1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20 minute reading activity for interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by natalie_northover, Nov 13, 2018.

1. natalie_northover

natalie_northover New commenter

Hi
    I have been offered an interview for a school direct PGCE in a couple of weeks time. I have to do a 20 minute reading activity and have no idea where to start! I’m told I won’t know the age group until the day before the interview. The task will need to be adaptable. I will get marked on my time management and my ability to engage the students etc. Any ideas? What have others done for this type of task? Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well first piece of advice is you need to work to your strengths. So if you're dyslexic, don't do a spelling activity. ;) Silly example I know but you get the point about avoiding things you feel under-confident with.

Meanwhile do a bit of research / reflect on any school experience you've had about suitable activities for each year group. Then when you know the age group, you can move straight on to thinking about the activities. ditto with considering some suitable texts.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Picture book every time - find a good one and get them inferring, predicting, analysing and discussing.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Stiltskin and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

I suggest you use a picture book that is suitable for lots of different ages (Leon and the place between for example). There is so much you could do with a book of this type because it is accessible to young children on a basic level but is filled with endless possibilities and challenges for older children.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Is it a 'reading' activity, or a 'book-based' activity? There's a difference I think.

Off the top of my head, I'd say don't plan to read for more than 8 minutes, then have 2 mins of discussion and a 7 minute activity and 3 minute review at end.

E.g. For Year 3... Read first few pages of Leon, until he gets to the place between and then look together at the images... "what things can you see?" Students should split their paper / whiteboards into 2 columns - write down these nouns on the right (you model spellings). Now... In pairs, write matching adjectives. Then review phrases together as a group.

E.g. pale, floating chess piece

For Year 4, encourage a 2A style sentence (see Alan Peat)

For Year 5, encourage them to include more sophisticated language / phrases / figurative language and lead into sentences e.g.

The mystical, levitating rook, which was as pale as bone, spun through the air.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. -EqualityStreet-

-EqualityStreet- New commenter

Ditto re: doing a 20 minute reading activity for SD interview in a few weeks - i think for me it's sticking to the timings and pitching at the right level that feel a bit daunting. Appreciate the advice @Northern_Miss !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. MissieTrex

MissieTrex New commenter

I would choose a book like ‘Angus rides the goods train’ - a good book that is interesting and emotional. This book was read at a course I was at.

Intro - discuss love of books with them (what are you reading, how does it make you feel? What types of books do you read? Does your family read? Etc. This hopefully will get your personality /teaching style across. Isn’t it a shame that when children learn to read that they don’t get read to anymore! It is really enjoyable to hear a book being read. Some people hear he voices of the characters in their head, some see a film in their mind’s eye. We are all different so think about what you do as I read. )

Set task - listen to the book & if you want to discuss words ‘tap’
    Discuss title/author/ predict what you think the book is about
    Read - pause at times to discuss what might happen next or interesting vocabulary or to clarify understanding.

Talking & listening activity -
    Modelling - q pupils about book (different types dependent on group - look at blooms taxonomy)
    Discuss with a partner what the book made you think off.
    Create questions with pupils (you could write some of them up but prob no time. Praise pupils /support them with types of questions. Pupils answer in a full sentence. (Model)

Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. nataliawasilewska97

nataliawasilewska97 New commenter

Hi, I loved your planning and advice on the post!

Would you be able to help me out as well? I have 2 books- 'The Book with no pictures' and 'where the wild things are'. My interview will be with ks1 so 5 to 7 year olds and I won't know which one until I get there. Which book do you think would be better for that age group and what could I do ?
    Thank You :)

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The one which 'fires you up'. that way you'll be more enthusiast during the lesson. Ditto with activities. But please remember follow guidelines for Year Objs to choose your LO from and let that drive all other considerations.

10. debdowdall

debdowdall New commenter

This wa very interesting as I have just had a lesson observation on 'sharing a book with the children with a clear LO' and I chose 'The true story of the 3 little pigs'. I introduced it and the chn did a recount verbally of the 3 little pigs. I explained that was by the pigs and asked them to see who this book was by (the wolf). The LO was inference and prediction and all the way through I questioned what might happen, how could the characters be feeling (asking why when they responded) etc. The end was a talk partner time on whether they felt the wolf was Big and Bad or not and why not. The replies ranged from 'not his fault as he had a cold' 'pigs were mean to him' - yet the Head failed me for not providing activities!!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

The madness of the modern primary school.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. sophie_anderson2

sophie_anderson2 New commenter

Hi Natalie? How did that task go? I have the same one I’ve been asked to do on Thursday coming so any advice or tips would be great!

13. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Hi, I had an interview and observation recently for mainstream primary scitt and wasn’t told age group before I went, or given the option of choosing the book as it was handed to me 5 minutes before the observation. I currently work in SEN admin so I taught the pupils a few makaton signs as we went through the book, we all made the noises of the animals in the story and at the end discussed what they did or did not like about the story and what the story was really about. Time went very quickly and it was much easier than I’d expected. Hope it all goes well for you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.