1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 week scan - kidney problems

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by tartetatin, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi! My sister had her 20 week scan today and found out that she's expecting a wee girl. Her delight is tinged with worry however, as the scan showed that the baby has a kidney problem and only one kidney is functioning.
    My sis is now scared of what would happen if this kidney stopped working.
    Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks x

2. I dont have any experience at all -sorry but didnt want it to go unanswered. It might be worth posting it on pregnancy on mumsnet because there are a lot more people with more varied experience on there. Presumably she is seeing a consultant?

3. I know at least 3 people who were found to have kidney problems when they were a baby. It is relatively common, something like 1 in 200. Although I am not completely sure of the exact problems they had, they all had an operation to improve the function of the kidney at a very early age. In one case the operation managed to return function of the kidney to normal. None of them have had problems with their other kidney and it hasn't seemed to affect their lives, (playing sports, drinking, eating or illness etc). They have all been left with quite a big scar (side of stomach to belly button), but their operations were over 20 years ago. Now I believe it is done by keyhole surgery, so its much neater.
    I hope this is of some comfort and that your sisters pregnancy is progressing well.