1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 MINUTE YEAR 3 LESSON ON ANYTHING? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by snoopyboo, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

I am hoping for some help for an interview lesson I have on Tuesday.

It is at my dream school and I really want the job. I can teach anything to a Year 3 class. It will be mixed abilities, but is in an affluent area.

I only have 20 minutes and need to wrap up my activity in that time. I was thinkig of doing a Literacy activity, but have not taught Year 3.

Has anyone done any great activities in this area? I was thinking maybe something even around a story sack but I can't think what?

Please, if you have any ideas, let me know!
    Thank you so much!

2. Hello everyone,

I am hoping for some help for an interview lesson I have on Tuesday.

It is at my dream school and I really want the job. I can teach anything to a Year 3 class. It will be mixed abilities, but is in an affluent area.

I only have 20 minutes and need to wrap up my activity in that time. I was thinkig of doing a Literacy activity, but have not taught Year 3.

Has anyone done any great activities in this area? I was thinking maybe something even around a story sack but I can't think what?

Please, if you have any ideas, let me know!
    Thank you so much!

3. Check objecctives, but rhyming poetry is always good fun with Y3.

4. I will look at the new framework's objectives,

any ideas in particular anyone?

5. Limericks? Have just done these with my Year 3s and they loved them! We read lots of Edward Lear and beat out the rhythm on desks before doing one as a class and then devising their own in pairs.

6. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Kennings? my year 3's loved doing these, I had one written already and we went through it - also meant that they found out lots of stuff about me and I found out lots about them too (had only been teaching them for 2 weeks at the time).

They should be able to write a few lines in ten mins

7. I know it'll mean leaving it till the last minute, but how about asking the school if they're doing any topics and link it to that?

8. I taught a 20 minute lesson to a year 3 class at an interview on similes. I put the powerpoint (simile cluedo) on the resources. I also have the lesson plan if you want it. i tried to upload that and couldn't get it working.

let me know if you're interested

julietmancey@yahoo.co.uk

had very good feedback from the interviewer about the lesson, just f*cked up the interview hence why i didn't get the job!!!!

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

snoopyboo, are you intending to achieve well in this interview on your own merits or on the expertise and skills of someone else?

You have no more than 20 minutes to prove your worth.

Either do it yourself, or leave the profession! If you are not capable of teaching a Year 3 class for a 20 minute lesson of "anything", then you should seriously consider your abilities as a teacher.

10. oodlesofdoodles

oodlesofdoodles New commenter

nomad I think you are being a little harsh! snoopyboo has decided on literacy which is a start...if they have the choice of ANYTHING then that makes it difficult to know where to start anyway!
    Also, 20 mins is not long, so asking for advice is perfectly acceptable!

snoopydog - poetry is always a good idea, just look at the objectives and the success criteria. Good luck!

hexatek54 likes this.
  11. Taught Yr3 last yr and poetry also came to mind. Mine loved the Magic Box by Kit Wright. Perhaps you could make up a 'magic box' (I used shimmering gold wrapping paper to cover a shoe box) as a stimulus for their ideas, with a few items that they could describe. They could use mini whiteboards and pens to write a few lines of their own. Use talking partners to get ideas flowing.

http://www.poetryclass.net/lessona.htm

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

oodlesofdoodles, I disagree.

However, if (and in this particular instance it is not the case) I advertised for a post and I found that a candidiate for interview was relying on an internet forum for ideas, then he/she would not get beyond the front door on interview day.

I would expect a candidate to get through the interview on his/her own merits. If he/she cannot organise and teach a 20 minute lesson for interview, then God help us!!!

Headteachers read this forum too, you know.

13. nomad I think head teachers need to realise that ALL teachers get advice for observation lessons. A teacher in my last school went to everyone in our school and asked their opinion on her lesson ideas. Whether it's on here or in the staff room most people do it.

hexatek54 likes this.
  14. sorry for my spaces- I need sleep
    headteacher
    staffroom!
    lol

hexatek54 likes this.
  15. oodlesofdoodles

nomad - I am aware that headteachers read this forum too. I don't see anything wring with getting ideas and advice from this forum - full lesson plans that are not adapted to suit the individual - yes, but not advice and ideas!

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Most (line 4) or all (line 1)?

In any event, I disagree with you.

Less than 6 months ago, I interviewed a teacher who taught a lesson using a set of plane that I had posted on the internet. I did not mind that much until she claimed that they were her own! They even had my © on the bottom of the page of her lesson plans!!

Sharing resources is an excellent idea, and I fully endorse it.

Being unable to attend an interview without relying on other teachers' expertise?

Forget it!!

17. oodlesofdoodles

apologies to snoopyboo - we have temporarily hi-jacked your thread.

18. If a teacher posts their ideas and asks for opinions on them or for advice on how to deliver them that's ok as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps if you say what you are thinking of doing in your lesson people could help. Just saying "a literacy lesson" is a bit open. That's what makes people think you are not doing your own work.

19. I am fed up of posts like this! If you don't want to help people then don't! Keep on walking!

hexatek54 likes this.
  20. You disagree that most teachers ask for some form of advice on lesson observations? lol.