1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 Minute Reading Lesson for Schools Direct Interview - Help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by naomialangford, Mar 28, 2017.

1. naomialangford

naomialangford New commenter

Hi All,

I'm very new to this site and will hopefully be using it a lot in the foreseeable future.

I have a PGCE Schools Direct Interview for Primary. I have passed the first round of presentations/literacy tests and essay writing (!!) at university but now need to focus and plan a 20 minute lesson for the School Interview.

Can anyone help with some suggestions?
    I need a suitable text for Yr2 or Yr3's - I was thinking any kind of Roald Dahl as the stories are fun and I can maybe use props or visual/auditory aids.
    Wondered if anyone has had any experience of this? How much time do I spend reading a text and then doing activities? Should I do a warm up and a cool down exercise? I only have 8 children to teach which is nice but obviously I am completely unaware of their abilities.

Any comments/activity suggestions would be fab. Thanks in advance!

2. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

I'd pick something shorter you can get through in the time you have, or just a couple of pages from the text.
    I wouldn't spend more than 5 minutes reading or better still have the children read it themselves.
    Think about what you want the children to learn in the session then plan your task from that! Don't put in warm ups just for the point of it, only if they are relevant to learning. Especially when you only have 20 minutes.

naomialangford and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. naomialangford

naomialangford New commenter

Thank you! Would you suggest getting the children to read as a group? i don't want to "pick" on them and put them on the spot considering it's our first meet and we've got 20 minutes together.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Have a look at the national curriculum for English for year 2 and year 3.
    Then decide what you actually want them to learn in your session, choose from the NC.
    Then choose a suitable text.
    Then organise your activities.

Much as I agree a Roald Dahl book is fine for the age range, choosing it because
    might not win you a place on the course.

Ensure children learn and make progress and you'll look fab!

Best of luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

Round robin reading isn't done so much anymore (one child reading). You could maybe have them read to themselves and discuss tricky words as they come up, but as Caterpillar said what you focus on is the learning intention.

So if you are focusing on authorial intent objectives then you won't be spending time on decoding words :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. sammybourne

sammybourne New commenter

hi could anyone give me an idea on some 20 minute activities for a year 3 group please? I have to do one as part of my interview. I was thinking of getting them to design a poster on internet safety. Would this be a good idea? thanks

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have to say that the 'Design a Poster' was my least favourite activity as a supply teacher and generally the children felt the same. They can be a useful activity f part of a whole programme but as a one-off has less potential to showcase progress.

Also we always tell people not to post too much information on open for a- Interview panels also may see these, identify your plans and assume you're not capable of thinking of your own ideas.:(

So go online and find some of the Year 3 objectives. Choose an appropriate one and then decide what you can plan to develop skills.