1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20% sale

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by labellaroma, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I changed quite a few of mine to £3. I think it has had an impact on sales and I am gradually reducing some of them. Rather have more sales less than £3 and get something rather than no sales at all. With my future resources I am making them a little more substantial to justify the £3 price...

2. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I also kept almost all my resources the same price. I took the 30p transaction fee on the chin. I knew that my resources were comprehensive and could be offered at a higher price. However, I felt happier offering a keen price with hopefully more sales. Holiday period was dead but things are picking up. I have 50 premium resources on offer with some freebies. It will be interesting to see what happens next! Good luck to all fellow authors.

3. The_English_Tutor

The_English_Tutor New commenter

I've put up some free stuff too and whilst it's been downloaded hundreds of times, I've had just 2 reviews and negligible secondary sales...I did get one £5 + during the sale but not sure if I'd have got that anyway...the online sales seem to be more profitable. Overall though, September is looking like my best month ever...nearly 900 views of 106 resources...and sales to match....I guess it's all peaks and troughs...

4. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I put mine up. Tes get enough from me already in my opinion!

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I haven't added any resources to TES since the increase as decided to prioritise selling in other places instead. Currently updating my own site where prices will be lower than on here.

Views this month are on a par with April (which was very low). Sales are slightly down on April. tes1.png
    I have sold resources at £5+ this month. Just not on TES! Either people don't realise they could get the same resources at a discounted price on here during the sale... or they don't care.

My experience with sales on here has always been that they make little difference. The only thing that makes a definite difference is if you are bumped up the search results or featured in some way.

6. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I have already commented about the same resources being featured continually on the Top Picks!
    Surely,.there should be a regular rotation of featured resources.

This would display 'a spirit of fairness' to many authors who produce quality resources that have taken time and effort.

Personally, I have spotted several remaining in the 'top spot' for days and often weeks at a time. Then they mysteriously disappear only to resurface again a week later! If there is such a variety to choose from, then why is this happening?

Krazikas, mathsmutt and thinky like this.
  7. hoppytimes

hoppytimes New commenter

I agree with Alice. I almost know some of the promoted resources by heart because they seem to be constantly appearing on the right hand side of my pages. I also noted that some sellers are being promoted a lot more often than others, which is obviously not a fair competition.

8. thinkypublishing

That's long been a bugbear. It's very frustrating (unless you happen to be one of them of course).

I've noticed there appear to be some different authors being promoted more particularly of late which is good to see but the diversity and rotation are lacking.

I did have my shop featured once - I think it was August last year o_O:mad::confused:

joannammarsh, mrajlong and mathsmutt like this.
  9. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I think that's possibly 100% more than me!
    (Maybe I blinked and missed it)

Krazikas, Alice K and mrajlong like this.
  10. thinkypublishing

And yet it was one of the selling features of going for gold!

mathsmutt and mrajlong like this.
  11. davlae

davlae New commenter

Although I very am lucky to have a few Tes Recommended resources and it has made a bit of difference to their sales, some do, however, seem to appear a lot more 'airtime' than others. What a waste! If you don't buy a resource the first time you see it - I would have thought it unlikely you are going to buy it after seeing it 100 times.

Why are they showing me GCSE French resources when they know I have only looked at KS2 maths resources in the past?

What I see should be based on what I have looked at (and perhaps purchased) before and it should be different every time + some new things I might be interested in. Surely it is not that difficult for the site to learn what I might want to buy. The whole thing should create a reaction of "Oh - that looks good" and not "Oh no - not that again!" A real wasted opportunity!

12. thinkypublishing

Exactly!

mathsmutt likes this.
  13. The_English_Tutor

The_English_Tutor New commenter

I put some up, if I thought they would still sell, but I have kept some at their original price as I felt it wasn't fair to raise the prices of everything...overall though, it doesn't seem to affect too many...I just have to be careful if launching a sale myself...now tend to put sales of bundles only to avoid additional costs...

14. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

I put mine all up to £5. No sales. The market won't sustain that price (for my resources). 29 sales since I reduced everything back down to £2. Oddly, my bundles don't really sell either, despite being significantly cheaper.

I do think it's interesting we've not really seen a comment from the TES staff on this post. We could do with some sort of communication re: featured posts and timelines for features. The platform is nothing without authors and it's clear both authors and sellers are pretty frustrated with lots of things. I'd like to see some plans for improving the quality of what is available. Again, we mainly see emails asking people to dump as many resources up in as short a time as possible in order to get some sort of bonus.

mathsmutt likes this.
  15. thinkypublishing

I haven't seen one of those for a long time. I'd assumed they'd given up on that strategy.

magicinkstand and mathsmutt like this.
  16. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Another promotion comes along SEPTEMBER-SAVER with no impact whatsoever. And once again it is only for new buyers. Sigh

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  17. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

I also assumed they have got rid of this strategy as it has been a while since I had any kind of rewards offered for uploading resources.

18. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

So sorry to hear that the current promotion has had no impact on your earnings. Last week my sales soared. Might be that my resources are French and are attracting first time buyers here on TES. My weekly views and downloads were much higher than usual as well. Hope it continues to the end of the month and that you'll see an increase in your sales too.

19. hoppytimes

hoppytimes New commenter

I had over 500 views the other day (which for me is Huge), never transpired in more sales though, so go figure o_O
    I also agree with mrajlong, Tes should encourage repeat customers with codes, maybe not as much as a £3 off ones, but a £1 off offer for existing buyers might go a long way.

Littlesherbetlemon likes this.
  20. Resource_Creator

Resource_Creator New commenter

I've had my best month in September. Only been on here for 6 months though. 1 sale over $5 for the special.

MikeRichards likes this.