1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 years a teacher. Now what?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lemondrop, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Have made the utterly terrifying decision to walk away from teaching, after 20 years.
    The reasons are many and complex and I'm not going to whinge on.
    Scariest part is I have no idea what to do now to earn a crust.
    Any ideas?

2. Hi all,
    thanks for your support and suggestions.

I really don't know where to go from here, if I'm honest, the thought of stepping back into school makes me feel ill (bodes well for the next term!!) but I know I could do supply teaching relatively easily.

I'm realistic enough to know I won't earn as much as I do now. We're a double income family, so while our income will be drastically reduced, at least there'll still be something coming in.

Keep coming up with ideas pls :)

3. Having been a teacher seems to be a 'kiss of death' as far as employers are concerned, perhaps because although they might have many transferable skills, not so many of them are directly transferable to other jobs. It could also have something to do with everyone, prospective employers too, has been to school, and might still have some simmering grudge against teachers.

4. You are just hilarious!