1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2008 SATS Marking

Discussion in 'English' started by sophie_123, Feb 17, 2008.

1. sophie_123

sophie_123 New commenter

I filled in an application form online to become a SATS marker a few months ago and still haven't heard anything from them. I rang them and was first told they didn't have my details, then that they did and were still "in progress." Everything seemed rather hap-hazard, as though they didn't really know what was going on.

I just want to know if anyone else has applied lately and if so, how long I may have to wait for them to contact my references/get in touch with me?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. sophie_123

sophie_123 New commenter

I filled in an application form online to become a SATS marker a few months ago and still haven't heard anything from them. I rang them and was first told they didn't have my details, then that they did and were still "in progress." Everything seemed rather hap-hazard, as though they didn't really know what was going on.

I just want to know if anyone else has applied lately and if so, how long I may have to wait for them to contact my references/get in touch with me?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Your guess is as good as anyone's.

See 'writing pilot' thread.

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You mean "NCTs", sophie, but that isn't the reason you're not getting much satisfaction from ETS. Nobody in the marking business is.

(If you do get a contract, don't expect it to say "SATS" or anything remotely like that on it - that's a bit of slang that they (sensibly) don't use.)

5. I applied just after Christmas and my HOD has only just received a reference request. They don't seem to be in a rush. This, however, is the first time I've applied to mark SATs, so I'm not sure on the regular time scale of the application process.

6. Is it too late for me to apply? x

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  7. markuss

I shouldn't think so!

Vitet, your contract won't have "SATs" on it either - or anything that the letters might stand for.

"SATs" are tests for University entrance.

8. sophie_123

sophie_123 New commenter

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! Who'd have thought the process to be so complicated? Have just had a quick scan-read of the 'Writing Pilot' thread - it suddenly all becomes clear. If I wasn't desparate for the money, I think I'd leave well alone. One of my colleagues at school is a Senior Team Leader for the "NCTs" (I stand corrected!) and when I asked her about applying she whistled and drew in her breath sharply, like a car mechanic. Says it all really!!

9. Markuss, you really, REALLY hate people referring to the NCTs as "SATs", don't you?? I'm quire frightened of the wrath!

10. *quite (of course)

11. I wouldn't touch NCTs with a barge pole! The complaints are many and there is very little reward. I mark GCSE AQA and it has been a very helpful thing to do to inform my teaching. My students have certain things drummed into them such as using paragraphing correctly because it is hard to get above a D if you don't!

The support is excellent and the criteria very helpful in allowing you to assess positively rather than negatively which the NCTs marking seems to be all about.

12. delenn

delenn New commenter

I applied when I finally got on the correct part of the website. I couldn't believe I had to fill in an application form- I've been marking NCTs since 1998 and I've never had to fill in an application form when the employer has changed. Still waiting to hear.

13. I applied for the Reading Paper in November through Making a mark.
    I was told that I would recieve notification by the end of 2007.
    Decided to check in the website yesterday and found out I was 'approved'.
    Left an e-mail and an hour later they called to say the contracts will be posted between now and April.
    No contact though!

14. markuss

I've just checked up on myself on the ETS website.

It says my application is being processed and I shall hear before the end of this calendar year!

15. sophie_123

sophie_123 New commenter

Thanks, I've just checked myself and it says "processing" so I'll just have to wait it out!

16. Hi

How do I check up on the ETS website to see if I have been approved? I applied through the NAA and got an email acknowledging my application, but have heard nothing since.

Thanks
    Elaine

17. markuss

You need an "identity" (email address) and password with ETS. Then you can log on to the ETS site and it says what the status of your application is.

18. delenn

delenn New commenter

I've just had e mail from a senior marker asking if I would be interested in being a TL. I pointed out that I hadn't been confirmed as a marker yet and they said that they can get me confirmed. However, it doesn't bode well for this year admin wise.

19. A colleague of mine is a team leader and he says it's in a terrible mess thisyear because of the changeover.

20. Recieved my contract on Saturday morning. First time marking NCTs.

V