words in the Sutherland Report on last year's tests.
    But no mention at all of "SATs"! Not a single one.
    Can anyone think why?

10. delenn

delenn New commenter

Because they never exsisted?

Anyone marking KS2 instead? I have been offered Reserve marker- go to training, mark 50 scripts, take any extra if needed. I have accepted but still not 100% sure if I will do it.

11. Yup, that's what I'm doing. The woman at edescel seemed to think it very likely that I would get more marking as English is unpopular at KS2. I'm not completely sure I'll be up to marking the writing as it's been a long time now since I've marked any, we'll see though.

12. Hi Sophie,
    I've had a similar experience. They eventually phoned on Saturday and spoke to my husband who told them to ring me Sunday, but have never phoned back. I've spent ages trying to find a contact number with no success. I marked KS3 for years but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Hope you hear something soon.
    Rozell Kania