1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20% off TVs at Tesco...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lilachardy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

... that's VAT free.

NO NO NO!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

... that's VAT free.

NO NO NO!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

VAT free is never VAT free anyway.
    Customs & Excise don't let the company off because they are selling things at a discount. They just pay the VAT on a lower sale price.

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

If I were you I would take five of them to the check-out. 20% off 5 TVs must be 100% off altogether, surely?
    Worth a try ...

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I'm so glad it's not just me that's anal about this. It's almost as annoying as the signs in shops that shout about their sale which has 'UP TO 80% OFF'.

AAAAAARRRGGGHHH...

sorry for ranting. I feel 20% better now.

6. But you would get 100% off

Trouble is you are buying 500% of TVs

Re the OP ... aaaaaaaaaaaargh

7. Oh cmon, let the buyer psychology appeal to the masses [​IMG]
    New Year "We hate VAT rises" culture eased by a nice little softner.
    I like Tescos ATM. I needed a memory stick in a rush.... £15 something quid...through the self service...£2.99...hmm
    Looked at the few 9-5ers behind me and thought..."they can hang on"...so back to the shelf...3 more...yes...still all going through at £2.99....another trip later, 7 more and I look like a mobile f'ing server stumbling out of Tesco.
    So, Mr Tesco, you may screw up, but thanks on this one [​IMG]
    ...and further thanks for the additional clubcard points...not quite enough to get another memory stick but I thank you all the same. I shall use the points towards one of your 20% TVs and claim the VAT back through my business

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I like to think it's Tesco doing their bit for education.
    The removal of the 17.5% rate took away an interesting maths technique, but now we have this bizarre claim we have a whole new investigation!

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

My sister found a hefty Sainsburys clubcard point offer on loose bananas. It was such a good deal that she went through the checkout with a single banana several times until they noticed, removed the offer and started getting the message out to other stores.